Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Stingray City Grand Cayman (photo) ;o)

Stingray photobomb
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...135743169.html

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I saw that yesterday on the site it was hosted on. Their faces are priceless!
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

I just booked an excursion there for our November cruise. I'm SO afraid my kids are going to completely freak out and not get off the boat. Heck, *I* might not get off the boat. Not showing that photo to my husband!
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

My DH just saw this photo on another news site. He is now freaking out saying "We're going there! That's terrifying!" I had to explained that the ray was not jumping out of the water on those women, that someone was holding it up.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
honeylove
Mouseketeer

I, too saw this and thought it was hilarious!! But definitely a once in a lifetime picture!

honeylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
kirkaliciasmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool
I just booked an excursion there for our November cruise. I'm SO afraid my kids are going to completely freak out and not get off the boat. Heck, *I* might not get off the boat. Not showing that photo to my husband!
I was there in 2010. It was one of the best excursions. The water is only approx 3 ft deep. You don't have to touch the stingrays, although they will be swimming all around you and brushing against you. It was an awesome experience to feed and hold these gentle creatures. I'll be doing this one for sure in the future!

kirkaliciasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

So...not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but how do you not get stung being in the water with all those stingrays?
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabuzz View Post
So...not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but how do you not get stung being in the water with all those stingrays?
Just be careful and respectful of them in their natural environment. Listen to everything the guides tell you to do/not do and follow those instructions. They are as close to domesticated as they can be, having grown up with the constant presence of humans. Does this mean that a freak accident, a la Steve Irwin, could not happen? No. They are wild animals and given the right circumstances, will defend themselves.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabuzz View Post
Stingrays only sting when stepped on or otherwise feel threatened. These stingrays, while wild, are used to having people around them. They don't sting unless threatened.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
OMGoodness! That picture is PRICELESS! That would actually be something that would seal the deal on that excursion rather than be a deal breaker for me. I LOVE when there's that level of interaction.

1990ish - WDW - Off-site | 2000 - DLP | July 2011 - WDW - All-Star Music | October 2011 - DLR - Off-site | December 2012/ January 2013 - NYE Disney Cruise - Magic | February 2014 - WDW - Saratoga Springs - Glass Slipper Challenge | October 2014 - WDW - All-Star Music - Tower of Terror 10-Miler | February 2015 - WDW - AKV Kidani Village - Glass Slipper Challenge | November 2015 - DLR - Off-site - Avengers Half
EpicBilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Tolson70
Mouseketeer

That is awesome.
Disney Wonder - Bahammas January 2008
Carnival Festivale - Puerto Rico and St. Thomas - 1985
Tolson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
itzkelly
Earning My Ears

OMG, this picture is HILARIOUS!!!

I did this excursion back in 1/2010 and admit when I first got into the water, I had some slight anxiety and almost got back into the boat...however, I quickly snapped out of it and ended up having a GREAT time with my two friends. They really are docile, and the guides bring squid/fish that they will give you (if you want) so you can feed the stingrays....I passed on this but my friends did it - their mouths are below them so you have to hold the fish in your fist with it sticking out the top so they can come by and snatch it up. We did get a picture giving the stingray a kiss.

I've booked this excursion for our cruise next week and am hopeful my boys (ages 7 and 5) will want to get in the water with them. We will have plan B in place if not!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
momto2girlsLA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkaliciasmom View Post
I was there in 2010. It was one of the best excursions. The water is only approx 3 ft deep. You don't have to touch the stingrays, although they will be swimming all around you and brushing against you. It was an awesome experience to feed and hold these gentle creatures. I'll be doing this one for sure in the future!
I was there in 2010 as well and it was amazing!!! I was not sure I wanted to do it but my DH insisted that I get off the boat and once I did - it was soooo cool. We are taking my kids on a dolphin excursion during our cruise and I can't wait - I think they are too young for this but I know in a few years - they would LOVE it.

Planning a possible 4th of July trip to WDW - July 2015
momto2girlsLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Haha! This picture is both hilarious and horrifying at the same time!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: