Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #1891
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I've always pronounced Parterre just as it's written, as in the French - i.e. "par-tear" ("par" as in golf par, and "tear" as in "to rip", not as in to cry ). Not sure what other ways there are to say it to be honest?

The arcades are mostly games machines, rather than prize-win gambling machines:

To be honest, the only time I have ever stepped in there was to take photos, as I can think of a lot better things to do in Disney World than play video games - but some kids seem to love them.

Andre
Thanks! I was thinking how you said it, but I was also thinking the E might actually be said, like par-tear-eh. I didn't take French; I took Spanish and Japanese, where all the sounds are said and not dropped, so French mystifies me.

Glad to know that about the arcade! My 8 year old gets a LOT of enjoyment out of them, and I like it when he enjoys himself.* If he's allowed a little arcade time, he is so happy it translates into joy for hours and hours. Cheap way to get even better behaviour. But I like the arcades where he can get some little plastic ring, or something like that, because it's something tangible we get for the "investment". Yep, makes me happier to spend $10 for enjoyment AND a plastic ring, than for just enjoyment.

Anyway, knowing that about the POR arcade means we can play one or two games during our one big day at POR, and save longer arcade time for later in the trip after the cruise, when we can take the time to go somewhere like All Star Sports or AOA for their arcades.

That's a lot of words about an arcade.

*To get to the mental state where I can handle the videogame thing, I have to channel my inner-pre (and young)-teen, who spent quite a bit of time each summer at the local ice cream place, playing PacMan, Frogger, and Asteroids. And the ice cream place was on my way home from junior high and high school. So my brother and I might have stopped in after school, too.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 12-31-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #1892
tinkerbell1984
Mouseketeer

Any tips on getting the MK for an early 8:20 breakfast adr via the buses from POR?

I read this on the portorleans website

Quote:
generally the early morning buses departing from the South Depot do not then continue on to service the East, North and West Depots, instead heading straight onward to their destination. Other buses will serve the outer three Depots. After 10:30am, all of the resort buses follow the entire route starting at French Quarter, then going around all four Riverside Depots in turn before heading on to their final destination. This can have an impact on overall journey times.
Therefore I should definitely plan on going only to the South Depot stop (never stayed at a resort with multiple stops) probably around 7:30ish?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #1893
Sunshine1987
Mouseketeer

Room requests-two questions

I have noticed a lot of discussion about room requests on the board. While it is a long way off for us, I have been thinking...

What would be better to request:
1.) a top floor room or a room closest to the foot bridge to the lobby/food court area? (I have reserved the Royal Guest Room-Garden View)

I would love to have both but I know the less complicated the request, the more likely it would be honored. My dh and I love the views from a higher floor and dislike the noise from having footsteps above. We don't mind walking but seems like from a lot of the discussion here, it would be a really long walk!

Speaking of the long walk, can you POR experts estimate.... 2.) how long of a walk at average pace is it from the furthest garden view Royal rooms (top floor) to the Riverside Mill, south bus depot, and the east depot?
Disney World- ~ASMovies in April 2004 ~Beach Club in May 2009 ~POR/Poly split stay in May 2010 ~Fort Wilderness in March 2011
Disneyland, CA - 1969-1993 (so many trips - I grew up 11 miles from DL), 1995, 1997, 2001, 2008 (off-site)
California Adventure - 2008 (off-site)
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #1894
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1987 View Post
I have noticed a lot of discussion about room requests on the board. While it is a long way off for us, I have been thinking...

What would be better to request:
1.) a top floor room or a room closest to the foot bridge to the lobby/food court area? (I have reserved the Royal Guest Room-Garden View)

I would love to have both but I know the less complicated the request, the more likely it would be honored. My dh and I love the views from a higher floor and dislike the noise from having footsteps above. We don't mind walking but seems like from a lot of the discussion here, it would be a really long walk!

Speaking of the long walk, can you POR experts estimate.... 2.) how long of a walk at average pace is it from the furthest garden view Royal rooms (top floor) to the Riverside Mill, south bus depot, and the east depot?
I prefer top floors to limit how many guests go by my window and potentially disturb us sleeping or noise.

Id say approximately 5 minutes to 6 perhaps from the location you mentioned.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #1895
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Woooohoooo just changed our flight to a morning arrival rather than the original flight which had us checking in @ POR sometime after 9pm!!! More time at WDW!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #1896
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Okay, this may sound weird, but... I'm having resort-choice jitters. While I'm excited at the prospect of staying somewhere new, I just got a little sad at the idea that we won't be at AKL this trip. We won't walk through the lobby smelling that firepit every day.

Can everyone tell me how amazingly awesome POR is so I get these silly jitters out of my head? Tell me why you love staying there -- any reason at all Thank you so much!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #1897
princessand2princes
Earning My Ears

Has anyone gone from POR to the Hess station across from DTD? How long would it take to get there and back? How long of a walk is it from DTD?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #1898
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
Okay, this may sound weird, but... I'm having resort-choice jitters. While I'm excited at the prospect of staying somewhere new, I just got a little sad at the idea that we won't be at AKL this trip. We won't walk through the lobby smelling that firepit every day.

Can everyone tell me how amazingly awesome POR is so I get these silly jitters out of my head? Tell me why you love staying there -- any reason at all Thank you so much!

I've stayed at both, and it will definitely be a different experience for you. POR is wonderful, in fact, my DH prefers it over AKL. I'm still undecided and need to try them both a few more times .

Embrace the differences and you will love it. I think the food court at POR is much better than at AKL - the build your own salad is incredible and many people love the build your own pasta as well. Piano Bob is unique to POR and lots of fun if you have the time. The boat to DTD is like having a theme park attraction right at your resort - its worth doing even if you don't love DTD. Its a really pretty ride. Also, the landscaping is beautiful.

I just suggest going with an open mind and knowing that it is a moderate and will therefore be "different." But it is a very nice resort. If you were staying at one of the other mods, I would not be so positive about your choice. POR is just that unique and wonderful.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #1899
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It depends on where your room is located within the buildings. You could get a river view RGR right at the extreme end of Parterre Place which is a bit of a trek, or a standard non-Royal room near the middle of Magnolia or Acadian which could be much shorter walks. Take a look at the map in the first post, or use Google Earth's ruler feature if you want to work out the options - but the very furthest rooms in the resort are no more than 500 yards from the food court door.

Just put in a request for as close to the food court as possible, rather than trying to out-think the room assignment teams with specific locations.

Andre
Thank you, I will do that! I guess I shouldn't have read the thread on sore feet at the same time I was worrying about room placement.

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #1900
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I've stayed at both, and it will definitely be a different experience for you. POR is wonderful, in fact, my DH prefers it over AKL. I'm still undecided and need to try them both a few more times .

Embrace the differences and you will love it. I think the food court at POR is much better than at AKL - the build your own salad is incredible and many people love the build your own pasta as well. Piano Bob is unique to POR and lots of fun if you have the time. The boat to DTD is like having a theme park attraction right at your resort - its worth doing even if you don't love DTD. Its a really pretty ride. Also, the landscaping is beautiful.

I just suggest going with an open mind and knowing that it is a moderate and will therefore be "different." But it is a very nice resort. If you were staying at one of the other mods, I would not be so positive about your choice. POR is just that unique and wonderful.
Thank you for the reassuring words! Like I said, I am excited, but I guess just a little nervous. Probably felt the same way the first time I didn't stay at CBR after 3 trips in a row.

I'm very much looking forward to the DTD boatride, and now I'm looking forward to the food court, too! Thanks again!

Anyone else, feel free to chime in with your favorite things about POR, too
Old 12-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #1901
4leobeans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
About 50% of all the rooms at the resort are connecting, so you stand a pretty good chance if you put in a request in advance and are not too picky about other specific location requests (the more things you ask for, the harder it might become to find two connecting rooms at the same time). Remember to ask for connecting rooms rather than just adjoining by the way. It might also help to follow up your request with a polite faxed reminder about 3-5 days before you arrive.

Andre
Oh, thanks for that clarification; wouldn't have thought to ask

Really looking forward to our first visit to Disney . One month to go!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #1902
Sunshine1987
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I prefer top floors to limit how many guests go by my window and potentially disturb us sleeping or noise.

Id say approximately 5 minutes to 6 perhaps from the location you mentioned.
Thanks!

I am good with a 6 minute walk. Especially after looking at pictures of the mansion area of the resort! It looks like a gorgeous walk as well!
Disney World- ~ASMovies in April 2004 ~Beach Club in May 2009 ~POR/Poly split stay in May 2010 ~Fort Wilderness in March 2011
Disneyland, CA - 1969-1993 (so many trips - I grew up 11 miles from DL), 1995, 1997, 2001, 2008 (off-site)
Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #1903
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

@ POR now and just saw the coolest thing. In the pond between bldg 16and 17 we saw and otter playing. It was playing in and out of the water, then when lots of people started to watch it ran to bldg 17 and walked the path back toward bldg behind us. Very cool and unexpected

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

24 trips and plannin' the next 1
Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #1904
Sunshine1987
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
Thank you for the reassuring words! Like I said, I am excited, but I guess just a little nervous. Probably felt the same way the first time I didn't stay at CBR after 3 trips in a row.

I'm very much looking forward to the DTD boatride, and now I'm looking forward to the food court, too! Thanks again!

Anyone else, feel free to chime in with your favorite things about POR, too
First, I really love your trip report from last time! Great food pics! We are going during F&WF & MNSSHP this year so it was fun looking over all your posts!

As far as favorite things about POR, I have only stayed once, in the Alligator Bayou section, but my family loved it! We have stayed at all levels of resort so far and we try not to "compare" the deluxes with the moderates but rather appreciate the uniqueness of each resort. That being said, the grounds of the POR are beautiful. We loved the boat ride to DTD at night. Not great if you are in a hurry, but lovely if you plan time to enjoy it! The food court at Riverside Mill is delicious as well! A lot of choices to please everyone of the five of us! I personally loved the make your own pasta dish station!

We also hopped over to POFQ one morning to enjoy beingets <sp?>. My dh and kids LOVED them and my youngest had powdered sugar everywhere!

Have a wonderful trip! Please do another trip report when you return!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #1905
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

New to POR

Just changed from AoA to POR so I have a few questions. Is the waterslide appropriate for a 4-year-old? She loves waterslides, I'm just wondering if it's really fast. Are life jackets & towels provided @ the pool?
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: