Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #2491
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
As for why someone in Birmingham UK is running a Port Orleans tribute website.... I've sometimes wonderded that myself!! But no, I don't work for WDW, and basically at heart I'm just a fan of the place who has been visiting the parks since 1989. As the internet developed out of the usenet newsgroups and modem-based bulletin boards, I found myself answering the same sort of questions time and time again in the online forums so I thought I'd set up an online FAQ list, and upload some photos there, so I would be able to just point people to this new website to save a lot of time......

... well that worked out well then didn't it?

Andre
Andre, I never cease to be amazed with your patience!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #2492
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Double post, sorry!

Last edited by Venomhatch; 01-11-2013 at 10:59 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #2493
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Ok, I must've missed something in my short hiatus from the DIS? Someone mentioned earlier about making dining reservations already for July, but I thought it was 90 days out. Now someone is mentioning online check in 48 days out, but I thought it was 10? Did things change?
Wow, really who told you that about the dining? As already stated its 180 but that is from the first day arriving, at that point you can do ressies for the whole visit there.

I would not do the online check in now that I am seeing guests having issues with the web site.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #2494
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
As for why someone in Birmingham UK is running a Port Orleans tribute website.... I've sometimes wonderded that myself!! But no, I don't work for WDW, and basically at heart I'm just a fan of the place who has been visiting the parks since 1989. As the internet developed out of the usenet newsgroups and modem-based bulletin boards, I found myself answering the same sort of questions time and time again in the online forums so I thought I'd set up an online FAQ list, and upload some photos there, so I would be able to just point people to this new website to save a lot of time......

... well that worked out well then didn't it?

Andre
Isn't that how it always works out. LOL. Well, I for one am glad you run the Port Orleans site - it was really helpful when I was deciding if I wanted to stay at POFQ or not.

I find it very interesting that the second and third floor numbers are just a continuation of the first floor numbers - but I guess that is because the room number indicates the building, and not the floor.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #2495
lan3
Mouseketeer

We are going to POR for Spring Break. We booked a preferred room. We got a discount and my travel agent got us the discount in the garden view section. I really want to be close to the food court. My travel agent said that because we are a family five, the garden view rooms that accommodate a family of five are all close to the food court. Is that true. I would like the savings the discount offers but I'm afraid that she is wrong and we will be far from the food court. Are all of the garden view rooms with the extra bed close to the food court?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #2496
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan3 View Post
We are going to POR for Spring Break. We booked a preferred room. We got a discount and my travel agent got us the discount in the garden view section. I really want to be close to the food court. My travel agent said that because we are a family five, the garden view rooms that accommodate a family of five are all close to the food court. Is that true. I would like the savings the discount offers but I'm afraid that she is wrong and we will be far from the food court. Are all of the garden view rooms with the extra bed close to the food court?
Preferred rooms are the closest to the food court. That's why ther are preferred. You're all set.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #2497
lan3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Preferred rooms are the closest to the food court. That's why ther are preferred. You're all set.
To get the discount, we had to get garden view instead of the preferred room. My TA said that the garden view rooms with the Murphy bed are all located near the food court.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #2498
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
To get the discount, we had to get garden view instead of the preferred room. My TA said that the garden view rooms with the Murphy bed are all located near the food court.
All of the non preferred AB area rooms have the murphy bed!

Last edited by Venomhatch; 01-12-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #2499
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, sorry. When I read your original post, I thought you had booked preferred.

Here's the description of the Garden View Rooms from Andre's site.

http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php

Garden View: These rooms offer pleasant views of the gardens, courtyards (including water features and fountains), landscaping or bayou — but NOT of the parking lots. Garden View rooms can be located in any of the buildings EXCEPT for Preferred Locations. $10 per night surcharge.

So it looks like your room could be anywhere in the AB section. So it's possible you could be far from the food court. I would have your TA add a request to your reservation of "close to food court". Then follow up with a fax stating the same 5-6 days prior to your arrival.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #2500
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Oh, sorry. When I read your original post, I thought you had booked preferred.

Here's the description of the Garden View Rooms from Andre's site.

http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php

Garden View: These rooms offer pleasant views of the gardens, courtyards (including water features and fountains), landscaping or bayou — but NOT of the parking lots. Garden View rooms can be located in any of the buildings EXCEPT for Preferred Locations. $10 per night surcharge.

So it looks like your room could be anywhere in the AB section. So it's possible you could be far from the food court. I would have your TA add a request to your reservation of "close to food court". Then follow up with a fax stating the same 5-6 days prior to your arrival.
I believe murphy beds are in all AB buildings, but even if they aren't in the preferred buildings there are a few close non preferred AB buildings with Garden Views, like 16 and 17!!! Those are less than a minute from the food court!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #2501
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
Isn't that how it always works out. LOL. Well, I for one am glad you run the Port Orleans site - it was really helpful when I was deciding if I wanted to stay at POFQ or not.

I find it very interesting that the second and third floor numbers are just a continuation of the first floor numbers - but I guess that is because the room number indicates the building, and not the floor.
You're welcome, I'm always pleased when what I've managed to do helps out other guests.

The floor numbering is only sequential in Alligator Bayou (where each building only has 64 rooms in total). In the mansions and French Quarter, each floor has a different prefix. e.g. FQ building 1 has numbers in the 11xx, 12xx and 13xx ranges, with the last two digits being always directly above the same numbers on the floor below. That saved me a lot of time with the floorplans by the way, as I worked out I could just use a formula to label the upper floors, and then I used a conditional formatting lookup cross-referenced to a large spreadsheet table to add the colour codes... oops, sorry, getting a bit computer geeky now - so back to our regularly scheduled discussion on puppies now.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #2502
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Sorry, your TA was not correct. The PREFERRED rooms are the ones located in Alligator Bayou closest to the food court. The regular Alligator Bayou buildings (AB is where all the Murphy beds are found) are a bit spread out and you could be quite a distance away. In fact, you won't be in the very closest ones as those are Preferred category (hence the designation).

The closest non-preferred AB buildings are 16 and 17, so I would suggest putting a request in for one of those. Here's the map from the first post in this thread to help give you an idea of the layout:

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #2503
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

First, let me say thanks to Venomhatch and to Andre for all the infomation you have provided!!!

We are a party of 9 booked into 2 rooms (linked ressies with package ) in AB for July 10-16th. I paid for the Preferred rooms, but I have a couple of questions.

I am really considering adding one day room only reservation for us, right now I have us booked into a Residence Inn and the original plan is to be a POR at 6:30am to start our Disney fun! Gotta make rope drop at 8:00 am Ak that day!! (( feel very sorry for the other 8 in my party, they are at my mercy!! )) I did already book dining ressies at Boatwright's that evening to give them a chance to relax after our first Commando day!!

If I book two room only ressies, AB preferred, is there a good chance I would not have to change rooms to start my package stay?

We would even request parking lot view if this helped..and our two ressies do not require connecting rooms ( in fact I do not want them, it is enough to be close to each other ) . My only request would be ground floor as my mom ( age 70 ) would find it easier.

Also ( I know, I know..a lot of questions!! ) we have have a small ( and I mean small) RV . It is about the size of a FED EX sprinter extended van ) It fits in a regular parking spot but sticks out about 3 feet. Will this be an issue?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #2504
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Denise

First, let me say thanks to Venomhatch and to Andre for all the infomation you have provided!!!
I second this statement!
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #2505
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Does anyone happen to have a picture of a "river view" booking category room in the AB section? Im curious what the view from outside your door would look like? Thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: