Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #3271
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I feel that it's only fair to credit Venomhatch for his fax template; I wrote the general FAQ on the subject (www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php) but all the fax specific magic is Venom's.

You can always reply to David Elg's email to thank him for his help (he really does go way over and above the level of service you get at some of the other WDW resorts) but I would suggest that you also send a letter to the Port Orleans General Manager (either by fax or even better to the resort's postal address) or send an email to the WDW Guest Relations dept. Cast member appreciation is highly valued within Disney, so if you ever feel that someone has been particularly helpful then it's a really nice idea to let Disney know in writing.

Andre
Why thank you Andre, but I have always seen it as a team effort. For those of you reading this I am not Mr. Elg by any means. But I am guessing you could thank him by either leaving a card at the front desk for him. He will get it.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #3272
elfling8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Absolutely! You did know that Hollie has left POR though didn't you? As of about three weeks ago she's working daytime over at Kouzzina instead.
Andre
How is Kouzzina? We have an ADR for there the last night of our stay. Mom's one pick for a fancy restaurant for the week!

Me DH
DD10 DS8
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #3273
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

When I stayed at the GF, the concierge staff was beyond excellent. I had asked about tipping and was told the no tipping policy. I asked what I could do to show my appreciation and was told that a thank you letter to management is a very good thing and that while they can't accept tips, if someone should happen to deliver a gift basket of foodstuffs or wine, they are allowed to take that.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #3274
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

Quote:
It will most likely be deserted. The only slight blips that occur at that time of night are when a Magical Express bus arrives, but even then it usually only drops off a couple of people at that sort of time. This panorama was taken at around that sort of time of night in August, spot the person: www.portorleans.org/images/panoramas/POR-Main-2012-6436-pano360.swf

Andre
Let me guess, the person is in the tv!!! (I didn't see anyone else)

What about a double air bed with the queen beds? Can we move the furniture around?
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #3275
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539 View Post

What about a double air bed with the queen beds? Can we move the furniture around?
We just got back and stayed in an AB room with two queen beds and I think it would be really tough to fit a double airbed in there. A twin sized airbed would probably be fine, though. In our room, the pack n play was right net to a bed. That gave the door just enough room to open. There wouldn't be room between the beds or between the bed and the far wall. You could *maybe* move the table and chairs against the wall where the door opens and fit it where the table and chairs are, but I think that's the only place there would even be a possibility of fitting a double airbed and then I think it would be hard to walk around.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #3276
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

We booked a Standard Room for our May trip. Since there seem to be like 6 room categories now, does that mean a Standard Room is a Parking Lot view?

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #3277
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL, you too! I'm always doing that, I'm glad it's not just me.
And I'm glad it's not just me. LOL.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #3278
oasispaul
Mouseketeer

Quote:

It will most likely be deserted. The only slight blips that occur at that time of night are when a Magical Express bus arrives, but even then it usually only drops off a couple of people at that sort of time. This panorama was taken at around that sort of time of night in August, spot the person: www.portorleans.org/images/panoramas/POR-Main-2012-6436-pano360.swf

Andre

Andre - beautiful panorama! But your "spot the person" comment is messing with my head! Is there a person to be found? If there is, this is the most difficult "Where's Waldo" I've ever encountered..
APR 2009: Contemporary
FEB 2004: Villas at Wilderness Lodge
APR 1990: Polynesian

2001-2013: Epcot Beers Around the World (13 years and counting!)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #3279
Aatif911
Mouseketeer

views

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwdisney View Post
We booked a Standard Room for our May trip. Since there seem to be like 6 room categories now, does that mean a Standard Room is a Parking Lot view?
not necessarily. We had the standard view looking over the smaller pool and other villas. You can request a room that doesnt overlook the parking lot.

Upcoming Trip/s
12/14 CSR, 05/15 POFQ, and 10/15 POR
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #3280
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatif911 View Post
not necessarily. We had the standard view looking over the smaller pool and other villas. You can request a room that doesnt overlook the parking lot.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear!!! Thanks so much!!!

How far in advance can I send my fax request form? I have never done that in all my years of going to WDW!!

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #3281
Moneypenny
Mouseketeer

In less than 24 hours we will be at the airport. It will be about 8 degrees here and the forecast for next week in Florida looks glorious.

I sent a room request fax last week, but didn't hear back. Since I also had my requests attached to my original reservation, I'm not going to bother following up on the fax. For some reason it feels like I'd be nagging and I don't want to do that. We'll be happy to be there no matter where our room is.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone on the thread for the great info!
Carribean Beach Resort - October 2010
Carribean Beach Resort - March 2009
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #3282
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
In less than 24 hours we will be at the airport. It will be about 8 degrees here and the forecast for next week in Florida looks glorious.
So exciting! Just 3 days for us! Totally looking forward to not needing a winter coat

Have a safe flight!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #3283
Buzz's Buddy
DIS Veteran

We're looking forward to our POR stay from 4/2 to 4/10. We're going to visit my daughter who is on the college program and we were able to get a great CM rate.

We're a party of 5 so we'll be in an AB room.

We are DVC members and haven't stayed at POR in about 10 years. Reading this thread has been awesome. Can't wait to go back!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #3284
Teddie
Earning My Ears

Pool and dining questions

Hi all,
I was wondering about the life jackets people have mentioned borrowing. Can you borrow one for the whole time you are there or do you need to return it everyday? Also where you borrow (I'm assuming the marina) is it far from the main pool? Is there a cost associated with the life jackets (don't want to get there to have to turn around and run back to the room )?
I was also wondering how likely it would be to add two people to our dining reservations when we arrive. Our travel agent said I could call (I have 4 times so far with no luck of them being able to do it yet) but she also said when we check in or even that morning to try and talk to them. It's my MIL and mothers birthday on two of the nights and since my in laws decided later that they would come with us I wasn't able to get them in on those two nights.
I was also wondering when to ask about late checkout (flight leaves at 6 and we wanted to hit the pool and DTD before leaving), should I have put it in our room request fax? I sent that off yesterday.
Thanks so much for all the help!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #3285
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
For those of you reading this I am not Mr. Elg by any means.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply in any way that you were! I have met the now-famous Mr Elg on a few occasions, and I really don't think he's moonlighting on the boards as our very own Venomhatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwdisney View Post
Technically, yes. Take a look at the floorplans I created which show the official category of every room at Port Orleans. Click on the maps at www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php for each building.

However there are some more and some less direct views of the parking lots, and many people have been given what might technically be an upgrade to a better view category - but please don't rely on that always being possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasispaul View Post
Andre - beautiful panorama! But your "spot the person" comment is messing with my head! Is there a person to be found? If there is, this is the most difficult "Where's Waldo" I've ever encountered..
Sorry folks. There were actually three people (all cast members) in the photos that I took for that panorama, but the two CMs in plainest view who were compiling welcome packs ducked behind the desk when I scanned round past them, and the other CM is mostly behind a pillar in the distance, and I photoshopped her arm out of the final shot to keep it tidy. So "the camera never lies" was a lie after all.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 01-31-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: