Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #76
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund
 
NHdisneylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany (formally from New Hampshire)
Posts: 13,959

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp24 View Post
I'm shocked that you don't see the connection.

It's our "keep your head down and mouth shut" collective attitude that has this country going in a really bad direction. Is this girl's nickle bag of pot the cause of all our problems? Of course not, but our reaction to it is a symptom of a bigger problem.
I have not seen people saying not to react though . Many people are simply saying there are better ways to react--or that the OP should have been proactive and not even BE reacting. Or that the OP herself is, in a way, the one keeping her head down and mouth shut" by supporting her daughter in not naming names.

And even at that--the quote seems to me to be more saying that we are so easily distracted by inconsequential stuff that we don't take the time to handle the issues we see--which is not what you are saying here, nor does it have anything to do with the thread.
__________________
Hadley

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #77
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that.

What many of us are saying is that we can't trust the school or the police to handle the situation in a way that helps rather than making it worse. There's a very big difference between that and not caring at all.
This helps, thank you for saying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah5525 View Post
OP...maybe you should have waited until your daughter got home to discuss the details. You were mad and shocked and may have needed a breather before calling husband and he calling the school. You always want to be the one person your daughter knows that she can confide in and depending on how she reacts to her dad calling the school, and the conversation you have when she gets home...you may no longer be her "go-to" person.
The part I bolded I totally agree with!!!

I'm her "go to" person still, no question about it and she has no issue with the fact that DH called the school. She knows us well enough to know how serious we would take something like this. Luckily she takes it serious too and feels that it was inappropiate what the girl did.
__________________
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #78
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp24 View Post
I'm shocked that you don't see the connection.

It's our "keep your head down and mouth shut" collective attitude that has this country going in a really bad direction. Is this girl's nickle bag of pot the cause of all our problems? Of course not, but our reaction to it is a symptom of a bigger problem.
I don't see the connection with this countries fascination with celebrities and keep your head down and mouth shut attitude. Maybe its because I'm one of those parents who would keep my mouth shut. I'm one of those parents who would thank my lucky stars that my dd said no, and be perfectly happy not going to the principal or the police. I'm one of those parents who wants to make sure my dd knows how to say no when she is pressured to take drugs, but I'm not going to make it my job to contact the parents of the ones doing the pressuring.
I'm also one of the parents who doesn't contribute to Honey Boo's ratings, or even know who the housewives or their husbands are. I am also very concerned with Obamacare, but can't really discuss why on the DIS. My head is very much out of my *** thank you very much.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #79
jp24
Panic Ruminator
 
jp24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR & St. Cloud, FL
Posts: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I have not seen people saying not to react though . Many people are simply saying there are better ways to react--or that the OP should have been proactive and not even BE reacting. Or that the OP herself is, in a way, the one keeping her head down and mouth shut" by supporting her daughter in not naming names.

And even at that--the quote seems to me to be more saying that we are so easily distracted by inconsequential stuff that we don't take the time to handle the issues we see--which is not what you are saying here, nor does it have anything to do with the thread.
There have been a few responses stating that it's "no big deal" and "this has been going on forever, so who cares?" To me, this attitude and the sentiments in the quote I posted remind me of a collective mindset that if it doesn't affect me directly, why should I care? There was a PP that pointed out that we are apathetic as a group. This is absolutely true. We are raising a generation of me first, apathetic, instant gratification kids. It's just sad.
__________________
Hardcore Mickey fan for life, yo.
jp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #80
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Also, just btw, if your husband was just blowing smoke, hope it doesn't blow back at you, if the principal himself calls the cops and says he's got information a girl was passing pot in school - ask your daughter about it.

That'd be doing what your husband asked and I can see someone reacting to a ridiculous and unwarranted threat in that manner, frankly.
It won't, trust me. The principal isn't going to call the cops about this. He knows about the kids smoking on the grounds, so do the teachers & the teachers have seen it, smelled it & no one has called the cops, ever.
__________________
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #81
jp24
Panic Ruminator
 
jp24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR & St. Cloud, FL
Posts: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
It won't, trust me. The principal isn't going to call the cops about this. He knows about the kids smoking on the grounds, so do the teachers & the teachers have seen it, smelled it & no one has called the cops, ever.
Which is why it continues and why your daughter will continue to be offered drugs in school. The system is broken at your daughter's school, from the top down.
__________________
Hardcore Mickey fan for life, yo.
jp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #82
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp24 View Post
Which is why it continues and why your daughter will continue to be offered drugs in school. The system is broken at your daughter's school, from the top down.
You are absolutely right!
__________________
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #83
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
It won't, trust me. The principal isn't going to call the cops about this. He knows about the kids smoking on the grounds, so do the teachers & the teachers have seen it, smelled it & no one has called the cops, ever.
Yeah, except your husband called up and threatened that he'd call the cops if the principal didn't magic the drug problem in a week.

If I were that principal, I'd call the cops and point them to your house, honestly. You want the cops? Here they are - you're the ones with the information, spill it or don't come running to me, you know?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #84
1001 Ghosts
Could you guess that the Haunted Mansion is my favorite attraction?
 
1001 Ghosts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 183

What an excellent time to once again point out that as long as tobacco (a highly addictive & killer drug with zero medicinal benefits that is also a proven health hazard to those exposed to it's smoke) remains legal in this country, there is absolutely no reason to respect the motivations behind the drug laws of this country.

It's a shame that respect for the policies of this board prevents me from pointing out the extremely obvious flaws in logic unknowingly exhibited by some posters in this thread.
1001 Ghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #85
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it
 
Ginny Favers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp24 View Post
There have been a few responses stating that it's "no big deal" and "this has been going on forever, so who cares?" To me, this attitude and the sentiments in the quote I posted remind me of a collective mindset that if it doesn't affect me directly, why should I care? There was a PP that pointed out that we are apathetic as a group. This is absolutely true. We are raising a generation of me first, apathetic, instant gratification kids. It's just sad.
I, too, am surprised that people are saying, "What's the big deal?"

It's like that commercial "Buzzed driving is still drunk driving." So what if it's not hurting anyone? It's still illegal. And it has the potential to.

People think that as long as it's not them and their family being hurt, it's ok to look away. If it ends up being their family, they can always sue.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #86
jp24
Panic Ruminator
 
jp24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR & St. Cloud, FL
Posts: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I don't see the connection with this countries fascination with celebrities and keep your head down and mouth shut attitude. Maybe its because I'm one of those parents who would keep my mouth shut. I'm one of those parents who would thank my lucky stars that my dd said no, and be perfectly happy not going to the principal or the police. I'm one of those parents who wants to make sure my dd knows how to say no when she is pressured to take drugs, but I'm not going to make it my job to contact the parents of the ones doing the pressuring.
I'm also one of the parents who doesn't contribute to Honey Boo's ratings, or even know who the housewives or their husbands are. I am also very concerned with Obamacare, but can't really discuss why on the DIS. My head is very much out of my *** thank you very much.
Look, you seem to think things through before you post, which is a rare quality. If you took my quote to think I was pointing directly at you, I wasn't. My point was that until we change our habits and mindset in ourselves, the problems will continue to get worse. I think you'd have to agree that the drug problem isn't any better than it was 25 years ago. Actually, with the invention of meth (which is really proliferating here in Portland and SW Washington), it's much worse. Until we all have a mindset that it has to be fixed no matter what, it won't be.

Edit - If that means some dumb 8th grade chick with a dime bag that is a repeat offender (according to OP) has to go to jail overnight, be expelled from school and have her college future in jeopardy, then so be it.
__________________
Hardcore Mickey fan for life, yo.
jp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #87
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it
 
Ginny Favers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001 Ghosts View Post
What an excellent time to once again point out that as long as tobacco (a highly addictive & killer drug with zero medicinal benefits that is also a proven health hazard to those exposed to it's smoke) remains legal in this country, there is absolutely no reason to respect the motivations behind the drug laws of this country.
Um...Tobacco does not significantly impair one's mental state. Maybe if you talked about alcohol... but it is still heavily regulated...
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #88
1001 Ghosts
Could you guess that the Haunted Mansion is my favorite attraction?
 
1001 Ghosts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Um...Tobacco does not significantly impair one's mental state.
Take them away from a smoker for a couple of days, observe their behavior, and then try to repeat that with a straight face.
1001 Ghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #89
jp24
Panic Ruminator
 
jp24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR & St. Cloud, FL
Posts: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001 Ghosts View Post
What an excellent time to once again point out that as long as tobacco (a highly addictive & killer drug with zero medicinal benefits that is also a proven health hazard to those exposed to it's smoke) remains legal in this country, there is absolutely no reason to respect the motivations behind the drug laws of this country.

It's a shame that respect for the policies of this board prevents me from pointing out the extremely obvious flaws in logic unknowingly exhibited by some posters in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Um...Tobacco does not significantly impair one's mental state. Maybe if you talked about alcohol... but it is still heavily regulated...
I get where he's going with it. Big tobacco is ridiculous. If we had a big pot cartel protecting their industry, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Tobacco is a killer, pure and simple. But it's legal and will probably always be legal.

Whether or not we respect the motivations behind the drug laws, the are still drug laws and must be respected until they are changed. If not, you suffer the consequences. It's no different than speeding. You can choose to speed (which I do on a regular basis), but you run the risk of getting pulled over (which I have 5 times in my life). You play on the wrong side of the law and you can pay for your decision. Another thing I drum into my kids' heads.
__________________
Hardcore Mickey fan for life, yo.
jp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #90
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp24 View Post
Look, you seem to think things through before you post, which is a rare quality. If you took my quote to think I was pointing directly at you, I wasn't. My point was that until we change our habits and mindset in ourselves, the problems will continue to get worse. I think you'd have to agree that the drug problem isn't any better than it was 25 years ago. Actually, with the invention of meth (which is really proliferating here in Portland and SW Washington), it's much worse. Until we all have a mindset that it has to be fixed no matter what, it won't be.
I know it wasn't directed at me personally, although I am in that group of parents you are talking about. My point was those things you mentioned are not mutually exclusive to those with the say nothing attitude.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.