Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
ain0004
Mouseketeer

Should I upgrade to a bigger car?

We are traveling in 48 days, best rate so far with with Budget for a compact car. Total 158. plus change after coupon. I see today we could upgrade for about 30.00 more dollars to a bigger car. We are a family of 5 and have 3 small girls. Only one will require a booster. Luggage I am not worried about, one of us may take DME. Or we might just do carry on's and do laundry at our resort. But I want a rental car co. that doesn't charge me extra for additional driver. So I am being too cheap??? I would like my rental to go down more but being so close to Thanksgiving I doubt it will. Any suggestions? I guess it comes down to how much space we need.........
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ain0004 View Post
We are traveling in 48 days, best rate so far with with Budget for a compact car. Total 158. plus change after coupon. I see today we could upgrade for about 30.00 more dollars to a bigger car. We are a family of 5 and have 3 small girls. Only one will require a booster. Luggage I am not worried about, one of us may take DME. Or we might just do carry on's and do laundry at our resort. But I want a rental car co. that doesn't charge me extra for additional driver. So I am being too cheap??? I would like my rental to go down more but being so close to Thanksgiving I doubt it will. Any suggestions? I guess it comes down to how much space we need.........
I think you will be pretty squished. Our first trip was with 2 small girls and we rented a compact. One suitcase wouldn't fit in the trunk and so it was stuck between the girls for the ride..... not the way we wanted to start our trip. I will no only rent a compact if it just DW and I. We go mid-size or higher if the family is going..... but then again, our girls are 13 and 16 and both 5' 7".
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Personally, for me, I would never rent a compact car. As to how much space you need, only you can answer that. What do you drive now? I thing fitting three children in the back would be a very tight squeeze.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Keep in mind that the cars that car rental companies call "compact" are often cars that rest of us would call sub-compact or tiny.

For a family of five (with one in a booster) and luggage, I would look at getting a full-size. Even full-size cars tend to be something along the lines of a Toyota Camry, not traditional Detroit full-size cars.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Yes, I would upgrade. Your poor daughters will be in the backseat, especially with a booster!
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Keep in mind that the cars that car rental companies call "compact" are often cars that rest of us would call sub-compact or tiny.

For a family of five (with one in a booster) and luggage, I would look at getting a full-size. Even full-size cars tend to be something along the lines of a Toyota Camry, not traditional Detroit full-size cars.
Good point. OP - look at the sample car on your reservation and keep in mind it's only a sample. Try to picture your family in there with the luggage.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Compact sedans typically have very small trunks.

Compact hatchbacks have plenty of room for luggage when the back seat is folded down, but minimal room for luggage when the back seat is in use.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

This is also why I am a fan of Alamo and National because you can choose any car in that class, so you are able to find one that works.

I am a HUGE fan of National's Emerald Club where you reserve a mid-size and get "aisle" service. They do put larger cars on the aisle at times, but you can't always count on it. From personal experience, we have always been able to choose at least a full size and one time a mini-van for the mid-size price. YMMV, but I love the program.

Duds
Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But I want a rental car co. that doesn't charge me extra for additional driver.
Sign up for alamo's Insider program. It's free and one of the benefits is a free additional driver.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: