Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
littleaussie
I tell people my daughters are 75% American and 25% Australian

Disney, a wedding, & DVC. . . OH MY!

Greetings fellow Disney addicts! I was not sure about the appropriate place to put my trip adventures, as it has several parts. I will probably cross-reference the various areas into the appropriate areas as needed.

To begin this adventure, I must report with the players:

Myself - 36, Disney addict. I have been going to WDW area since I was a baby. It never grows old for me.

SO - who became my DH on this trip - 37, self-employed workaholic. Before meeting me, DH has never traveled. We have been together 2 years and this is the 3rd Florida trip for him, not bad huh? I'm sure Disney reps would be impressed with my selling skills.

DD10 - My daughter from a previous marriage. She is a Disney expert and has several trips under her belt.

DD7 - My daughter from the previous marriage. She does not have as many trips as DD10, but that is only because she is 3 years younger

Other supporting players include: My parents - mid 60s, the ones who truly started me on this terrible Disney addiction. They are not hard-core like me, but they started it! They have an off-site time share, which we stayed at this time - more on that later; niece8 & nephew10 - my sister could not come on this trip but my parents offered to take the grandkids; niece17 and her friend17 - a Senior trip for these 2 girls. Friend17 has never been.

The Agenda: Our original plan (organized by yours truly) was:
Sept 17th - fly in, arrive like ghosts in the night
Sept 18th - Magic Kingdom
Sept 19th - DH and I eloping to the Gulf Coast for a beach wedding
Sept 20th - Disney Hollywood Studios
Sept 21st - MNSSHP
Sept 22nd - Shopping
Sept 23rd - transfer to Hard Rock Hotel and have a 2 day P2P pass for Universal
Sept 24th - Morning Universal, fly out afternoon.

Even the best laid plans get waylaid by life events. . . a murder you say? Stay tuned for more on this special broadcast of: <insert clever wording here>

Until next time, I leave you with a photo of us last summer
:

January 2012 - Celebrating engagement with a Disney trip with a stay at WH
January 2011 - WH trip that will not be repeated!
December 2009 - Oak Plantation stay with Disney visit disaster
May 2008 - Traveling the WB Repo 2008 with an ex. . .
January 2006 - WDW at Oak Plantation+ Disney Cruise to the Bahamas
2003 and earlier - Numerous family trips too many to count!

Last edited by littleaussie; 09-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
littleaussie

Table of Contents:

Preplanning
Departure Day
Our First Night - What the Heck is that???
Day 2 - A Magical memory of rain
Day 3 - Wedding Preparation!
Day 3 - Ceremony
Day 4 - DHS & DVC tour
Day 5 - Magic Kingdom and DVC

Last edited by littleaussie; 10-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Sounds like fun!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

I'm intrigued! Sounds like a fun and eventful trip!

Find me on Instagram and Twitter!: @missx0xdelaney
Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Sounds good to me.Can't wait to hear about the wedding. Congrats on that.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
littleaussie

Preplanning

Thank you everyone!

All good trips have a detailed plan, right?

My parents approached me about 6 weeks before we left with an offer: they had 2 weeks of their time share that was up and coming and suggested we book 2 condos for 1 week to use it up. Their time share was at Oak Plantation Resort.

The grounds and pool area of the resort are very nice. I especially like the peacocks that roam the grounds.

The rooms, well. . . they leave a little to be desired. More on that later.

We decided it would be a great last minute trip to take. I found a steal of a deal on airfare with Allegiant out of our local airport to SFB. Alamo was much, much too expensive for a full sized car but I went on hotwire one day to compare and found another great deal for a car rental. $150+ for a week. I was awarded Hertz, not bad out of SFB, I thought.

Everything was organized. I bought Universal tickets from UT. Usually I buy Disney tickets in advance too but this time, for some reason, I didn't. This served me well later when our plans went awry!

DH approaches me 3 weeks before we leave and casually suggests we get married while we are down there. We had been talking about going to the courthouse for ages, but this sounded more fun! Our parents had been pushing us to get married in a big wedding but we both have done that before and wanted something more meaningful. We decided to elope, neither set of parents knew our plans.

I contacted a wedding planning company based in Florida and they set us up. I went to David's bridal 9 days before we were set to leave to see if I could find a dress. The dress I wanted, was 1 size too small. So I ordered it and hoped it would rush deliver before we left. Here's the link to the one I liked:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...ures-All-Gowns

It may sound very unorganized and stressful to plan something big this way. But when it comes to Disney trips, I usually plan 6-8 weeks out. I like the last minute chaos, it helps time go fast. So when we decided to get married, I researched until I found a company who would take us on last minute. But if I hadn't found a company that was available, I knew both of us would've been ok with getting married at the courthouse in Kissimmee. It was something different, better than getting married at the courthouse in FarmTown, USA. Same with the dress, I ordered it with the knowledge that if it didn't arrive in time, I could return it (and I had a backup idea in case I didn't have a dress) Did it arrive in time? We shall see. . .

Last edited by littleaussie; 09-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Holding my breath to see if dress came in on time.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady
Holding my breath to see if dress came in on time.
Me too! It's beautiful, I hope it worked out!

Find me on Instagram and Twitter!: @missx0xdelaney
Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
littleaussie

Departure Day - lost tickets

The day we were waiting for finally came. Kids went to school, adults went to work. Yours truly dutifully got off work and packed the kids' suitcases and the wedding dress that actually came before we left in the adult suitcase. I received a call about 1 hour before we were set to leave from DH. "Could you pack my stuff too? I am running late."

To be a good future wife, I packed his stuff too. Checked and double-checked everything and came to realize the Universal Tickets are no where to be found!!! I searched high and low and tore apart the cleaned house looking but never did discover their hiding place. Due to taking so much time to search, I ended up throwing a bunch of DH's clothes up in the air and catching them in the suitcase. Well that's what you get for asking me to pack for you!

**About a week after we returned, I found the tickets in my girls' school portrait package envelopes. Don't ask me how they got there!

We drove the 2 hours to the airport, just in time to check in and hear final boarding call for our flight

Made it on the plane just in time and realized because we were not early, Allegiant gave our paid for seat assignments to someone else. We had to sit wherever. Can't really blame Allegiant for that one, although I have to point out that the flight that arrived to our town had arrived 45 minutes early. Hence, Allegiant decided our flight returning to Florida would leave early too. Great. . .

Arrived into Sanford around 10:45 p.m., checked into Hertz and got our car. It took about 1 hour to drive to Oak Plantation Resort. But our fun had just begun and we would not get to sleep for 3 more hours because. . .To be Continued.

Last edited by littleaussie; 10-01-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
angelbear425
Mouseketeer

I just subscribed to this thread. I am so anxious and curious to see what happens.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

Hi joining in. The dress you ordered is so beautiful. Can't wait to read along and see how this all unfolds.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Because.. beacuse...you left me hanging in the air! OKay I will wait until you post again. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the resort.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
littleaussie

The First Night - What the heck is that????

So we arrived at Oak plantation just before Midnight. After we unloaded 3,000 pieces of luggage into our 2 condos, my dad and I decided to do what normal people do at Midnight: shop at Wal-mart! DH was exhausted, so he stayed with my girls. Dad and I had our own adventure at Wal-mart, stocking up for an early departure to MK the next morning.:

While we were gone my mom called. . . 6 times! Houston, we seem to have a problem with our rooms! It seems we were not the first occupants of the rooms. Others were there before us:

Dad and I quick checked out and blew off the man in the parking lot who said he was not a free-loader or asking for money but could we just give him $17 for his car repair to add to the $50 he already had??? We get back to the condos and meet an irate DH and an irate mom. So back to the front desk to get another set of rooms.

Now I don't know about you guys but I have never seen a roach before. They would not last well in our cold ND winters. They were the size of small mice, I kid you not! Our condo was upstairs so we only had a few but my parents had them EVERYWHERE!!!

So gross!!! I freaked out and panicked about our luggage being infected.

They had told us at check-in that our rooms in the 1600 building were the only 2-bedrooms that were side by side (available). All the others were full. Guess what? Magically, 2 more 2-bedrooms in another building appeared after our roach problem!!! I am amazed by magic tricks, like this one.

I am happy to report that we did not have roaches in the second set of rooms. The layout of the rooms was the master bed/bath on one side, the living area/kitchen in the middle and the 2nd bedroom with 2 queens on the other side:

It was probably close to 3 a.m. when we got everything moved and unpacked the groceries and went to bed. Unfortunately, we opted not to do the MK the next day, thanks to Mr. Roach and his buddies. But, we had an unexpected pre-wedding memory, that will stay with us forever, that happened the next day. . .
Old 10-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
Aulika
Mouseketeer

I want to know the rest of the story.
DLRP AP Holder since 2011
Old 10-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Wow, you had a whirlwind trip arrangement and a whirlwind wedding to plan! I am truly impressed!!! Your girls are gorgeous!! I am so happy your gown arrived in time. It is so beautiful!!

Boo to the roaches!!

Looking forward to more of your adventures!!

Sept. 2012 TR: It's a Jungle Out There!!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2989662

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: