Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #1831
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese View Post
My husband just called to add my birthday to our reservation and to add a room request of bldg 16 or 17. When he got off the phone he told me the CM told him he put down a request for bldg 14 (a preferred room, which we didn't pay for - did garden view) or Oak (which we can't stay in because we have 5 people!) so it seems like the CM didn't really know what he was doing, doesn't it? Neither one of those requests woud be valid. I'm frustrated with both him and my husband!
Id like to see what I can do to help, PM me and let see what we can do. I am a little confused reading this but if you want to PM me and explain if most detail you want I will see.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #1832
danicaca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
32 days & counting!!

We have a bit of a dilemma - at least in my mind; wondering if there is anything we can do?

We did the big Disney reveal for the kids on Christmas morning. BIG mistake. There was too much excitement for them to really absorb it so not the huge reactions i was hoping for. Anyway, fast forward to yesterday and everyone is jumping up & down as I start sharing little bits of info. I mentioned that the 3 younger kiddos (see sig) will get a little button since it is their 1st visit. The older 2 are feeling left out of the magic of that . They have been before but they were both so young that they don't really remember anything - unless we show them the pics as proof LOL

Yes, they are older but at 9 & 11: they are still just kids.

What does the DIS say??
We had kind of the same issue on our last trip. Although it was both DH and my 4th trip to WDW, our girls had never been. We put on our ressie that it was their 1st trip, and when we arrived, there were buttons for all of us! We tried giving them back, but the CM said "Well, it is your first trip all together, right?" We wore the buttons the entire trip... I really don't think anyone would care. It is not like to get anything special for it, like freebies that might make you feel guilty! We got a lot of "Welcome!" and "Glad you are here!" from the CM's.

In other news, saved $762 yesterday by applying the Visa discount! Also added a request for Oak, closest to main bridge. We have booked standard, but maybe with the savings, will upgrade to River to make this more of a possibility? Any thoughts? I certainly don't expect to be upgraded for free, but a little pixie dust would be great!
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #1833
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmaw View Post
The bldg is confusing looking at your map. But here is what I see (D) 2801, (A) 2816, (B) 2817, and (C) 2831. If these don't sound right I will run back over there ... I am going to double check because your map didn't look like the bldg. layout, could be me though.
Thanks for the quick reply. I think my basic layout is correct, but of course you're there and I'm not. I've been cross-referencing several sources including my own photos, the resort handout maps, and satellite images (plus a PDF document I received a while back, but which sadly seems somewhat inaccurate in a number of places).

Here's a satellite view of the building, which does seem to match with what I had worked out, and my revised plan based on your message:

As you can see, all of your supplied numbers fit in perfectly with the standard "counter-clockwise" numbering system of Alligator Bayou, with the one exception of the room we called 'C', which I think should be 2832 not 2831. Does that now fit with what you see on the ground?

Thanks again for the help, and sorry if you got wet in the process! (No prizes for guessing what my Xmas break project has been by the way )

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 12-29-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #1834
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissarose View Post
Thanks venomhatch! I asked Andre because someone suggested he might know! But I appreciate anyone's response
Not being a Mac person I couldn't be sure of the answer, but this photo might help give you an idea of scale:

As you can see, the safes are pretty small. It might be a squeeze to get two (even small) laptops in there. We managed with two 10.1" Samsung tablets by the way.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #1835
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Remember the top area inside goes up a little more than the opening of the door! I seen friends put one 13 MacBook in there once. I believe maybe two would make it but there would be very little room left.

Oh and your finally getting around to room number labeling alligator bayou area huh?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #1836
teacher31
DIS Veteran

So excited to be returning to POR for 10 nights this May! Our last stay there was prior to the refurb and was less than magical. Between the handle on the faucet coming off and the door to the fridge falling off, I would say it was more than due. Can't wait for the quiet pools, pasta bar and the beautiful landscaping! 148 more wake ups!
June 2003 - POR, First trip: "We might come back once more before we die." June 2004 - POR: "Does it ever stop raining?"June 2005 - FW Cabins: "I wonder if the movers unpacked the house yet?"June 2006 - POR: "Are you going to wear that tiara all the time, Katherine?"June 2007 - POR: "Do we want to be the safari family of the day? YES!" Our dream!October 2008 - Dolphin: "Why do you want to go to Disney when you turn 40?"Thanksgiving 2008 - "Dolphin: I think I like summer better, don't you?"October 2009 - POR: "Who knew it could be so cold in October?" Freezing at MNSSHPMay 2010 - POR/Dolphin: "Why did we miss POR?" October 2010 - CS: "I think I like the dining plan. You?"
May 2011 - DOL: "How much are you going to eat, Owen?" October 2011: "I miss Katherine." May 2012: "Can we not do Universal again and go back to Disney?" You betcha.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #1837
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Oh and your finally getting around to room number labeling alligator bayou area huh?
Yup. I've had the old Magnolia Bend buildings layout on the site for ages, but I'm finally getting round to fully mapping AB and FQ too (and updating the MB ones to match the new style). I'm trying to make this as correct and definitive as possible.

Once you get the basic configuration sorted out, it's not too hard to cut'n'paste large chunks to create each new building. The AB lodges, for example, are all made up from four square blocks of eight rooms, with two sets at right-angles to each other. Only the placement varies, and room numbers just go counter-clockwise around the perimeter. Then add the stairs, and a duplicate layer with +32 room numbers, for the upper floor.

Still a way to go yet, but MB and AB are pretty much done now, and FQ is about half way there. I hope people will find it useful once it's done, as we get a lot of questions on the subject here.

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley; 12-29-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #1838
princessand2princes
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat

I didn't use amazon prime but last trip DD#2 turned one ( we stayed at the poly). I shipped a med size uhaul box ground with fedex. It was about 25 lbs (diapers, wipes, swimmies, disposible placemats, take and toss cups and silverware and santizing wipes. ) Cost about $17 or $18. You can price it right on their site if you know weight and size of box. Shipped it on the Friday a week before our Sat arrival. It was signed for on wed night and waiting in our room with our bags from ME. We also did garden grocer for milk, yogurt, bottled water, juice boxes, snacks and breakfast. So easy when you have little ones. I didn't want to ship food bc I wasn't sure if it would arrive okay. Would do it again if I had things I didn't want to bring home again. So easy and cheaper than brining an extra bag depending on airline.
Thanks lillykat. I'm conflicted whether to just order diapers from Amazon, or ship a box of things. I had better make up my mind soon as we leave in 2 weeks! Thanks for your input
Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #1839
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Yup. I've had the old Magnolia Bend buildings layout on the site for ages, but I'm finally getting round to fully mapping AB and FQ too (and updating the MB ones to match the new style). I'm trying to make this as correct and definitive as possible.

Once you get the basic configuration sorted out, it's not too hard to cut'n'paste large chunks to create each new building. The AB lodges, for example, are all made up from four square blocks of eight rooms, with two sets at right-angles to each other. Only the placement varies, and room numbers just go counter-clockwise around the perimeter. Then add the stairs, and a duplicate layer with +32 room numbers, for the upper floor.

Still a way to go yet, but MB and AB are pretty much done now, and FQ is about half way there. I hope people will find it useful once it's done, as we get a lot of questions on the subject here.

Andre
Well keep up the good work!!! I use your site and suggest it to guests all the time considering staying at POR. Mapping the rooms reminds me of when I went to Washington DC and stayed in a Marriott Hotel there that just had underwent a remodel. They assigned me a room number that didn't exist.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1840
zy144622
Mouseketeer

Will in room fridge hold 1 or 2 gallons of milk. I know we will need 2 but if they don't fit...I need another plan.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #1841
LaniesMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy144622 View Post
Will in room fridge hold 1 or 2 gallons of milk. I know we will need 2 but if they don't fit...I need another plan.
Haven't stayed at POR since the re-furb yet but we stayed at CSR right after their re-furb in 2010 and we could only fit half gallons of milk in there. So if the POR fridge is the same, I'd say no. Andre or Venomhatch would know better than me.
Next trip: May 2013--Happy Birthday to me! POR RGR

Me DH DD(4) DD(infant) our family is complete!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #1842
LaniesMom
Mouseketeer

So excited to say my trip is now official!!
Bringing my 4 y/o DD and cousin (20-something) along for a birthday trip for myself. Got a Royal Room with the Disney Visa discount for May 5-10. I am beyond thrilled, as I have wanted to stay at every Mod and this trip will make my goal!

Trying to navigate things on here and plan in more detail now that Christmas is over. One question: Which building/area is closer to a bus stop? A RR in Parterre or Oak Manor? Was not going to make any requests but would love to be close to a bus stop.
Next trip: May 2013--Happy Birthday to me! POR RGR

Me DH DD(4) DD(infant) our family is complete!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #1843
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessand2princes View Post
Thanks lillykat. I'm conflicted whether to just order diapers from Amazon, or ship a box of things. I had better make up my mind soon as we leave in 2 weeks! Thanks for your input
If you ship from amazon you will either have to leave diapers behind or find a way to get them home when they didn't come down with you. If you ship a box you can work out what you normally use in a day and add a certain amount extra to account for extra changes or illness etc. If you ship a box you can just ship whatever quantity of each item you need vs having say full packages of things and then having to choose to find room to bring it home or to ship it.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #1844
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

I love looking at the pictures of the resort. I think this will be the resort we stay at.

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #1845
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy144622 View Post
Will in room fridge hold 1 or 2 gallons of milk.
You can fit a gallon carton in the fridge, but I rather doubt you'd easily get two in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniesMom View Post
One question: Which building/area is closer to a bus stop? A RR in Parterre or Oak Manor? Was not going to make any requests but would love to be close to a bus stop.
Oak would be closest for the East bus stop. Both Oak and Parterre are fairly even in terms of getting to the South depot (depending on where in the building you end up - you need to be as close as possible to the bridge). See the map in the first post.

Andre

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: