Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #3226
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlooma View Post
One week until our 1st trip to POR (Feb6-16). We are so unbelievably excited.
One week for us too!! Guess we'll see you in the pool, we need to thaw out too!

Have a safe trip (where are you coming from?)

Thanks for all your help everyone - I am so happy that we decided on POR, it wasn't even an option until I found this thread and then I knew it was going to be perfect. You're all awesome!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #3227
ljcraw555
DIS Veteran

From the photos of the RRs it appears as though there isn't a ceiling fan in them. Is that correct?

Thanks!
March 2012 - CSR
May 2010 - Offsite - Windsor Hills
May 2009 - ASMu - Family Suite - AWESOME!
October 2007 - Pop Century / June 1994 - CBR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #3228
Shlooma
Earning My Ears

Canooknic,

We are coming from Montreal.

Last week , the weather here was totally frigid (-37 C) but today is a balmy +2. Not supposed to last more than 2 days.

Looking so forward to Florida sunshine.

See you at POR!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #3229
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell1984 View Post
Staying at POR mid May for my sons birthday, celebrating my daughters from April as well. We will most likely exclusively use our big double stroller. Both my kids are small in size, my daughter will be 4, and even though my son is 7 he gets worn out easily due to a blood thing he has (his body stays busy destroying blood cells and remaking them to keep up). I wasn't going to make a request, hoping for birthday magic I guess! LoL but one thing i think we'll find difficult is top floor in AB (large stroller+stairs+2 tired kids=camping out in the bayou! Lol) So should I wait and see if we get top floor at check in and then request bottom or mansions or make a pre fax request of just no top floor in AB? There are only 4 of us (my moms traveling to help me) so I assume we might be in mansions anyway? 1 reason I didn't want to request (other than hoping for magic) was during our last trip I requested things at "Sports" and didn't get that but got upgraded to preferred instead and had a wonderful so very convenient location! Better than my request ever dreamed of being! LoL
Because of your son's medical issue, I'd contact the Guests with Disabilities folks at (407) 824-4321 and get them involved so it becomes more than just a request. While the POR folks are terrific, as we've all learned, a medical need should trump a mere "request." (Said as a "mere requester" and very thankfully so.)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #3230
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

So one week to go and my dh is at the hospital getting a treatment because he has pneumonia. Has had a bad cough for 2 weeks and went to the dr. this am because he started coughing up blood. Had a chest x-ray.

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #3231
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese View Post
So one week to go and my dh is at the hospital getting a treatment because he has pneumonia. Has had a bad cough for 2 weeks and went to the dr. this am because he started coughing up blood. Had a chest x-ray.
Sending positive vibes your way for your hubby's speedy recovery!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #3232
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcraw555 View Post
From the photos of the RRs it appears as though there isn't a ceiling fan in them. Is that correct?

Thanks!
That is correct.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #3233
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
I was wondering in anyone knew what our chances would be for a bayou room? We are a family of four arriving in June

Thank you,
I would say pretty good since there are twice as many bayou rooms as non-royal mansion rooms (since royal rooms are a bookable category, you wouldn't get one unless you specifically booked it).
Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #3234
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
We are here & this resort is stunning!!!! Pictures online do not do it justice AT ALL. The RRs are spectacular - not too girly. They really are gorgeous.
So glad you're happy with your choice, it really is a magical place isn't it? And you're right about the Royal Rooms not being too girly, they are fine for boys too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Definitely check out Todd, John, and Holly in the lounge, as well as Yee-hah Bob. He is a not-to-be-missed attraction at POR.
Absolutely! You did know that Hollie has left POR though didn't you? As of about three weeks ago she's working daytime over at Kouzzina instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlooma View Post
Do you think asking for mansions, close to bridge and top floor is too much?
No, sounds fine to me. Explain your reasons too - don't make it too long (someone has to read through it) but give the basic information that you gave us here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
I was wondering in anyone knew what our chances would be for a bayou room? We are a family of four arriving in June
By random choice, about 2:1 in your favour - assuming you have booked one of the regular rooms. Preferred Locations are all in Alligator Bayou if you happen to have booked one of those. However there are no Royal Rooms in the Bayou section. Put in a request for AB and you stand a very good chance of getting it.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 01-30-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #3235
Jacqui
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
I would say pretty good since there are twice as many bayou rooms as non-royal mansion rooms (since royal rooms are a bookable category, you wouldn't get one unless you specifically booked it).

By random choice, about 2:1 in your favour - assuming you have booked one of the regular rooms. Preferred Locations are all in Alligator Bayou if you happen to have booked one of those. However there are no Royal Rooms in the Bayou section. Put in a request for AB and you stand a very good chance of getting it.

Andre[/QUOTE]

Yippee!! We currently only have a garden view booked for our room.

Thanks,

DH DS DD
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #3236
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Andre - thanks so much for telling me about Hollie; we have dinner ressies our first night at Kouzzina's, so I hope I get to see her.

I just adore Todd; he has been so good to me each trip. But I do spend a lot of time at the lounge and I am a good tipper, so that might be why.... just kidding.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #3237
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

LONG post about where I should request a room :)

I will be staying here by myself for a conference (off site - but hey, I had to book Disney ). Typically when I travel alone, I do not stay in first floor rooms for safety concerns. I do feel safer at Disney with all the families than at the hotels I stay at with a bunch of "single" traveling men though! I requested 2nd floor at CBR last year and the only thing that wasn't pleasant, was hauling my luggage up to the 2nd floor by myself since there are no elevators at CBR. BUT, it really wasn't a big deal for any other part of the stay!

I booked a standard room at POR arriving May 11 for 6 nights. I haven't stayed at POR since it was Dixie Landings in 2000 so I don't remember too much about room locations. I would like to be close to a parking lot since I will be commuting to the Orlando convention center for 3 of the days - but all the buildings look like they are near a parking lot. I would love a King bed, but I'm not paying more per night (but if they happened to put me in one, it wouldn't bother me ). I most likely will request a non-ground floor room and would prefer a building with an elevator only when I take my luggage in and out the first and last days and I will not use Bell Services (I don't like people touching my luggage or having it out of my sight when I travel alone). I will use the stairs otherwise. I believe that leaves me requesting Magnolia Bend and that would be awesome because I adore the look of these buildings. I will spend very little time in the room and when I do, I keep the curtains shut so a view is not a big deal. I would love to be closer to French Quarter but I'm a runner and thus, a big walker too so it isn't a big deal for me to walk extra distances.

So after reading ALL of that, where should I request a room location?

Let me guess, it is as simple as non-ground floor room in Magnolia Bend

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #3238
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Good morning from POR!!

We are here & this resort is stunning!!!! Pictures online do not do it justice AT ALL. The RRs are spectacular - not too girly. They really are gorgeous.

Had a few issues with the new RFID cards yesterday but nothing major. Check-in took quite a long time. The in-training CMs at check in were very nice but it just took a while - with 5 kids who had been up since 4am - the 30 minute process was not a good start.

Delivery of our bags took a long time as well. We arrived at 11:30 and our bags didn't arrive until sometime after we left for our Dinner ADR (4:30). Good thing we didn't need to change.

The CMs here are all so friendly.

Weather looks good for today so we are explorinf the resort today & heading to MK tomorrow!

Thank you once again to Venomhatch & Andre for all of their info & help for this resort

We are having a fabulous time!!
Glad to hear it I went last night back to my notes and remembered you got in there around noon. Glad to hear about your first half day!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #3239
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
I booked a standard room at POR arriving May 11 for 6 nights. I haven't stayed at POR since it was Dixie Landings in 2000 so I don't remember too much about room locations. I would like to be close to a parking lot since I will be commuting to the Orlando convention center for 3 of the days - but all the buildings look like they are near a parking lot. I would love a King bed, but I'm not paying more per night (but if they happened to put me in one, it wouldn't bother me ). I most likely will request a non-ground floor room and would prefer a building with an elevator only when I take my luggage in and out the first and last days and I will not use Bell Services (I don't like people touching my luggage or having it out of my sight when I travel alone). I will use the stairs otherwise. I believe that leaves me requesting Magnolia Bend and that would be awesome because I adore the look of these buildings. I will spend very little time in the room and when I do, I keep the curtains shut so a view is not a big deal. I would love to be closer to French Quarter but I'm a runner and thus, a big walker too so it isn't a big deal for me to walk extra distances.

So after reading ALL of that, where should I request a room location?

Let me guess, it is as simple as non-ground floor room in Magnolia Bend
Standard rooms face the parking lot, so you will be right next to the car. I actually prefer Acadian House location, but Magnolia Bend is great as well.

The elevators are in the middle of the building, so if you are in a standard view, you will need to walk all the way to the middle of the building, and back to your room.

So your request of an upper room in either building would be perfect!

I cannot guarantee it, but on two out of my five solo trips, I was automatically placed in a king bed room. However, that was before the multiple booking categories, so I think it just gets harder to get one unless you book it.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #3240
MickeyEars
DIS Veteran

We booked a River View room for our upcoming trip and would love a room in the mansions. Upper floor if possible.
Which building should we request Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House? There doesn't appear to be too many River View rooms in the mansions.
Anyone with experience that could give me recommendations I would so appreciate it.

Thanks!

Carla

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: