Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #271
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
I don't disagree. My comment was more for those saying to hightail it to Canada because of the insurance coverage. My point being that, if insurance coverage is the reason for the move (I agree with you that there are many other reasons that the move is a good idea), the OP has to make sure that she actually gets said coverage. If the coverage is just a "bonus", then, while the OP still needs to find out exactly what she can get and how, it is less imperative.
I encouraged her to move home to Canada because that is where her loved ones are and where she'll find support while she goes through this heartbreaking time. The Canadian health system didn't really factor into my advice (since I know nothing about it).
Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #272
jujube
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I encouraged her to move home to Canada because that is where her loved ones are and where she'll find support while she goes through this heartbreaking time. The Canadian health system didn't really factor into my advice (since I know nothing about it).

The OP's parents live in Canada.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #273
debbi801
DIS Veteran

I admit that I only have read through page 11, so I might of missed this, but another reason you need to go to Canada before your baby is born: Passports. Once your baby is born, I believe both parents would need to sign off on getting him a passport. And if he wants to be super obnoxious, he could refuse. Which would make it difficult to return to Canada.

1 in 150 children are diagnosed with Autism. One is mine.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #274
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbi801 View Post
I admit that I only have read through page 11, so I might of missed this, but another reason you need to go to Canada before your baby is born: Passports. Once your baby is born, I believe both parents would need to sign off on getting him a passport. And if he wants to be super obnoxious, he could refuse. Which would make it difficult to return to Canada.

This IS true. You do need both parents PRESENT to get a passport. In some circumstances a notarized affidavit can be used if one parent can't be present but they really want both parents there, in person, during the application process.

I had forgot about this. I do whatever you could to have the baby in Canada.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #275
jujube
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow, never thought of this-excellent point!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #276
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
This IS true. You do need both parents PRESENT to get a passport. In some circumstances a notarized affidavit can be used if one parent can't be present but they really want both parents there, in person, during the application process.

I had forgot about this. I do whatever you could to have the baby in Canada.
Yes, that is a great point. Both parents do need to be present to get a passport for minor children.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #277
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:

I have to quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
If you have the baby in California he will legally be able to keep the child in the US. On the other hand, he has no authority over you and as long as that baby is in your body - you can do whatever you want.

GO HOME TO YOUR PARENTS! NOW!!!!
...and I will repeat...go home to Canada BEFORE there is a baby!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #278
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Yes, that is a great point. Both parents do need to be present to get a passport for minor children.
The OP would need the father's permission to take the child out of the country. He could accuse the OP of child abduction if she takes the baby out of the U.S. A lot of parents flee to Canada with their children. Here are the entry requirements for a child into Canada. Whether or not the child is a Canadian or US citizen doesn't matter.

Quote:
If a minor child is travelling with one parent only:

The child should have a copy of his/her birth certificate as well as a letter of authorization, preferably in English or French, signed by the parent who is not travelling with him. The letter of authorization should give the address and telephone number of the non-accompanying parent. A photocopy of the passport or national identity card of the non-accompanying parent, with the bearer’s signature, should be attached.

In addition:

If the parents are separated or divorced, and they share custody of the child, the parent travelling with the child should carry copies of the legal custody documents. It is also recommended that they have a letter of authorization from the other custodial parent to take the child on a trip out of the country.
If the parents are separated or divorced and one of them has sole custody of the child, the letter of authorization may be signed by that parent only and a copy of the custody decree presented.
If one of the child’s parents is deceased, a copy of the death certificate should be presented.
This is why I wholeheartedly recommend that the OP get on a plane to Canada now. If she doesn't go before the baby is born, her husband can make it difficult for her ever to leave the U.S.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #279
jodifla

DIS Veteran

For those who are so insistent she drop everything and move to Canada, what about health insurance, as it looks like she'll be uninsured when she moves back. A delivery could set up back thousands -- or tens of thousands -- of dollars.

Also, without a job, how will she support herself and her child?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #280
jujube
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
For those who are so insistent she drop everything and move to Canada, what about health insurance, as it looks like she'll be uninsured when she moves back. A delivery could set up back thousands -- or tens of thousands -- of dollars.

So it would be better for her to stay with a man who doesn't want her or her baby and who is dating a nutcase?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #281
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:

I think the safety of herself and her child should come first. Her parents are in Canada. She is a Canadian. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too difficult for her to find a job once there and she has her parents to help her until she can.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #282
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

Quote:

She will be living with her parents, who will undoubtly welcome her & her baby with open arms.

She can work the rest of the details out later.

TC
Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #283
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:

The number one question I would ask the atty on Friday is, "Can you give me a very strong reason that I should NOT return to Canada and have the baby there, because I can think of MANY reasons why it is better for the baby to be born in Canada instead of the US?" Unless the atty has some compelling reason to stay here, I would put the baby above finances, job, insurance, EVERYTHING and go to Canada. Your husband can make it a living hell for you to ever set foot outside the US if you have that baby here. Also, I would want as much mileage as possible between my baby and that psycho of a girlfriend. She is dangerous.

Slightly elevated BP should not keep you from going to Canada UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES. There is a threatening woman involved with your husband, a man who has admitted he doesn't want you OR the baby. This has got "bad news" written all over it. I'd put distance between us for the sake of my baby.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #284
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Once the child is born, I would give him every chance to sign away his rights to the baby. Forego child support and make sure this man never has contact with the child he so clearly does not want. If for no other reason, to keep the baby away from the psycho GF.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #285
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:

I am not sure she would be uninsured. But even if she is, that is short term. Being stuck in the u.s. for the next 18 years is a bigger problem.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: