Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
maux
Mouseketeer

I will be there Oct 3-8 and have been watching the forecast since the ten day mark. One day it's 60% chance the next day 10% the next day 30%. I never worry about it until I'm there. I just put my Disney poncho on and off I go!

maux.
maux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
ellie05
Mouseketeer

Don't worry to much so far in advance. We arrive the 4th and I been checking the weather and this how much the predictions have vary since. First it was 85 and sunny, then it was 80 with rain and thunderstorms and a 60% chance of rain, then it was 85 with 20% of rain. Now it says Isolated T-Storms 30% chance of rain. All this variations in the past 2 days. Once it is only a day or two ago start planing weather wise. Have a great trip .
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Pack as if it will rain a lot and then don't worry! It said it was going to rain almost everyday we were there. Mostly there were little bits of rain here and there - no big deal. One day it rained for several hours we were in the park. We put on our ponchos and all was fine. We wore Keens sandals - I forget which kind, perhaps Newport - that could handle getting wet just fine and they were comfortable too. It did not ruin a thing. Take a swim towel to dry off ride seats. You don't say the ages going on this vacation, but I read a tip about strollers before we went - always put the rain cover on when you park it if there may be a chance of rain. It did rain while we were at lunch - it poured for about 15 minutes. So glad the stroller was covered!!

On the rainy morning at DHS, the characters were inside. Have fun and don't stress about it.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
budafam
DIS Veteran

We'll be there from the 2nd-10th and I'm not worried one bit. Nothing is certain till it happens especially in Florida. I still watch the weather but I don't freak about it if they're showing rain everyday (which they have to in Florida)...
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM

budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
DisneyLandMan
Mouseketeer

I was just in WDW and got home yesterday after 8 days down there. 9/19-9/26. Before we left, the weather forecast said rain or thunderstorms every single day. Even while I was there I would check the weather for the upcoming days and it always said AT LEAST 50% chance of rain. Well, it only rained one day during our entire trip, and that was last Saturday. It rained for pretty much the entire afternoon and evening and nto the night but that was it. We just shopped that night and had dinner and went in the hot tub at the hotel. But other than that, the forecasts were completely off. A few afternoons were cloudy and looked like it MAY rain, but never a drop.

My advice, pack some shoes you dont care about getting wet, and bring a poncho and go about your business as you had originally planned. Like everyone says, "a rainy day in Disney is better than a nice day at home"
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #21
MuchLovedMama
Mouseketeer

I think I jinxed my trip last week. We got rain every day except 1. We were a group of 12. I'd convinced the 8 other people to go with us in September and for 4 of them this was their first trip to Disney. I told them we've always been so lucky, never having rain when we go. I always say it's like Disney has a giant umbrella over it and we rarely see more than 15 mins of rain for our whole week. Well, this year was pretty bad. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't just 15 minute showers either it was hours at times. Luckily we pretty much got everything done that we wanted but my lesson learned was to buy ponchos ahead of time. We didn't buy any there either so we stood in shops quite a bit or just said screw it and went out in the rain and got pretty wet. I think we could've done even more had we had ponchos.
1998 - Offsite
2000 - CBR
2008 - POP (first trip with the kids)
2010 - POP
2012 - AoA
Upcoming ???
MuchLovedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

If it looks like a lot of rain, bring a change of shoes to the park. Clothes usually dry, it is the dang shoes that can make you miserable.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
psugrad99
Earning My Ears

Thanks for posting.

I think you were reading my mind. I am going 10/2 - 10/8 and when I checked it said 60% rain for the first 4 days and my heart just sank. I too had pre-purchased the photo pass + and was afraid I won't get many pictures.

Thanks for all the advise guys & gals !! This made me feel so much better.

DCL - Land & Sea - Nov 2004, Western Double Dip - Nov 2006, Land & Sea - Dec 2008, East Caribbean - Oct 2010 - Takin' the In Laws, 5 Night Double Dip on the Dream - April 2012, West Caribbean - Oct 2013, West Caribbean - Oct 2015

WDW - Caribbean Beach & MNSSHP - Oct 2012, Port Orleans Riverside - April 2013, VGF - Nov 2014

psugrad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

We've learned a lot about dealing with rain from our camping and travel adventures. Basically, there are two ways to handle it- either don't get wet, or get wet and dry out quickly (We learned that in Hawaii- they don't wear flipflops and rayon shirts for nothing !). Here is my list that combines those two tactics, and it works no matter where we are:

1. If it's threatening rain, we carry our packable rain jackets.

2. We always wear athletic sandals/water shoes- Merrell and Teva are my favorites. They're good support for the feet, are great when it's hot, and they can get wet- soaking, wading-through-rivers wet. My daughter just wears flipflops, but I'm WAY too old for that.

3. I carry a small microfiber towel.

4. And finally, we never, ever wear cotton pants/shorts/skirt- it's synthetic microfiber all the way! They dry in a flash and are easy to wash so if you only want to pack one or two pair, they'll last you the whole trip. Personally, I also wear a silk, rayon or microfiber top, but it's not as critical.

Once it was raining so hard that there was water eight inches deep in Tomorrowland, and we walked right on through. We also don't have to worry about getting too wet on any of the water rides, because we'll dry out fast!

Last edited by QueenElinor; 09-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
train
Earning My Ears

No worries - it's no longer 'summer' so the daily July and August afternoon rain is not as typical now.

But - like others have said, you could be at your hotel and it's raining but not at the parks. We live close to the parks, and we take the kids and go anyway if it is raining at our house because lots of times it is not raining at our park of choice. Or by the time you get over to a park, the rain has stopped, as typically it only rains here for a short time. Tropical storms and hurricanes are a whole other story.

One suggestion that many Orlando residents rely on is to check the interactive weather map on accuweather, weatherchannel, etc., if you've brought your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. The map will give you a good idea of any rain moving into the area and when. You can watch the weather on TV, but then again it may not rain where you are.

Bottom line: it might rain but just go anyway!
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
PrincessP
Mouseketeer

I found that the throw away ponchos worked well for us last week. They are small and easy to carry....and you don't mind throwing them away once you're done instead for worrying about getting them dry and trying to package them up small again. I will bring a set for every park day in the future.

Bring an extra pair of shoes or shoes that can weather the rain....that way the following sunny day you aren't slushing around in soggy shoes.

Keep treking....it's warm so the rain is bearable. It rained nearly every day we were there last week......we just kept going.

Some rides do close during thunder/lightning.....like Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, and other "outside rides."

When you see the rain clouds moving in....get to a show like Hall of Pres, Carousel of Progress, etc. or some area of the park that has indoor touring/shopping. The rain will likely pass and be done by the time you are out.

Have fun.....those rain drops are just extra droplets of Pixie Dust.

1977, 1982, 1989, 1992, OKW June 2002
Poly Sept 2009 - 1st trip for and with our own children!
Poly Sept 2010 - had so much fun we had to go again!
Poly Sept 2012 - another magical vacation
PrincessP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #27
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for the great advice!

[QUOTE= Like everyone says, "a rainy day in Disney is better than a nice day at home" [/QUOTE]

That is definately true! Work has been hectic these past 6 months and I can't wait to be at the happiest place on earth!

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

I am in the camp with those that say if it is raining, go and enjoy the short lines! that said, I dislike having wet pants - and when you sit down in a ride with wet seats, you soon have one of your own. So i bring rain pants and a super duper breathable, raincoat that is moisture repellant - that never gets wet even if you walk in the rain for hours. ponchos blow in the wind and you get wet and they never stay under you on wet seats. In my rainsuit with a small umbrella I am a happy camper. I was at WDW MK with a disser friend one year and we kept waiting for the rain to stop and over 3 hours later it was still pouring and gusting so we headed out and the water was at least 3 to 5 inches deep on the way to the buses. so it can get really really wet - but there is still lots to do and it doesn't usually even in a storm like that last the whole trip. So play in innovations, ride Ellen's adventure - do the inside stuff, have a bite to eat... If it doesn't let up, go see a movie in dtd or go back to your room and watch Disney movies there.
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

All great advice here! Just a few extra thoughts:

1) If you're worried about rain now, I can tell you that rain in relatively warm weather is FAR BETTER than rain in colder and windy February or early March temps. We've done warm rain and cold rain at WDW, so we're not quite as concerned for our upcoming October trip.

2) I'm a big fan of disposable ponchos for many reasons, but my family said "no more!" We're bringing our rain jackets and WDW ponchos (although I can't resist packing the disposables too.) The disposable ones don't last long and we end up getting too wet.

3) As previous posters mentioned, shoes are a big part of this. Crocs for the kids, merrells for my husband and me.

And please don't worry too much about the photos - one of our favorite pictures is the five of us outside of MK in ponchos and soaking wet. Same for childhood photos - love the ones of us huddled together in our Disney ponchos!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
April 2015: Easter Weekend at VWL!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

We're going the same time you are so we were worried about the forecast. But in our experience Florida weather can be temperamental. It can rain one minute and be dry the next. Just pack for the weather, bring shoes that can get wet. Go by the dollar store and get ponchos (in colors other than Disney sells - otherwise your family will get lost in the crowd). Maybe we'll see you there, have a great trip!

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: