Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Dairy Free/Allergy question

We haven't been to WDW in 5 years & the time prior to that they had chicken nuggets my son could eat. He was just shy of 2 so chicken nuggets were a staple in his life then. Then when we went 5 years ago that was not the case. They were not a safe food for him. Luckily he grew to like BBQ chicken legs.

Fast forward to this year, we are headed to WDW in less then a month. I got the 'list' for foods available (not a complete list). He has a dairy, peanut/treenut & egg white allergy. Although he can have eggs cooked in stuff so I don't worry about that unless it is a meringue which he won't eat anyways.

So I am wondering if anyone has eaten the AllergyFree chicken tenders & do they taste OK. My son is 9 & still loves chicken nuggets but he is still picky & if something tastes different he cringes. He is a boy, he should just eat, right?

And how about the Udi's hotdog/hamburger buns? I have read that they aren't that great. I am considering bringing my own & carry around with me just to keep him content & not grossed out.

I will have a car for a few hours since my Florida sister is driving my other sister & her kids up to Disney for our vacation. So I can do a store run but it is FL & not CT so things are not what we are used to up here. I swear my kids looked at me like I was crazy when I gave them a hot dog in April at my sisters house & it was not a New England Style hot dog bun. Sorry kids its a side cut, not a top cut like we are used to.

Also, pizza, where can I get it for him with dairy free cheese? I know he can have one in Pizza Planet. And he had a cheeseless one at WGP Express.

I know I can get him ice cream at various places & I will bring him cookies to eat (Oreos). He isn't a big cookie eater & like only 2 kinds. I make him chocolate chips & he cringes, really?!?! And I will bring stuff to make RK treats for him.

And lastly, butter. Do they use Earth Balance now? I am mainly talking at the resorts. We are eating at Chef Mickeys & WCC & are staying at the Poly otherwise I will pack it in ice packs in my suitcase.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

The chicken tenders are actually strips of chicken so if he's fussy about only eating nuggets rather than tenders (I wasn't sure based on what you posted) then he won't be happy. They taste GREAT!!! When we're ordering several for the 3 of us with allergies, DH orders them too since they taste better than the regular ones.

We use Udi's buns at home for me and DD12 so obviously I'm fine with them. Of the various GF buns we've tried, these seem to be the closest to what I remember white bread being like. The GNI buns on the other hand aren't so great. Some chefs do a good job of heating them in a way that makes them good (the chef at the plaze grilled the hot dog buns to make my phili steak sandwich) but some don't do much of anything other than put them on a plate. At CS locations, they won't do much other than maybe microwaving it. I'm not a huge fan of the GNI buns.

If he's not used to gluten free breads at all and he's fussy, you probably are better off bringing your own buns.

The only places we've gotten pizza is at our resort because none of the park ones are safe for my multi-allergy kids. Resort chefs have done a great job.

Yes they use Earth Balance at most locations. There are a few that use Smart Balance but the majority use Earth Balance.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

You can also get dairy-free pizza at Pzzafari. There were a couple of options for crusts or maybe one crust but two cheese choices? The chef showed me the binder but I don't recall exactly. I do know the crust was gf and was very... flat. But it was DF and beggars can't be choosers! Lol. I am not sure about pn/tn or egg though. I would think it would be nut free and if baked egg is ok you should be fine.

Chefs have also been great about DF ice cream, milk shakes, etc.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Pizzafari has Amy's dairy free pizza. It is gluten free as well

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Thanks.

I don't think Amy's is dairy free though, well the ones they sell here in Stop & Shop are not.

But it is good to know about Pizzafari as well as Pizza Planet.

I will have to look for the Udi's buns here & try them out before hand. I know I have seen the bread somewhere.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailsilver View Post
Thanks.

I don't think Amy's is dairy free though, well the ones they sell here in Stop & Shop are not.

But it is good to know about Pizzafari as well as Pizza Planet.

I will have to look for the Udi's buns here & try them out before hand. I know I have seen the bread somewhere.
I can tell you that Amy's is dairy free. I buy it from Publix or Whole Foods almost every week for myself. It is a staple meal for me if I am in a hurry. This is also the brand they use at Pizzafari. I am dairy allergic not lactose intolerant so have to be careful I don't pick up the lactose free version. Amy's makes both.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
I can tell you that Amy's is dairy free. I buy it from Publix or Whole Foods almost every week for myself. It is a staple meal for me if I am in a hurry. This is also the brand they use at Pizzafari. I am dairy allergic not lactose intolerant so have to be careful I don't pick up the lactose free version. Amy's makes both.
Not ALL Amy's is dairy free, but Disney stocks the ones that are, if that clears anything up.

CS can be more hit and miss, but any table service meals will do a great job feeding your son.
I would try the Udi's out. I wondered if gluten was bothering me for a while and really liked their products. Sometimes I get their bagels rather than regular ones just because I like them.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
Not ALL Amy's is dairy free, but Disney stocks the ones that are, if that clears anything up.

CS can be more hit and miss, but any table service meals will do a great job feeding your son.
I would try the Udi's out. I wondered if gluten was bothering me for a while and really liked their products. Sometimes I get their bagels rather than regular ones just because I like them.
Thanks.

The Amy's they have in my store are not dairy free. I was questioning my ingredient reading skills, lol.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Amy's does make a gluten free vegan cheese pizza. I haven't looked into the ones at WDW to see if these are the ones they carry as they do also make vegan pizzas with regular crusts and gluten free pizzas with regular cheese, but Amy's does make them. http://www.amys.com/products/product.../pizzas/000266

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER

Quote:
Thanks.

The Amy's they have in my store are not dairy free. I was questioning my ingredient reading skills, lol.
What I look for on the Amys products is either dairy free or vegan. They have a wide variety. If they don't have that on the box I don't even bother to check the ingredient list. I also eat their Mac and Cheese.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: