Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #31
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Aren't all of the ships on the East Coast at the times of the Miami cruises? If this is the case, then do they even have 4 docks at PC to have all 4 ships there at once? If not, then DCL is basically forced to find new ports of call for the other ships during those time periods. And if the ships aren't approved/certified/are too big for new ports of call, then that would explain why the itineraries for all ships are so similar. I know all 4 of their ships are rather large, so this may preclude(is that the right word)them from going to smaller ports that do not have space for larger vessels.
As far as Galveston is concerned, it makes perfect sense to me to have a cruises leave from there. If they are all based in FL, then people on the West Coast during those times(primarily Spring Break) are all forced to fly across the country to leave. At least Galveston is closer for people on the west coast and in the middle of the country.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #32
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
As far as Galveston is concerned, it makes perfect sense to me to have a cruises leave from there. If they are all based in FL, then people on the West Coast during those times(primarily Spring Break) are all forced to fly across the country to leave. At least Galveston is closer for people on the west coast and in the middle of the country.
This makes sense until you look into it. We live in San Francisco and were considering booking a cruise out of Galveston. What I found is that the cost of flights from LA or SFO to Houston are much more expensive then to Miami (at least between now and March 2013). Also, there are few non-stops so the travel time is less if you go to Miami. Add the fact that Houston is a 1.5 - 2 hour drive to Galveston and it is far less time and money to go to Miami.
Galveston was not a choice made to attract the west coast folks.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #33
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Aren't all of the ships on the East Coast at the times of the Miami cruises? If this is the case, then do they even have 4 docks at PC to have all 4 ships there at once? If not, then DCL is basically forced to find new ports of call for the other ships during those time periods
That was my thought. I think next fall/winter all four ships are here in FL.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
This makes sense until you look into it. We live in San Francisco and were considering booking a cruise out of Galveston. What I found is that the cost of flights from LA or SFO to Houston are much more expensive then to Miami (at least between now and March 2013). Also, there are few non-stops so the travel time is less if you go to Miami. Add the fact that Houston is a 1.5 - 2 hour drive to Galveston and it is far less time and money to go to Miami.
Galveston was not a choice made to attract the west coast folks.
Interesting about the flights. I fly out of LAX, but I admittedly didn't price Galveston. I wonder if other areas like Seattle and the like have greater access to Houston vs Miami?
I honestly think it is the issue of having 4 ships and needing "parking spots". What other ports in the US on the East Coast are there that can house one of the ships? We know NY, but that seemed like it was a "special" thing-like they could get a dock, but not a contract there.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: