Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #3616
SYLVESTER7577
RADIATOR MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
We just booked a standard view royal room.

Is there a building we should request? Is Parterre Place easier to get to POFQ food court?

We don't care about the bus system, we just want to be close to both food courts.
Your booking should put you towards the parking lot sections of the mansions (Oak Manor or Parteree). Parterre is the closest building to POFQ, maybe a 10 minute walk to the food court. POR foodcourt would be a bit closer depending where you land. The map on the first page will show the standard room area's. A pixie dust request to GV would get you closer yet. Either way the walks are pleasant.

WDW 2006 TWICE WDW 2007
WDW 2009 TWICE WDW 2010 TWICE WDW FWC 2011
WDW FWC SPRING 2012 WBC FALL 2012
WDW POR JANUARY 2013 OFF SITE MARCH 2013 CS APRIL 2013 WBC OCTOBER 2013
WDW POP JANUARY 2014 POP MAY 2014 POP OCTOBER 2014
Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #3617
ahutton
WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Hi all, I am halfway through reading this very long thread at the moment!! I will get there eventually

I have booked my first ever trip to WDW for April this year and I am SO excited! In fact I have never even been to America before (I am from the UK) so this is a massive trip for me!

I have a couple of questions (I am sure there will be more soon especially regarding room preferences but I will get to then later!). Firstly, what is Micky Mail and will I get it over here in the UK (I don't want to miss out on anything!). Secondly, what is the easiest way to get some bottles of water to keep in my room/ take to the parks with me? I am staying for 2 weeks, but will not have a car - using the ME from the airport and then buses on the resort

Thanks so much for your help and also thank you to Andre and Venon for all of the helpful information throughout the post
The easiest way I know would to be order from GardenGrocer.com. They will deliver to the hotel and you can get water, snacks, just about anything you will need!

Proud Second Generation SwanDolphin Cheerleader
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #3618
Martyboy08
Earning My Ears

We are leaving in 3 weeks for our 1st family vacation at POR!

Finally finish reading all the posts. I am looking for recommendations about free online fax for room request. I would be grateful for some info.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #3619
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley

Have a fabulous time, I hope you get to spend some of it just enjoying being back at POR too.

It'll be nice to try another section too - you did the Royal Rooms before, and now you've got the slightly different adventure of Alligator Bayou to explore. I love the lush landscaping there, and the more relaxed, informal feel to the quiet pools. And the kids will adore the fold-down bed!

Andre
I know, I know!!! We are so excited! We are NOT doing any parks - just hanging out at the resort! We are in big trouble now that we have stayed on site - will never be able to be offsite again. Will have to start saving up as soon as we get home
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #3620
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

We arrived this afternoon. The line at check in was long but it moved quickly. We are in Acadian House. The room is very nice and clean. We have a pool view but you can't see the pool, lol. That's okay, I booked it so we would be near a quite pool for evening swims. Love this resort.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #3621
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Have fun, take lots of pictures, and enjoy your MK photo shoot!!!!
Awwww thank you! We are super excited!!!!!!

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #3622
nedac
Mouseketeer

Here now... I should have re sent my request fax. Not a single request was honored. Kinda bummed, but definitely not a deal breaker. Hoping my baby girl sleeps tonight.
February 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
April 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
October 2011 - All Star Music
October 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2009 - All Star Movies
November 2008 - POP Century
October 2007-POP Century
November 2006 - All-Star Movies
May 2000 - Off-site
July 1997 - Off-site
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #3623
dawgsgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedac View Post
Here now... I should have re sent my request fax. Not a single request was honored. Kinda bummed, but definitely not a deal breaker. Hoping my baby girl sleeps tonight.
Sorry..same thing happened to us. Got to remember that a faxed request is not a guarantee. It does not help when the resort is full. Hope you have a great trip!!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #3624
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Originally I was suggesting for guests to send them in 2 weeks before arrival. Just so in cases like this it could be resent. I also welcome guests that are concerned about no replies to PM me and I'll see what I can help with.

* I really am sorry to hear about the requests.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #3625
MK4ever
Mouseketeer

Got back last week from POR. Can I say my husband and I LOVED, LOVED this resort! It is now our favorite. So peaceful and relaxing. Could not believe we would love it over WL or BC but we did.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #3626
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaz View Post
So, it's me, my DD5 and my 2 parents, booked into a Garden View Royal Room at POR. What are the best rooms in that category? suggestions on what to request?
I'd suggest asking for a courtyard-facing room on the river side of the buildings - Oak Manor might be a nice choice. If you get that, you'd have fairly easy access for the main buildings, the main pool, and the evening movies too. Perhaps ask for an upper floor (no noise from the room above) but that can add to the walking a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012DisneyWorldBride View Post
We leave tomorrow!!! So excited to tryout POR for our first time. We have booked a royal room with pool view.
Great choice of room, there are only a few Pool View Royal Rooms, and they are all very conveniently located for pretty much everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
We have the same category booked, and we didn't book a specific building. After great advice from our POR experts, I requested upper floor, river side of the building (so we might avoid the garden/parking lot view,) and close to the main areas.
Sounds like a great plan too, getting too specific can end up making it tricky to fulfill if that choice isn't available at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhguy View Post
Thank you! WOW - an email back too! That is awesome to hear!
Although the support provided by the POR room allocation team is amazing, please do remember that requests are still not guaranteed. I guess that sometimes they may be too busy, or have too many requests to handle, or whatever, and they have to prioritise medical/small children/etc requests? Also, simple one-room requests, such as "second floor" or "close to main building", might not get pre-blocked as it's often better to leave those to be handled by the Ready Room system (which means you will get an available room assigned when you arrive, rather than having to wait until later in the afternoon which might happen if they pre-assigned one particular room in advance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Firstly, what is Micky Mail and will I get it over here in the UK (I don't want to miss out on anything!). Secondly, what is the easiest way to get some bottles of water to keep in my room/ take to the parks with me? I am staying for 2 weeks, but will not have a car - using the ME from the airport and then buses on the resort
The Mickey Mail thing is a postal package with things like Magical Express luggage tags, etc. I don't think we get those in the UK (I never have, but then I tend to drive anyway). Garden Grocer or WalMart are good choices for delivery of water/etc to the hotel, try to time it so it arrives just before you do, and use the resort's street address rather than the PO Box number. To be honest, I don't find the water from the drinks fountains at the WDW food courts all that bad, although the tap water tastes a little chloriney.

Hope you have a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
We just booked a standard view royal room.

Is there a building we should request? Is Parterre Place easier to get to POFQ food court?

We don't care about the bus system, we just want to be close to both food courts.
The problem is the POR and POFQ food courts are in opposite directions, and you will most likely be on the other side of the buildings (parking lot side) anyway. Take a look at the map on www.portorleans.org/royal-rooms.php, which has clickable links to floorplans of all the buildings so you can see where the Standard rooms are located in relation to the other parts of the resort. The POFQ food court will always be further than the POR one though, so I'd suggest using POR access as your main aim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyboy08 View Post
Finally finish reading all the posts. I am looking for recommendations about free online fax for room request. I would be grateful for some info.
See the info in the first post which covers making faxed requests in more detail now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
I know, I know!!! We are so excited! We are NOT doing any parks - just hanging out at the resort! We are in big trouble now that we have stayed on site - will never be able to be offsite again. Will have to start saving up as soon as we get home
Sorry for the ongoing expense this is going to cause you, but welcome to the club! In the meantime, enjoy being back at POR, take the river ferry to DTD, hire a surrey bike, watch a movie and roast some marshmallows in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgsgirl View Post
Sorry..same thing happened to us. Got to remember that a faxed request is not a guarantee. It does not help when the resort is full. Hope you have a great trip!!
Quite. And as I said above, I think sometimes they may prefer to leave requests to be fulfilled by the Ready Room system. Doing Online Checkin might help though, as those rooms are manually allocated a few hours before you are due to arrive, so they should check for any logged requests then.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 02-10-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #3627
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran

I think today is my online check in day!!! but for some reason its not doing anything when I click on Check-in? I wanted a little disney in our Sunday is it not working for anyone else?
DS (14)
Lily
Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #3628
mom2princesses2
DIS Veteran

Review of POR and a Royal Room

Just back from an 8-night stay in a RR at POR and thought I'd throw a review out there.

First, HUGE THANK YOUS to Andre for this thread and his website and to Venomhatch for his advice. Both helped tremendously in my planning!

POR - A beautiful resort with lots of amenities. We are "park people" who spend almost all our time in a park rather than doing things at a resort slew didn't take advantage of most of the things offered but we saw plenty if people enjoying the surrey bikes, carriage rides and outdoor movies.

Royal Room - We choose a standard-view Royal Room but thanks to the fax request and Mr. David Elg, room assignment manager, we got upgraded to a river view RR. The RR is by far my favorite room we've stayed in at WDW. We have two DDs so anything princesses-related is a hit but I think any Disney-enthusiast would be impressed with the details. We had stayed last at CSR so I thought we'd miss the sliding door but we did not. The curtain and two sinks worked well. We were in room 9721 in Oak Manor and its location was perfect for us. It was on the second floor and looked over the courtyard where outdoor movies were shown in addition to the river. We were very close to the bridge leading to the lobby and the South Bus Depot and only a 3 minute walk from Ol' Man Island with a quiet pool just around the corner from our room.

Riverside Mill - We never ate at Boatwright's but we ate lunch and breakfast at Riverside Mill. The food was ok and came in large portions. The make-your-own pasta could have feed three of us. The choices were ok with breakfast being better. I prefer the Pepper Market at CSR but Riverside was fine.

Ol' Man Island - We enjoyed the quiet pools three times and Ol' Man Island once. Ol' Man Island is very shady with lots of trees and leaves in the pool, on the ground and covering chairs. It was probably just the time of the year that we were there. Also, there were not enough chairs for the crowd, especially in sunny spots. Again, probably only noticeable because it was a little chilly in the shade when we were there. One drawback was the inability to refill mugs at Muddy Rivers. You had to go to Riverside Mill to refill them. It's not a far walk, just not as convienent as CSR where you could refill them poolside. Plus Riverside Mill had a sign at the door specifying you need to wear shorts and pants so I wasn't sure if a wet bathing suit was ok. There were fun activities for the kids with two wonderful CMs leading games the whole time we were there. They even gave out small prizes to every kid who played any of the games. Our DDs really enjoyed the games and the slide. I enjoyed the hot tub and Cabana Banana drink!

Fulton General Store - Really nice selection of items although no resort- specific merchandise that I saw.

Bus Transportation - On our last stay at POR, we were near the East Depot and encountered too many full buses passing by us while we waited. I was really thankful when we were able to get close to the South Depot and it worked out for the most part. There were two mornings when we had to wait for a second bus. There were two evenings when the line for POR was excessively longer than other resorts, one at DHS and the other at the MK. The night at MK, we ended up taking the bus to POFQ and walking to our room from there. It was not a long walk at all and we enjoyed seeing a little bit of POFQ so it worked out. We definitely didn't have any bus issues like these before, but it really wasn't too bad for us.

POR CMs - The three CMs we dealt with directly at the front desk and Concierge during our stay weren't overly enthusiastic but were fine. We had hit-and-miss with cleaning CMs to the point we could see the one day when we had a really good CM clean the room but always appreciated the creative towel animals! And nothing to say our stay wax ruined by any. The greeters outside the lobby were always ready with stickers and smiles!

Overall - We would definitely stay at POR again and definitely a RR again!
Disneyland ~ July 2013/ Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room) ~ Feb. 2013 (DD's 5th & my 41st Birthdays) / Coronado Springs Resort ~ Nov. 2011 (DH's 43rd Birthday & MVMCP)/ Wilderness Lodge ~ Sept. 2010 (DD's 8th Birthday & MNSSHP) / Pop Century ~ Dec. 2006 (10th Wedding Anniversary & MVMCP) / Dixie Landings ~ Oct. 2000 (MNSSHP) / Dixie Landings ~ May 1994 / Non-property WDW visits ~ 1980 & 1985
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #3629
C&B Young
Twitter @CanaDisney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Make sure you take advantage of the boat to Downtown Disney! Our favorite non-park activity while staying at Port Orleans! It's especially beautiful at night.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #3630
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2princesses2 View Post

Royal Room - We choose a standard-view Royal Room but thanks to the fax request and Mr. David Elg, room assignment manager, we got upgraded to a river view RR. The RR is by far my favorite room we've stayed in at WDW. We have two DDs so anything princesses-related is a hit but I think any Disney-enthusiast would be impressed with the details. We had stayed last at CSR so I thought we'd miss the sliding door but we did not. The curtain and two sinks worked well. We were in room 9721 in Oak Manor and its location was perfect for us. It was on the second floor and looked over the courtyard where outdoor movies were shown in addition to the river. We were very close to the bridge leading to the lobby and the South Bus Depot and only a 3 minute walk from Ol' Man Island with a quiet pool just around the corner from our room.
I'm looking at the maps on portorleans.org and I'm confused as to where your room was. It looks like 9721 is in Parterre, and is a garden view, not a river view. The movies are shown at Oak Manor, right? So I'm trying to figure out how you were overlooking the courtyard there.
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: