Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #2476
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Just booked a week in September with our adult DD after getting a Pin Code in the mail. Really excited as she's never, ever been to Disney before. We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside, as I've stayed there twice (in March 2009, and January 2011) and just really love that resort so much that I didn't even want to try a different one.

I didn't go for a Royal Guestroom, but we will have a "garden view." Hoping for Magnolia in the Mansions, and I see the rooms have all been refurbished so that's nice (although the last time we were there I thought the rooms were fine).

Counting down the days!!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #2477
cerberus
"If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise."

For those that have stayed in a Gardenview and Royal Room

For those that have stayed in a Gardenview and Royal Room...can you tell me the pros or cons to both; what you liked or didn't like Thanks!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #2478
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
Cute name for a dog.
Thank you very much!

Well there is two stories about how she got that name. One is Disney name. The other is way off topic here.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #2479
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

What are our chances of getting a bayou room for a family of 2 adults and 1 child? We have a garden view room booked with a request for alligator bayou, which we have done a few times before and have never received. We are fine with the mansions but new scenery would be great. We do realize the bayou rooms tend to be reserved for larger families but still hoping....
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #2480
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
What are our chances of getting a bayou room for a family of 2 adults and 1 child? We have a garden view room booked with a request for alligator bayou which we have done a few times before and have never received. We are fine with the mansions but new scenery would be great. We do realize the bayou rooms tend to be reserved for larger families but still hoping....
you would be guaranteed for the most part if you booked preferred since all the preferred buildings are in the bayou. We are also 2 adults and 1 child but we wanted the bayou rooms so that's what we did. Plus it means you will be close to the main building, main pool and main bus stop.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #2481
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw

you would be guaranteed for the most part if you booked preferred since all the preferred buildings are in the bayou. We are also 2 adults and 1 child but we wanted the bayou rooms so that's what we did. Plus it means you will be close to the main building, main pool and main bus stop.
Preferred view was completely booked for our dates with the spring discount. We tried!
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #2482
KelsiesMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr
What are our chances of getting a bayou room for a family of 2 adults and 1 child? We have a garden view room booked with a request for alligator bayou, which we have done a few times before and have never received. We are fine with the mansions but new scenery would be great. We do realize the bayou rooms tend to be reserved for larger families but still hoping....
We are 2 adults and 2 kids hoping for AB also, because our kids hate sharing a bed and the Murphy bed would make life much easier!! We couldn't book preferred either, we are booked with a garden view and our TA requested a room With Murphy bed. If we leave that our only request, or request a certain AB building, what's our chances?

January 2008- POFQ- My First trip to WDW- Happy Birthday to me!
Feb 2010 Disney Wonder- For Hubby's 40th Birthday!

Feb-Mar 2011 WDW POFQ with the whole family!!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #2483
CantWaitToGoAgain
Earning My Ears

I too just got a PIN and hope to book for end of September in a Garden View :-)

We Nebulize my son daily. This includes sterilizing a device that holds his medication. In order to sterilize the device, we need a microwave. Is there any way to ask the resort staff for a micro in our room? I know they have a micro to use at the Dining Hall, but was hoping for a better option or any other suggestions???

Thanks for a great site!! I enjoy reading it often! This is why I am booking POR!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #2484
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
What are our chances of getting a bayou room for a family of 2 adults and 1 child? We do realize the bayou rooms tend to be reserved for larger families but still hoping....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsiesMommy View Post
We are 2 adults and 2 kids hoping for AB also, because our kids hate sharing a bed and the Murphy bed would make life much easier!!
There are 1,024 Alligator Bayou rooms, but only 512 regular mansion building rooms (as 512 rooms were re-allocated as Royal buildings) so the random chance is now about 2:1 in your favour (or maybe slightly less, due to the four Preferred Location buildings). Families of 5 are placed in AB automatically first, but there's usually still plenty of space left for others - especially if you request AB in advance and/or send a fax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWaitToGoAgain View Post
We Nebulize my son daily. This includes sterilizing a device that holds his medication. In order to sterilize the device, we need a microwave. Is there any way to ask the resort staff for a micro in our room? I know they have a micro to use at the Dining Hall, but was hoping for a better option or any other suggestions???
Yes, I believe they may have a few which can be assigned to guest rooms. I'd suggest getting in touch with the Special Assistance line (1-407-939-7807) to get this noted as a medical requirement in advance.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #2485
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
I think the campfire might be fun for the kids and a nice way to relax in the evening. I see it starts at 5:30, but how long does it last?

On a related, but off-topic note, Andre, I've been trying to figure out this whole thread how you are connected to POR. I know you do portorleans.org, but I also see that you're in Birmingham, UK. Are you a super fan or is there some other connection? It seems like a long commute to be a CM.
The campfire is usually open for a couple of hours at least, but I don't know exactly when they close it down at night.

As for why someone in Birmingham UK is running a Port Orleans tribute website.... I've sometimes wonderded that myself!! But no, I don't work for WDW, and basically at heart I'm just a fan of the place who has been visiting the parks since 1989. As the internet developed out of the usenet newsgroups and modem-based bulletin boards, I found myself answering the same sort of questions time and time again in the online forums so I thought I'd set up an online FAQ list, and upload some photos there, so I would be able to just point people to this new website to save a lot of time......

... well that worked out well then didn't it?

Anyway, hope everyone is healthy again in time for your trip!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #2486
CantWaitToGoAgain
Earning My Ears

This site is Ah-mazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
There are 1,024 Alligator Bayou rooms, but only 512 regular mansion building rooms (as 512 rooms were re-allocated as Royal buildings) so the random chance is now about 2:1 in your favour (or maybe slightly less, due to the four Preferred Location buildings). Families of 5 are placed in AB automatically first, but there's usually still plenty of space left for others - especially if you request AB in advance and/or send a fax.

Yes, I believe they may have a few which can be assigned to guest rooms. I'd suggest getting in touch with the Special Assistance line (1-407-939-7807) to get this noted as a medical requirement in advance.

Andre
Andre- Thank you not only for the quick response but the detailed info too! I was worried we would have to do a suite (kitchenette) which is not where I want to book and of course at a higher rate!

Thanks again!!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #2487
ttcl516
Mouseketeer

So we are 48 days out from our trip. I saw you can do online check in. Is this something I should do. Should I wait until it gets closer?

POR Riverside AB Feb 28 - Mar 7, 2013
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #2488
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcl516 View Post
So we are 48 days out from our trip. I saw you can do online check in. Is this something I should do. Should I wait until it gets closer?
Lots of posts on the DIS of people having issues being able to do online check-in. I would wait until they get all the kinks worked out with the new website.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #2489
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Ok, I must've missed something in my short hiatus from the DIS? Someone mentioned earlier about making dining reservations already for July, but I thought it was 90 days out. Now someone is mentioning online check in 48 days out, but I thought it was 10? Did things change?
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #2490
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Ok, I must've missed something in my short hiatus from the DIS? Someone mentioned earlier about making dining reservations already for July, but I thought it was 90 days out. Now someone is mentioning online check in 48 days out, but I thought it was 10? Did things change?
Everyone can make dining reservations 180 days out. If you are staying on site, you can make dining reservations starting at 180 days out for up to 10 days of your stay.

Once they officially roll out FP+, you will be able to do online check-in 60 days out.

Last edited by dansdad; 01-11-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: