Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #571
Lisadaa2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I believe, not sure about this, but the preferred buildings like 14 are only 25$ more per night. Again, not sure about that. But it is literally only minute or two by foot. Here is a youtube video I did one year. My room was on the second floor though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8zEi...qNcpBU2MO-lIrQ
I would LOVE to have building 14! I tried to get a preferred room because I have no problem paying for that but they we not available for free dining . So i figured I would request the next best thing. Maybe I should send the fax, at least for my mother's room.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #572
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisadaa2 View Post
I would LOVE to have building 14! I tried to get a preferred room because I have no problem paying for that but they we not available for free dining . So i figured I would request the next best thing. Maybe I should send the fax, at least for my mother's room.
Private messaged you...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #573
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesh201 View Post
We just returned from a 5 day stay at POR in a river view RGR and were put in Oak Manor.

Hammocks: Probably my favorite thing. While the kids and my husband napped in the room on our park days, I laid in the hammock and read my book. Soooo relaxing!
Thanks for the really useful review, and I'm glad you had such a great time. So many of the things people stress about in advance on the boards really do turn out to be mostly non-issues once you get there - as you say, a little bit of a walk at Port Orleans is so relaxing that you almost want to take the long way round anyway!

The hammocks you mention are new by the way, they were only installed a few weeks ago, sounds like they are a hit already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseystigger View Post
Am at POR in my Royal Guest Room writing to you now as I look out my river view at a staircase
Sorry about your view, I guess it can be difficult to make sure that guests get two connecting rooms where the view is just as good from both rooms. Sounds like you should have warned your sister in advance about those noisy, draughty old corner rooms and I'm sure she'd have swapped with you. At least you got a discount though, which helps - I assume a change of location (which would have meant two new rooms) wouldn't have been very easy for you.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #574
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Just back during the night & POR was the 1st stop on our ME bus, then went to BW, BC & YC after. I was pleasantly surprised!

We were in Magnolia Terrace & room was clean & nice. Friends were in Oak Manor Royal Room & their room was great as well. Coffee pods (for those that had asked) are plentiful & they'll bring you more if you need them. It was a short walk over either bridge (by Parterre or Magnolia) to the main area.

I must have been on the opposite bus of everyone else that was there last week - we found the bus service poor most of the time. I waited at East Depot for 35 min. for a MK bus one day, 25 min. was the norm. Now bus service back to POR from parks was just fine, never more than a 5 min. wait, even at MK closing. That was great. One day there was a transportation CM at the East Depot checking times. This was the day of the 25 min. wait. He was aware of it & said they're tracking bus times heavily. So hopefully this will improve over time.

We did the Carriage ride which was very nice & relaxing. It was nice to get to see POFQ as well on the ride. Our driver was sweet & very knowledgeable about Disney.

If you're going this week be prepared for the Gartner Group conference. They were bussing them in (on disney size buses) all day yesterday, there were hundreds of them.

Parks were moderate to full. We learned our lesson about Epcot on a Sat. night during F&W. I have been going to F&W every year for many years & never encountered the drunken fools like we did this trip. I'd read on here the stories of it happening but had never seen it. It was pathetic. Large groups of intoxicated adults falling over, laying in bushes, being loud & obnoxious. One woman was staggering through WS screaming "Snow White was a ****!" in front of families & kids. All while pushing her baby in a stroller. We witnessed another group (who stood out all night) shoplifting. We told a CM who said it was a shame but they could do nothing. This same group had been pulled aside by security earlier in the evening as well. If anyone was at Epcot Sat. night it was the guy in the santa hat & beard - if you were there, you know who I mean! We know now to avoid F&W on weekend nights!

Another nice surprise was the "dress rehearsal" for Fantasyland. We ate at Gaston's & rode Enchanted Tales with Belle & Under the Sea. The whole area is done extremely well & the theming is amazing. Details everywhere! BOG was closed, they were filming something there so we couldn't get near it. The new mermaid details in POTC are fabulous!

Weather was very warm & humid until Saturday, then it cooled down to low 80's with little to no humidity. Looks like mid 80''s for the rest of this week.

Have fun to those of you just leaving!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #575
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
Just back during the night & POR was the 1st stop on our ME bus, then went to BW, BC & YC after. I was pleasantly surprised!

We were in Magnolia Terrace & room was clean & nice. Friends were in Oak Manor Royal Room & their room was great as well. Coffee pods (for those that had asked) are plentiful & they'll bring you more if you need them. It was a short walk over either bridge (by Parterre or Magnolia) to the main area.

I must have been on the opposite bus of everyone else that was there last week - we found the bus service poor most of the time. I waited at East Depot for 35 min. for a MK bus one day, 25 min. was the norm. Now bus service back to POR from parks was just fine, never more than a 5 min. wait, even at MK closing. That was great. One day there was a transportation CM at the East Depot checking times. This was the day of the 25 min. wait. He was aware of it & said they're tracking bus times heavily. So hopefully this will improve over time.

We did the Carriage ride which was very nice & relaxing. It was nice to get to see POFQ as well on the ride. Our driver was sweet & very knowledgeable about Disney.

If you're going this week be prepared for the Gartner Group conference. They were bussing them in (on disney size buses) all day yesterday, there were hundreds of them.

Parks were moderate to full. We learned our lesson about Epcot on a Sat. night during F&W. I have been going to F&W every year for many years & never encountered the drunken fools like we did this trip. I'd read on here the stories of it happening but had never seen it. It was pathetic. Large groups of intoxicated adults falling over, laying in bushes, being loud & obnoxious. One woman was staggering through WS screaming "Snow White was a ****!" in front of families & kids. All while pushing her baby in a stroller. We witnessed another group (who stood out all night) shoplifting. We told a CM who said it was a shame but they could do nothing. This same group had been pulled aside by security earlier in the evening as well. If anyone was at Epcot Sat. night it was the guy in the santa hat & beard - if you were there, you know who I mean! We know now to avoid F&W on weekend nights!

Another nice surprise was the "dress rehearsal" for Fantasyland. We ate at Gaston's & rode Enchanted Tales with Belle & Under the Sea. The whole area is done extremely well & the theming is amazing. Details everywhere! BOG was closed, they were filming something there so we couldn't get near it. The new mermaid details in POTC are fabulous!

Weather was very warm & humid until Saturday, then it cooled down to low 80's with little to no humidity. Looks like mid 80''s for the rest of this week.

Have fun to those of you just leaving!
That was a very nice review! Shame about the shoplifting!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #576
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Thanks Venomhatch!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #577
Maddie's Nana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisadaa2 View Post
I had the same problem - not available for free dining. Is it better to ask at check-in to see if rooms in Bldg. 14 are available (to pay) rather than faxing request?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #578
Duster72
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie's Nana View Post
I had the same problem - not available for free dining. Is it better to ask at check-in to see if rooms in Bldg. 14 are available (to pay) rather than faxing request?
Same question. I had to downgrade from River View to get Free Dining. Reservations show River View and Preferred as available for my travel dates. When is the best time to let them know I would like to pay for the upgraded rooms - do I have to wait until I get there at check in?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #579
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
You can ask at check-in, but basically you would have a new reservation and you will lose free dining. You will pay the highest rack rate for the room for that season.

Really, request one of the buildings right behind preferred; you won't be but two more minutes walk behind them.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #580
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Fro the map it looks like buildings 16 and 17 in AB are the closest buildings to the main building without paying for preferred. When making a request would it be best to ask for specific buildings or should I just ask for a room on the 1st floor (my special needs DD doesn't do well on stairs) as close as possible to the main building?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #581
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster72 View Post
Same question. I had to downgrade from River View to get Free Dining. Reservations show River View and Preferred as available for my travel dates. When is the best time to let them know I would like to pay for the upgraded rooms - do I have to wait until I get there at check in?
See my post above; it is a new ressie and you will lose free dining.

You have to decide which is more worth it to you.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #582
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
Fro the map it looks like buildings 16 and 17 in AB are the closest buildings to the main building without paying for preferred. When making a request would it be best to ask for specific buildings or should I just ask for a room on the 1st floor (my special needs DD doesn't do well on stairs) as close as possible to the main building?
Ask for close to main building; first floor.

Always make requests in the order of importance to you.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #583
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Ask for close to main building; first floor.

Always make requests in the order of importance to you.
Thanks. It doesn't matter that much which building. I'm just hoping to not get one that's really far away. First floor is even more important. DD can do stairs, but it could be torture for her and us to make her climb stairs after being in a park all day.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #584
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Thanks Venomhatch!
Your welcome!

Quote:
You can ask at check in. But if you go the way I have helped others you might have a better chance. PM me the details if you still need help.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #585
RubySlippers
DIS Veteran

Has anyone asked for the VIP cleaning at POR. We just found out our son has asthma and I was thinking about requesting this service. Thank you!
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: