Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #3166
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungaloosh22 View Post
These are very nice.

This isn't directed to the original requester's mom, as I'm sure she'd be respectful, but for others planning to camp outside of the rooms: Please be considerate of the people in the surrounding rooms. I've had a couple bad experiences with loud people outside my room and window, and the soundproofing just isn't that good. It can be practically like the people outside are right in your room with you.

One very early morning (after a late night for me) I had a screaming child, egged on by his brother, who was crying and screaming with his nose literally pressed to my window. Parents sat in their adjoining room, door open, chatting away and completely ignoring the kids.

Another time we had a group set up camp right outside our room, drinking and talking loudly well into the night.

I have a river view room booked for my upcoming trip, and I'm thinking about changing that, or even moving back to deluxe to avoid the exterior corridors altogether (sigh). After my previous experiences, I'm worried that I'll have another party set up camp outside my room, given its river view.

I'm hoping you all can reassure me that my experiences were unusual ones! I don't see a lot of discussions about this on disboards, so maybe I've just been unlucky? As much as I love the theming at POR, I haven't been back since the screaming child at window experience - I'm apprehensive now about exterior corridors so usually save up for deluxe - but I really do want to return to enjoy the lovely POR resort, at least for a couple nights.
This has only happened to us once in 4 trips at mods. We had a kid bouncing a ball against our wall at midnight, parents yelling at him from the adjoining room to ours. After a half hour I called the desk. They sent security and we never heard them again.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #3167
jennyjones78
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone, we are visiting in April and we originally had a Pirate Room at Caribbean Beach reserved but after showing it to the kids not one of them liked it. So after doing much research online my kids picked out one of the rooms in Alligator Bayou. My travel agent booked it for us and put the request in.. my question is how hard is it to get the request you asked for? I have all boys and i know they will not be happy if we end up in a princess type of room.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #3168
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjones78 View Post
Hi everyone, we are visiting in April and we originally had a Pirate Room at Caribbean Beach reserved but after showing it to the kids not one of them liked it. So after doing much research online my kids picked out one of the rooms in Alligator Bayou. My travel agent booked it for us and put the request in.. my question is how hard is it to get the request you asked for? I have all boys and i know they will not be happy if we end up in a princess type of room.
I'd say that if your only request is for Alligator Bayou, you've got very good odds of getting it since there are twice as many Alligator Bayou rooms as there are non-Royal mansion rooms. You wouldn't get a royal room unless you booked one, since it's a bookable category.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #3169
heidiot99
Earning My Ears

Royal Room vs Preferred Room

I just booked a Royal Room but we have a 2 and 6 year old and I am concerned about the location. Are the Royal Rooms far from everything? They look close on the map to the food court and enterance but people are saying the location is far. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #3170
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessand2princes View Post
Has anyone ever used Amazon prime to ship things like diapers, wipes, water, snacks etc to POR? I was thinking this might be easier than lugging it along with us (traveling with twins in diapers and will be there for 9 days so a ton if diapers!!). Just wondered if this has worked well for others? With prime, it would get there in 2 days, so I was planning on ordering some things 4 days out donut round be there when we arrive.
Wee used garden grocier, they were perfect.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #3171
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiot99 View Post
I just booked a Royal Room but we have a 2 and 6 year old and I am concerned about the location. Are the Royal Rooms far from everything? They look close on the map to the food court and enterance but people are saying the location is far. What are your thoughts?
The furthest rooms are a bit of a trek, but the closer ones (mostly in Oak Manor) are fine. I posted the walking distances a while ago, but here the info is again:

OK, just for quick-reference purposes, here are the best case / worst case walking distances from ground-floor rooms in the various mansion buildings at POR (as calculated using Google Earth imagery, and taking the best walking routes into account). Oak Manor and Parterre Place are the two Royal Room buildings.

Acadian House > Food Court: 307 yds / 499 yds
Acadian House > South Bus Depot: 482 yds / 674 yds
Acadian House > Ferry Dock: 454 yds / 646 yds

Magnolia Terrace > Food Court: 245 yds / 458 yds
Magnolia Terrace > South Bus Depot: 420 yds / 633 yds
Magnolia Terrace > Ferry Dock: 392 yds / 605 yds

Oak Manor > Food Court: 286 yds / 488 yds
Oak Manor > South Bus Depot: 303 yds / 505 yds
Oak Manor > Ferry Dock: 275 yds / 477 yds

Parterre Place > Food Court: 249 yds / 456 yds
Parterre Place > South Bus Depot: 266 yds / 473 yds
Parterre Place > Ferry Dock: 238 yds / 445 yds

Acadian and Magnolia's shortest distances are walked via Ol Man Island, Oak and Parterre's are via the alternative bridge to the south of the marina. The best-case distances are all from River View rooms, the worst-case distances are from the furthest of the Standard or Garden View rooms.

So, based on an average walking speed of 3mph - and assuming you don't get lost or stop to smell the roses en route - that gives the shortest Magnolia Bend walks to the food court as about 2' 45", and the longest possible ones as 5' 40".

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #3172
LostMason
Earning My Ears

I never post, but read the forums almost every day, and just wanted to pop in to say hi and thank you to everyone who has posted their tips and advice here, especially andre and venom.

I leave on Saturday for my first trip to Disney in almost 15 years. I'm traveling with my 2 and 5 year old kids, my mom and dad, and my sister is meeting us there. We can't wait!

Thanks again to everyone for all the great information. We can't wait to stay at POR!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #3173
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley

The furthest rooms are a bit of a trek, but the closer ones (mostly in Oak Manor) are fine. I posted the walking distances a while ago, but here the info is again:

OK, just for quick-reference purposes, here are the best case / worst case walking distances from ground-floor rooms in the various mansion buildings at POR (as calculated using Google Earth imagery, and taking the best walking routes into account). Oak Manor and Parterre Place are the two Royal Room buildings.

Acadian House > Food Court: 307 yds / 499 yds
Acadian House > South Bus Depot: 482 yds / 674 yds
Acadian House > Ferry Dock: 454 yds / 646 yds

Magnolia Terrace > Food Court: 245 yds / 458 yds
Magnolia Terrace > South Bus Depot: 420 yds / 633 yds
Magnolia Terrace > Ferry Dock: 392 yds / 605 yds

Oak Manor > Food Court: 286 yds / 488 yds
Oak Manor > South Bus Depot: 303 yds / 505 yds
Oak Manor > Ferry Dock: 275 yds / 477 yds

Parterre Place > Food Court: 249 yds / 456 yds
Parterre Place > South Bus Depot: 266 yds / 473 yds
Parterre Place > Ferry Dock: 238 yds / 445 yds

Acadian and Magnolia's shortest distances are walked via Ol Man Island, Oak and Parterre's are via the alternative bridge to the south of the marina. The best-case distances are all from River View rooms, the worst-case distances are from the furthest of the Standard or Garden View rooms.

So, based on an average walking speed of 3mph - and assuming you don't get lost or stop to smell the roses en route - that gives the shortest Magnolia Bend walks to the food court as about 2' 45", and the longest possible ones as 5' 40".

Andre
You will have to add in the conversion to metric LOL

Just kidding
I am in a giddy mood this morning in spite of the weather here. Even all the school buses are cancelled today. And i turned the Keurig on for coffee but forgot to put the cup under!!!! 1 more sleep!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #3174
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Ah, the walking times in metric minutes would be 2.75 minutes and 5.66666666 minutes.

Hope you get some sleep tonight, and your journey doesn't get delayed with the weather.

Have a great time!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #3175
Disneymaddness
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Just kidding
I am in a giddy mood this morning in spite of the weather here. Even all the school buses are cancelled today. And i turned the Keurig on for coffee but forgot to put the cup under!!!! 1 more sleep!!!
Your ARE in a good mood! Have a great trip!
POR- 7/05, 8/07, 7/11, 5/13, 2/14
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #3176
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:

Just kidding
Wow oh wow
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #3177
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Assuming no flight delays, we should be @ POR tomorrow around noon-ish?? So what should we do on our 1st day there? We have dinner rez @ Chef Mickey for 5:15 (we are driving ourselves) so for the afternoon?? Assume hit the pool?

Also have to figure out a way to get to the rooms before DH & the kids so i can put some little gift bags in there for everyone

ETA: also any suggestions post dinner? Yeehaw bob sounds great - just not sure if the kids are too young?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #3178
ljcraw555
DIS Veteran

Just popping in to say "Hi" to everyone!

Andre & Venomhatch, you both do a wonderful job at maintaining and assisting people on this thread!

We arrive in just over a month and after reading this thread, I cannot wait! There is a lot of valuable information on here.

Happy Monday, everyone!
March 2012 - CSR
May 2010 - Offsite - Windsor Hills
May 2009 - ASMu - Family Suite - AWESOME!
October 2007 - Pop Century / June 1994 - CBR

Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #3179
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Ah, the walking times in metric minutes would be 2.75 minutes and 5.66666666 minutes.
I'm relatively new to this thread, but have been reading more and must say: I'm blown away by the amount of detail and information here (like this, as just one example)!

Huge thanks to Andre and Venom and all the other contributors.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #3180
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
My legs are quite short, should I add on extra time for this??

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: