Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #2626
luvlife
Mouseketeer

I can't believe our trip is only one week away! I'm so excited, I think my family is ready to send me off early
I wanted to thank everyone for all of their help, this thread has been so wonderful in the planning of our trip.
The time that Andre and Venomhatch invest is invaluable to all of us

Thanks again

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #2627
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlife View Post
I can't believe our trip is only one week away! I'm so excited, I think my family is ready to send me off early
I wanted to thank everyone for all of their help, this thread has been so wonderful in the planning of our trip.
The time that Andre and Venomhatch invest is invaluable to all of us
You're welcome, glad we could all help. Have a great trip next week.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #2628
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

I am terrible at reading maps and layouts, so help me out please.

We want a corner RGR for our 4 year old and do play to spend a decent amount of time in the pool and riding the boats to DTD, and a little time at POFQ. However we don't really care about the actual view out the window, we just want a corner room for the extra sunlight. But we don't want to pay extra just for a corner room.

Are all corner rooms Preferred rooms? What is the best standard RGR to choose to be convenient to the bus stops, pool, FQ and a corner room? Or am I hoping for too much?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #2629
theEncode
Mouseketeer

I know this is more of a personal preference, but I thought I would ask...I have a standard RGR booked for 9 nights in May/June. I do not have any requests linked to my initial reservation (didnt even know you could do that when I booked), but now I am considering adding some. My quesiton is this:

Would you prefer a corner room or one of the obstructed garden view rooms that are available?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #2630
Moneypenny
Mouseketeer

A have a question about getting a taxi from POR. We'll be arriving just over two weeks (yay! I can't wait to fax in my room request soon - then it will feel real.) My daughter is taking a Y.E.S. class that requires us to be at Animal Kingdom at 8:15. I know we can catch a bus from the main bus depot, but I also understand that the busses may not be running as often as usual at that time of morning, so we may just take a taxi. Would there be taxis just waiting at the main building or is that something we need to call and arrange ahead of time? Thanks so much!
Carribean Beach Resort - October 2010
Carribean Beach Resort - March 2009
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #2631
judypriv
Mouseketeer

Coffee makers

So I hear tell the coffee makers have been changed to cuisinart dual makers with pods. Anyone know what brand of coffee pods will work in there? My family are big coffee drinkers and I wanted to bring my own so I know they have plenty. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #2632
Cinderumbrella
Wench

I am looking at Andre's detailed room map of Oak Manor. Is it true that the third floor of Oak Manor only has 32 rooms??
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #2633
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
I am looking at Andre's detailed room map of Oak Manor. Is it true that the third floor of Oak Manor only has 32 rooms??
Yes the third floor is only a central column of rooms basically the the line across in the H pattern.

The ends that stick off are only 2-story!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #2634
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post
We want a corner RGR for our 4 year old and do play to spend a decent amount of time in the pool and riding the boats to DTD, and a little time at POFQ. However we don't really care about the actual view out the window, we just want a corner room for the extra sunlight. But we don't want to pay extra just for a corner room.

Are all corner rooms Preferred rooms? What is the best standard RGR to choose to be convenient to the bus stops, pool, FQ and a corner room? Or am I hoping for too much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEncode View Post
I have a standard RGR booked for 9 nights in May/June.

Would you prefer a corner room or one of the obstructed garden view rooms that are available?
First, there are no Preferred Rooms in the Royal Guest Room buildings at all, nor is "corner room" a booking category per se, it's just a request.

Personally, I do rather like the extra light and different view from corner rooms, which are located all around the resort because... well, there are lots of corners! In fact, there are some Garden View category rooms which have a second corner window overlooking the river, so you get a real win-win if you happen to get assigned one of those.

As for a Royal Standard View corner room, close to a pool, French Quarter and a bus stop.... you don't want much, do you sunnydays!? I would suggest prioritising those requests and then send a fax 3-5 days before your arrival asking for what features you actually want (rather than asking for specific room numbers) so they can try to find the best fit for you that's available at the time. List a couple of the requests as especially wanted, and the rest as "would also be nice if..." comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
Would there be taxis just waiting at the main building or is that something we need to call and arrange ahead of time? Thanks so much!
There are normally taxis around, and they can be called pretty quickly if there isn't one there. Can't do any harm to arrange for one in advance though, what have you got to lose? You don't want to end up missing the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
No, I lied... Oh alright, yes it is true - only the central sections of the mansion buildings (which is where the elevators are located) have three floors, the 'wing' sections only have two stories.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #2635
g8torphan
Mouseketeer

I'm heading to POR on Feb 1st, but will be buying 4 Day Discovery Disney FL Resident tix.
Can I get them at the resort, or will I have to wait until I reach TTC?

Also, if I do have to wait, how early should I get there in order to ensure I have time for getting the tix and making it over prior to Rope Drop?

Thanks!

Magic Kingdom 2.2.13 Magic Kingdom 5.17.13 Epcot 5.18.13 Animal Kingdom 5.19.13
Magic Kingdom 2.25.12 Hollywood Studios 5.17.12Magic Kingdom 5.18.12 Animal Kingdom 5.19.12

DIS Dad's Club Member # 698
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #2636
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post
I am terrible at reading maps and layouts, so help me out please.

Thanks!
There are no preferred rooms in the mansions, which is where all the royal rooms are located; all the preferred rooms are in the Alligator Bayou section. Also, corner rooms are not a bookable category, so there's no extra charge for them.

As for wanting to be convenient to both POFQ and the pool, that looks tough based on the map because Parterre Place is closer to POFQ, but Oak Manor is closer to the main pool, if that's the one you want to be close to. (There's also a quiet pool between the two buildings.)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #2637
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

I just booked my first stay at POR this morning! I am going May 9th - May 16th and I can't wait. I've tried to read this whole thread, but there's a lot to it!

Does anyone have any quick do's/don'ts about POR that I should know about? Since I did this while at work, I wasn't able to request a specific building. I am going to try and call them tonight so I can't put in a request for the closer buildings.

This thread is what made me choose POR. Thanks for all the info!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #2638
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Yes the third floor is only a central column of rooms basically the the line across in the H pattern.

The ends that stick off are only 2-story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post

No, I lied... Oh alright, yes it is true - only the central sections of the mansion buildings (which is where the elevators are located) have three floors, the 'wing' sections only have two stories.

Andre
Thanks guys!!

We were on the third floor of Oak Manor back in 2005 and I guess I just never paid any attention to the fact that the "wings" were only 2 stories. (Still not sure why this surprised me today- LOL)

I had CRO add Oak Manor, top floor as my room request, but I am kind of liking the idea of the corner rooms the more I think about it.

Maybe I should just change my request to corner room, highest possible floor and not worry about which building...(We are booked Royal Room so it would only be Oak or Parterre anyway).
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #2639
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

We love Parterre Place and found it just as convenient to POFQ, main pool, and quiet pool as Oak Manor. Since most guests put in requests for Oak Manor, you may have a better chance of getting any room requests met by asking for Parterre.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #2640
mamalovesdis
Earning My Ears

Okay so really, how bad is it with 6 people in an AB room? 2 adults and 4 children 13, 9, 4 & 1.

2 years ago we stayed at POP (5 of us then) and it was tight, but we were only there 4 nights and were busy busy, so not in the room much. This time we will stay 8-9 nights.

We also had rented a van, so we never used the buses. Am I going to hate the bus? How long does it take to get to each park? I really hate taking strollers on buses, but we will have to.

Room only pricing:
8 nights 9/7-9/15 preferred at POR $1288
8 nights 9/7-9/15 standard at Poly $2535 or BC garden view $2163 or CR garden wing $2275

See my dilemma? WWYD?

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: