Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #76
shortbun
Peacenik

I think your son already knows and chooses to hold on to the magic. Don't worry.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #77
scootch
DIS Veteran

My daughter was 10 at the time and kept asking "what's the real deal with santa"..... she kept this up and I was worried about her little sister would find out... she would even pass me notes with "what the real deal about santa"... so I finally told her. She looked at me and said, "hmm. if there is no santa... then you and daddy bought the laptop for christmas(it was a family gift)??? and I said, yea... she threw her arms around me and said, "I LOVE YA!!" It was quite a precious moment. Then she asked, "well if there is not santa, is there an easter bunny... and I said, "well you will have to figure that one out yourself "....

My youngest is now 10(but is only in 4th grade)... she still believes so we will see for how long.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #78
Aulika
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym66 View Post
Found this on pinterest, a mom had posted it...

What do you do when your kid asks for the truth? You tell it, of course, doing your best to figure out a way that keeps at least some of the magic intact.

Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your letter. You asked a very good question: ďAre you Santa?Ē;

I know youíve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and Iíve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.

The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.

I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)

I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.

This wonít make you Santa, though.

Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they canít see or touch.

Itís a big job, and itís an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. Youíll also need to believe in things you canít measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.

Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts heís filled with joy.

With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.

So, no. I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. Iím on his team, and now you are, too.

I love you and I always will.

Mama
Thank you for posting this !
DLRP AP Holder since 2011
Aulika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #79
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Mine still believe and to cover why mom and dad have to watch our spending so that we can send Santa the down payment:

1. The economy has not only raised gas prices but the rein deer food too.
2. Santa had to cut back on puppies because he had to send the elves to college to learn how to make ipods and video games. So parents have to supply any pet requests.
3. The ones in the mall are his agents but you never know who is the real one.
4.The elf o the shelf is santa's special agent assigned to our house.
5.Santa use the same paper for everyone just look for the one's with your name. (always wrap then ship to paw paw's house a week before)
6.Santa will leave the batteries near the boxes.
7. The toys on the shelf at the store are prototypes or samples the originals are made at the work shop.The ones in the store after christmas are the extras Santa made just in case.
8. If you dont believe than he wont come any more. The same apply to the Easter bunny and tooth fairy.

My kiddos are now 9,7,&3. All of the above are working for us. But my DS(9) and his questions over the past 3 years have caused DH & I to get more creative as you can see. I mean I still have my DD's 7 & 3 who believe with every fiber of their being that Santa and Tinkerbell are very much real.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #80
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
I think your son already knows and chooses to hold on to the magic. Don't worry.
Thanks
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #81
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsharon View Post
Please tell me what the elf on the shelf is
?????
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #82
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

Our 4th grader still believes and so does her best friend. What is the harm in that? Life is full of so much bad stuff, let kids be kids. I know that she has been told by kids that he isn't real but she still believes. When she asks me I just turn it around on her and ask her if SHE thinks he is.

My parents never told me that there wasn't a Santa, and I just always went along with it, even as a teen. It was fun! They knew I had figured it out but neither of us ever mentioned it.

My hubby always laughs at me when, on Christmas Eve, I have to make sure that the glitter is by the fireplace, that the boot prints are outside in the snow, etc. Live it up!

Oh...and Pippy, our Elf on the Shelf, is alive and well also.
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #83
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GoofyCrew View Post
Our 4th grader still believes and so does her best friend. What is the harm in that? Life is full of so much bad stuff, let kids be kids. I know that she has been told by kids that he isn't real but she still believes. When she asks me I just turn it around on her and ask her if SHE thinks he is.

My parents never told me that there wasn't a Santa, and I just always went along with it, even as a teen. It was fun! They knew I had figured it out but neither of us ever mentioned it.

My hubby always laughs at me when, on Christmas Eve, I have to make sure that the glitter is by the fireplace, that the boot prints are outside in the snow, etc. Live it up!

Oh...and Pippy, our Elf on the Shelf, is alive and well also.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #84
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

I have always told my kids if you believe in Santa, you will have gifts marked from Santa and if you don't, you won't. As they get older I mark less and less from "Santa."

My oldest knows better, my middle plays along and my youngest I'm not really sure. She's old enough to know better but still holds out a little I think.

I have never gone above and beyond to make the magic real to them, I don't do reindeer tracks or elf on the shelf (he creeps me out). I enjoy the fun of it, same as the easter bunny and the tooth fairy (the jig is up on those, I dodge the questions from the younger one but I know they just play along for me) For some reason Santa is the last hold out for my kids. It's fun and harmless. When they ask about friends at school I tell them the same thing, if you want to believe fine and if they don't fine.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #85
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsharon

It is this little doll or "elf" that people take out during the month of December and put somewhere in there house. Some parents are super creative with it and have the elf do different things at night show up in different places etc... Some parents tell their kids that the elf reports all the bad stuff they do to Santa. I have never done it.. But I know a lot of parents that do and have fun with it!!

http://elfontheshelf.com/AboutUs/TheTradition.aspx

AB6876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #86
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6876 View Post
It is this little doll or "elf" that people take out during the month of December and put somewhere in there house. Some parents are super creative with it and have the elf do different things at night show up in different places etc... Some parents tell their kids that the elf reports all the bad stuff they do to Santa. I have never done it.. But I know a lot of parents that do and have fun with it!!

http://elfontheshelf.com/AboutUs/TheTradition.aspx
Thanks for the info
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #87
mdsouth
DIS Veteran

Elf on the Shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsharon View Post
Elf on the Shelf started with a book. Many people have a stuffed elf that they set out from time to time from the day after Thanksgiving to Christmas and the elf is moved around the house. The elf typically does some mischeivious silly things, like gets out toys, moves toys around, etc.
If you google Elf on the Shelf you can find the book and ideas from people. I think there was a thread on it last year here on the DIS.

Sometimes you can buy the elf along with the book. Check out Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

Feb 9-16, 2014 - PORFQ with S/P/D offer
Summer 2009 - CSR
May 2005 - CBR

I must be completely insane or not! June/July 2009 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2159070
mdsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #88
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Wait....
There's no Santa?
Wow....
Bummer.

The Whole Gang August 2014 AKL
LaurenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #89
Sinderelly
Princess

I told my children "the real Santa story" when they were both very young (2-3 yrs old). I believe in always telling the truth. We expect the truth from our children and I believe in giving them truth in return. We had fun pretending there was a Santa. I can't think of it being any more fun even if they really believed. We told Santa stories and even left milk and cookies for "Santa Dad" lol. I told my children the real Christmas story and I believe it was less confusing for them to know the truth from the very beginning.

Also, as a child I remember being very upset with my parents when I found out Santa wasn't real. I was upset thinking they had told me a lie.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #90
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Wait....
There's no Santa?
Wow....
Bummer.
Only if you dont believe in the magic of Christmas

Display Modes Rate This Thread