Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #256
pampam
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure how you feel about your son being born in Canada, but if this is what you are prefering, you can always take a train or bus if you cannot fly. Or perhaps Mom and Dad could drive to California and get you. There are always other options available.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #257
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

I would not be making any decisions about flying until I spoke to the lawyer. There is nothing wrong with flying at 7 months with a healthy pregnancy. Of course, the doctor would want you perfectly safe, on the ground where he could monitor you and help you give birth. However, if your attorney thinks the best legal strategy is to give birth in Canada (which he might), I would definitely ignore the doctor's (overcautious, IMO) advice.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #258
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

If flying is out, you can always have your Mom and Dad come down and pick you up, to drive back home to Canada.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #259
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I would not be making any decisions about flying until I spoke to the lawyer. There is nothing wrong with flying at 7 months with a healthy pregnancy. Of course, the doctor would want you perfectly safe, on the ground where he could monitor you and help you give birth. However, if your attorney thinks the best legal strategy is to give birth in Canada (which he might), I would definitely ignore the doctor's (overcautious, IMO) advice.
I totally agree! If your lawyer advises you to give birth in canada, and since your pregnancy is healthy, I would be travelling to canada asap...even if you look at other ways to travel besides plane. A bus perhaps. Consult with the doctor again once you have new info from your lawyer.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #260
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I worked for an airline for many years, as long as the pregnancy is stable, flying at 7 months is perfectly fine. I really would love to know she is safely away from this guy...

Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #261
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

OP, did you explain to your doctor that you would be moving home (1 flight) where you have more support, or did you merely ask if it would be ok to fly to Canada (leaving the doctor to think you are doing a round trip just to go visit)?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #262
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Before you come up to Canada to have your birth and healthcare covered, make sure you'd actually be eligible! It isn't like you get it from the moment you get into the country.

Not sure what province your parents are in, but, even assuming you maintained your Canadian citizenship, in Ontario, you'd also need to prove that Ontario is your primary place of residence (and it isn't for you). The rules are:
  • you make your primary place of residence in Ontario; and generally speaking,
  • you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence); and
  • you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...igibility.html

Other provinces may do things differently.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #263
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
I worked for an airline for many years, as long as the pregnancy is stable, flying at 7 months is perfectly fine. I really would love to know she is safely away from this guy...

That would make sense. It would seem like a long bus, train or car ride would be much harder to take then a few hours on a plane, but when I was pregnant I never traveled so I don't know how that would be.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #264
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
Before you come up to Canada to have your birth and healthcare covered, make sure you'd actually be eligible! It isn't like you get it from the moment you get into the country.

Not sure what province your parents are in, but, even assuming you maintained your Canadian citizenship, in Ontario, you'd also need to prove that Ontario is your primary place of residence (and it isn't for you). The rules are:
  • you make your primary place of residence in Ontario; and generally speaking,
  • you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence); and
  • you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...igibility.html

Other provinces may do things differently.
I think the OP said her parents reside on the East coast? I could be wrong and as for a waiting period, they do make exemptions. She is Canadian born, and as far as I am concerned an abused woman. Emotional abuse counts and this guy has the market cornered on it!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #265
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think the OP said her parents reside on the East coast? I could be wrong and as for a waiting period, they do make exemptions. She is Canadian born, and as far as I am concerned an abused woman. Emotional abuse counts and this guy has the market cornered on it!
I moved back to Canada after being in the States for 14 years. I went in to apply for my health card after being in ON for about 3 weeks. I expected to be told that I would have to wait etc. They gave me my health card and those of the children too immediately.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #266
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

I really remember reading somewhere that there are exceptions for pregnant women (and of course, the child will be covered at birth anyway). I don't know which province OP's parents are in, but surely, they can call some provincial health office and find out the details.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #267
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:

I agree totally. She is most vulnerable right now at the point of asking the husband to leave the marital home. The guy is obviously good at masking his true feelings from what she has said, and I would not trust him one bit.

I also believe that the doctor, though he may be a fine ob-gyn, is going to provide warning at even the slightest health flag such as the slightly elevated BP. They need to cover themselves in this day and age of lawsuits.

But, IMHO, the risk of staying there with the husband is far greater than the risk of the flight home to Canada. At the very least, he is uncaring and insensitive to her and her health, and apparently has no paternal instinct towards his unborn child.

As far as the insurance coverage, I would not stay in the U.S. just because she may not be covered in Canada for the birth. You cannot put a price tag on safety, health and well-being. Whether she ends up with a payment plan, or turns to social services, I think she needs to get back home with her family and have the baby there.

I know I have strong feelings on this subject, but I am living in the Midwest in the land of Drew Peterson, Christopher Vaughan, in the neighborhood of Lisa Stebic, and I remember Laci Peterson as well. All beautiful young women, good moms..

Last edited by CarolAnnC; 10-02-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #268
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I would get a second opinion about flying. Are there other doctors in the practice?
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #269
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
I agree totally. She is most vulnerable right now at the point of asking the husband to leave the marital home. The guy is obviously good at masking his true feelings from what she has said, and I would not trust him one bit.

I also believe that the doctor, though he may be a fine ob-gyn, is going to provide warning at even the slightest health flag such as the slightly elevated BP. They need to cover themselves in this day and age of lawsuits.

But, IMHO, the risk of staying there with the husband is far greater than the risk of the flight home to Canada. At the very least, he is uncaring and insensitive to her and her health, and apparently has no paternal instinct towards his unborn child.

As far as the insurance coverage, I would not stay in the U.S. just because she may not be covered in Canada for the birth. You cannot put a price tag on safety, health and well-being. Whether she ends up with a payment plan, or turns to social services, I think she needs to get back home with her family and have the baby there.

I know I have strong feelings on this subject, but I am living in the Midwest in the land of Drew Peterson, Christopher Vaughan, in the neighborhood of Lisa Stebic, and I remember Laci Peterson as well. All beautiful young women, good moms..
I couldnt have said it any better myself. I would NOT under any circumstance give birth in the US...plus think of all the hoops you'd have to go thru to make the baby a canadian citizen. Quite honestly, i'd get a second opinion/new doctor. The Dr said your healthy, except for your BP being slightly elevated. Is a plane ride home really going to damage you/the baby? Think of all the stress youre dealing with being near your husband. You need to be around people who love you and want you around. I would not want to be anywhere near my so called husband since he made it clear he doesnt want to have anything to do with the baby. This is a no brainer. The last thing you want is to be stuck in the US with your baby when you know youre better off at home in canada.

Who knows when your hubby will turn around/have a change of heart and prevent you from legally taking the baby to Canada. This chick might dump him the next day for all you know. Guess who he'll be running to then? He'll probably say something like "i came to my senses and realised that youre the one for me, I dumped her, i'll change blah blah blah" when all along she's the one who dumped him. You decide that since you have a baby together, you'll work on your marriage. Then a couple of years down the road he does it again with another woman, and your back at sq.one. You deserve far better. Get out now while you still can. Start a fresh life.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #270
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post

I don't disagree. My comment was more for those saying to hightail it to Canada because of the insurance coverage. My point being that, if insurance coverage is the reason for the move (I agree with you that there are many other reasons that the move is a good idea), the OP has to make sure that she actually gets said coverage. If the coverage is just a "bonus", then, while the OP still needs to find out exactly what she can get and how, it is less imperative.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: