Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #106
fivebyfive
Mouseketeer

Quote:
And I think the girl with pot in her purse is an idiot but I still wouldn't call the school. She may be dumb but she's likely not dangerous.
No, she's probably not. But I bet the drug dealer whom she got the pot from also sells hash, cocaine, ecstasy and several other non-dangerous drugs.

The problem is that weed is very much a 'starting point'.

I had a friend (James) whom I knew since kindergarten. We too were in grade 9 the first he showed me the weed in his cigarette pack and asked me if I wanted to smoke up, very similar to the OP's story. That of course led to several other types of drug use for years to come.

We were up at James' cottage one weekend and he and a friend (Peter) who were stoned; drove his car into a ditch. The friend took the wheel while James went to the front of the car to push it back up and out. The friend was so high that he had the car in 'drive' oppose to 'reverse', flooring over James, killing him instantly.

James died at the age of 22 in 1998. A few months later Peter couldn't live with himself and committed suicide.

Again, the problem is that weed is very much a 'starting point'.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #107
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Honestly, this is nothing new, and it certainly won't be the first or last time your child is offered drugs. If it were me I would praise my kid for saying no, and move on. As a PP said, you need to prepare your child for the road, not the road for your child.

However, if you are truly that gung-ho about this issue, and you believe that it is something that must be rectified, I can't see how you can tell your daughter not to name names. I don't think you can have it both ways. If you all are going into the school with guns blazing and cleaning up the drug problem, when this girl gets busted she is going to know exactly who the info came from. I think if you have convictions that are that strong you need to stand up for them and teach your daughter to do the same. (FTR, I do NOT agree with this stance)

I am, honestly, quite shocked, OP, that you are that shocked. This was pretty common when I was in school, and I have a sophomore, and it's still pretty common. All things considered pot is on the mild end of the drug spectrum. Ask any kid how many kids are crushing and snorting adderall and oxycontin.

I am going to say this, and I will probably regret it, but JP, you need to step away from the computer and take a very deep breath, or meditate or something. You posts come off as quite hostile.
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #108
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
Honestly, this is nothing new, and it certainly won't be the first or last time your child is offered drugs. If it were me I would praise my kid for saying no, and move on. As a PP said, you need to prepare your child for the road, not the road for your child.

However, if you are truly that gung-ho about this issue, and you believe that it is something that must be rectified, I can't see how you can tell your daughter not to name names. I don't think you can have it both ways. If you all are going into the school with guns blazing and cleaning up the drug problem, when this girl gets busted she is going to know exactly who the info came from. I think if you have convictions that are that strong you need to stand up for them and teach your daughter to do the same. (FTR, I do NOT agree with this stance)

I am, honestly, quite shocked, OP, that you are that shocked. This was pretty common when I was in school, and I have a sophomore, and it's still pretty common. All things considered pot is on the mild end of the drug spectrum. Ask any kid how many kids are crushing and snorting adderall and oxycontin.
+1 I believe the OP was shocked because this was the first time DD had encountered this. Immediately calling her DH and then his calling the principal with ultimatums was over the top IMHO.

Our high school has 2 police officers on duty at all times and the "drug dog" is brought out unannounced every so often and has been since I was there 25 years ago. Had this been the case with one of my sons, I think someone could have discreetly told one of the officers that it was time to bring the dog in for a check.
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #109
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Over here in England, I've been offered drugs and alcohol of various kinds and strength, seen people smoking weed all over the place, being high IN school, being drunk in school, selling drugs just outside the gates, selling cigarettes on a large scale (100's a day), opened virtual candy stores out of their backpacks with actual candy (no mention of how they got it) and other 'candy' inside school grounds.

All that before I was 16. It got worse thereafter. You'd be surprised at what goes on behind closed doors. Someone in my school got busted for cocaine possession. That was unusual, they mostly preferred the less lethal/expensive drugs in my area.

I agree with pp's. all you can do is train your daughter to be responsible and alert any friends of what goes on, if they don't know already. I suspect it's a widely known issue.

Oh, and if you want a really scary story, somebody over here was caught selling meth... At about 9. It was their parents. Toddlers have been found with it too.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #110
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Don't fear the reefer.

just kidding

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #111
jp24
Panic Ruminator

Don't mistake aggression and the willingness to protect my family for being unhinged. I'm actually nice, giving, well respected member of my community. But I'm not above being physical to protect my family and those I love.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #112
MzDiz
Insert Custom Tag Here
The Tag Fairy is scared of my "collections"

My 14 year old is curious what planet y'all are from where weed in high school is a shocking development.

At least is doesn't give you 'roid rage. *mumble and point*
MzDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #113
jp24
Panic Ruminator

This has been an enlightening discussion. Thanks to all that participated.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #114
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Wow. Pot was around in huge quantities even back in the dark ages when I went to school. Those that sold it often sold only pot and never did any turf wars break out.

I think that the best way to handle it is to teach your own child to stay away from it. If they do so, you've been a successful parent. However even the best parents in the world might have kids that try it. Even some of those great parents might have tried it themselves.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #115
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Wow. Pot was around in huge quantities even back in the dark ages when I went to school. Those that sold it often sold only pot and never did any turf wars break out.

I think that the best way to handle it is to teach your own child to stay away from it. If they do so, you've been a successful parent. However even the best parents in the world might have kids that try it. Even some of those great parents might have tried it themselves.
I think people really forget or have these idealistic views of what was around "back then"

Oddly enough as I was pulling up this thread I was listening to the song "Reefer Man" Originally written and performed by Cab Calloway in 1933.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #116
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post

My DH told him he'll give him a week to come up with a plan to end the drugs on school property otherwise he will call the police. He also told him we would help in any way we could.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip... 11/22 - 11/29 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #117
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
Apparently I need to say this again, there is no way my DD is giving up names & telling on anyone!!!

And the reason why she texted from school was because she was so shocked by what happened & we are very close & she tells me everything. She could be labeled as a "goody two shoes" & stuff like this freaks her out. She just didn't think she would be put in that position at school.
My dd would have texted me too. She would have been a bit stunned and not sure if she reacted right so she would call for reassurance. You don't have to explain your relationship with your dd to anyone here, someone always has to make some comment about a hs kid talking (GASP!) to their parents.

You know, I am one that thinks pot should be legal just as alcohol is. And I know that kids drink and smoke when not at school. I graduated in 81 and just like somone else said, my hs days were very much like Dazed and Confused. So, been there done that, got a few of the t-shirts. But with that said, that doesn't mean I think what happened to the OP's dd is ok.

While we did our share of partying, we did not do it AT school. No drug dogs, no police; just a very wise principal and a few coaches that knew where and when to watch. But, you know, with all that partying and thinking we knew it all, I am much wiser now and I do not want my dd to make the choice to smoke pot or drink alcohol during her high school years.

I would not just let it go nor ignore it. I would have talked to the principal. And if dd did not feel comfortable giving the girl's name, telling him the class it was in would be a big step. The drug dog could always make a surprise inspection when they are leaving that class.

I don't agree with some that think the girl with the pot could be dangerous, but pot doesn't belong in school anymore than alcohol does, and as parents we should be helping the schools in any way possible to fight this battle.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #118
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Unless my kid was in some kind of danger, I doubt I would have said anything.
I would of said something. I think. I would worry about my retaliation against my daughter and that would stop me. BUT my first thought is if I was the mother of the other kid I would want to know

BUT way to go to your dd
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #119
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
I don't agree with some that think the girl with the pot could be dangerous, but pot doesn't belong in school anymore than alcohol does, and as parents we should be helping the schools in any way possible to fight this battle.
This made me think of when I was in HS. We used to bring screwdrivers in a thermos in the morning and even smoke a joint in the parking lot before going into the building. Some kids even did it in the bathrooms.
This is not a new problem, and you are right that it doesn't belong in school but if it hasn't changed in 20 years, what is going to change now?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #120
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

All was well until I read that your DH said the principal had a week or he'd call the police... what?

I teach in a public high school and there will ALWAYS be drugs on campus. Despite our best efforts, closed campus, school rules, adult supervision during lunch, etc. Not a good thing, but most likely, a reality.

OP: you've alerted the school to a situation they already knew about, your DD has a good head on her shoulders. Not much else for you to do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: