Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
DisneyEater
Mouseketeer

We have 2 kids and shoot for $200-$300 per kid. The last few years have been difficult because the older one gets a much smaller pile due to wanting more expensive things as she grows up.

My family does a $25 max polyanna for nieces and nephews and my wife's family does a $50 one that includes everyone.

Add in parents, grandparents, parent-in-laws, friends....it adds up fast.
DisneyEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by girli565 View Post
We are having our first child due in May 2013, and i'm sure my husband and I will probably go crazy buying the baby gifts at christmas even before it's born, lol. So no budget for the baby this year

But there is a budget for the adults in our family. Between being pregnant and waiting to close on our house we are strapped for cash. So adults will be $10-15 each and no more!!
Congrats on the baby!! Have fun shopping! If you wait until after Christmas, you can get a great deal on a Baby's First Christmas outfit to use the following year.

Our budget will be set at $1000 firm this year. The kids will be about $200 each, DH & I $20 each, both sets of parents - $60 each, and $50 for my niece/nephew. DH & I are never big spenders for each other. That leaves about $200 misc for extra food, odds & ends, and shipping costs if needed.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

We do a big family trip each year in lieu of a big Christmas. I spend $100/per child including stockings. DH and I don't buy for each other.

Each year the kids are given a budget for the trip (usually in September) and have to research where they want to go. On Christmas Day they each give their presentation and the family votes on where we're going. Its been a lot of fun! Some of the presentations have been really elaborate. Some years a couple of the kids have chosen the same destination. Every child has had their trip chosen at least twice so far. We've done cruises, all-inclusive resorts, a dude ranch, 2 weeks in Florida, etc. The trips are taken at some point during the year, usually over spring break or in the summer.

I found its a great way to get kids learning, without it seeming to be a chore. They pick the destination, research what there is to do and see to make it a good family vacation, budget out the costs of airfare, hotels, meals, rental cars, etc. One year our oldest had done a presentation on a river rafting/camping trip down the Colorodo River. I was sweating that one (I hate to camp) as everyone other than DD#2 seemed to be going his way. In going over his numbers I found that he'd forgotten to airfare for 6 people, which would have put him way over budget!

On Christmas Day we drag out the photo albums & videos of previous trips and relive them.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
tianna26
Mouseketeer

We are saving for our trip which will be part of xmas & birthdays for the year so we are not really doing xmas this year. Unless something is such a great deal i cant pass it up & can be used for the trip
Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
pigget74
DVC Beach Club Villas

There are 6 of us in my family. We buy for his mom and grandfather and nephew. We buy for my parents and then we draw names for my nieces and nephews---since I have 4 kids---I buy for 4 kids. Then we add preschool teachers (3), grade school teachers (2). My older 2 do not want to give teacher gifts, but I do something small for them (10 total). This does not include close friends of family--we exchange family gifts.

We are taking the kids to Disney in May--that is part of their Christmas. On top of this including stockings---I will try to spend less than 150 per kid---that includes a gift to each sibling. DH and I have a $50 limit that the kids use to buy us a gift.

We try to only spend about $50 per parent and grandparent and his nephew. My nieces and nephews we spend about $25-$30 per kid. I try and do nice clearance items for teachers that I get throughout the year. I great coffee shop opened near the schools so everyone is getting a coffee card
June 2009--Kidani Animal Kingdom March 2011--Kidani Village Animal Kingdom May 2013 --Beach Club Villas Graduation Trip
(19) (16) (8) (6)
pigget74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #21
mrudman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
We do a big family trip each year in lieu of a big Christmas. I spend $100/per child including stockings. DH and I don't buy for each other.

Each year the kids are given a budget for the trip (usually in September) and have to research where they want to go. On Christmas Day they each give their presentation and the family votes on where we're going. Its been a lot of fun! Some of the presentations have been really elaborate. Some years a couple of the kids have chosen the same destination. Every child has had their trip chosen at least twice so far. We've done cruises, all-inclusive resorts, a dude ranch, 2 weeks in Florida, etc. The trips are taken at some point during the year, usually over spring break or in the summer.

I found its a great way to get kids learning, without it seeming to be a chore. They pick the destination, research what there is to do and see to make it a good family vacation, budget out the costs of airfare, hotels, meals, rental cars, etc. One year our oldest had done a presentation on a river rafting/camping trip down the Colorodo River. I was sweating that one (I hate to camp) as everyone other than DD#2 seemed to be going his way. In going over his numbers I found that he'd forgotten to airfare for 6 people, which would have put him way over budget!

On Christmas Day we drag out the photo albums & videos of previous trips and relive them.
That sounds like so much fun!! I'd love to do that with dd's.. once we get past the Santa phase, I think I'm going to try this,

If I may ask, how old are your kids?

mrudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

I have about $1000 this year.
DD1 wants cash (broke college student); DD2 wants some cash and a couple small gifts. $300 total for them. (both are adults, and neither lives at home, so they get less from us now)

DS, I'll spend about $250-300 on (camping gear for Scouts, legos, video games).

That leaves about $400-- for a family gift (Xbox 360, maybe?) or for DH/myself. Plus stocking stuffers.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

We have 3 kids and our budget is $150 per kid. I think our budget is on the lower end of the spectrum, according to other posts I've read.

When we add in gifts for our extended family, and some kid birthdays around the holidays, and gifts for eachother (DH and I) our total budget is $1000. Which is quite a chunk in my opinion!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
pigget74
DVC Beach Club Villas

Forgot to mention....our kids are only allowed to ask for 3 things. Those are the main things...only 1 can be a big item. The other things are things we think they will like or have talked about. We try to keep the amount of gifts the same, but the older ones realize the little ones do not cost as much. So, there are times that we come way under budget Just because we came under does not mean we have to go out and buy more.
June 2009--Kidani Animal Kingdom March 2011--Kidani Village Animal Kingdom May 2013 --Beach Club Villas Graduation Trip
(19) (16) (8) (6)
pigget74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

We're doing a couple of small gifts for each kid from us. Santa will bring a combined gift which will be Legos and an elf-made Lego table. Santa is also going to put some chocolate and a gift card in the kids stockings. We're really trying to minimize what the kids get from us again this year. With the grandparents and aunts and uncles, they always end up with so much and most of it is rarely played with.

We'll probably spend about $80 on my niece and nephew combined. The grandparents will get photos again this year. I did really splurge on my mom though. I got her a laptop on woot today. I'm going to give it to her when it arrives. She's been trying to look up and price her antiques and collectibles as well as reconnect with old friends and her 8 year old pc is so painfully slow with only 512 mb ram that it makes even surfing next to impossible.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
We'll probably spend about $80 on my niece and nephew combined.
We cut out nieces and nephews a while ago. At least on my side we did. I was fine with that because we were getting the short end of the stick. We have one child and my siblings all have 3 or 4. It was getting way too expensive to buy 16 gifts between the two families (DW's and mine).

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
We cut out nieces and nephews a while ago. At least on my side we did. I was fine with that because we were getting the short end of the stick. We have one child and my siblings all have 3 or 4. It was getting way too expensive to buy 16 gifts between the two families (DW's and mine).
Yeah, no way would I be buying gifts for 16 kids. We only have the two and there aren't likely to be any more so it is doable. We only have two kids also so it is even-steven.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #28
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Congrats on the baby!! Have fun shopping! If you wait until after Christmas, you can get a great deal on a Baby's First Christmas outfit to use the following year.

Our budget will be set at $1000 firm this year. The kids will be about $200 each, DH & I $20 each, both sets of parents - $60 each, and $50 for my niece/nephew. DH & I are never big spenders for each other. That leaves about $200 misc for extra food, odds & ends, and shipping costs if needed.
Thanks, it's funny you mention waiting, after I posted my response I thought if I wait until after xmas I could get some good deals! lol, great budget minds think alike
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #29
curlyjbs
1 Tequila...2 Tequila...3 Tequila...FLOOR!!
Rendered unconcious by the sight of the Tag Fairy!
Needed a little color!

OP here. I love the trip ideas but with the kids school schedules its too difficult. DH and I really don't exchange big ticket items...mostly stocking stuffers. We stopped exchanging with siblings as well only the nieces and nephews get gifts and we cap it at $40 each.

"Never underestimate the power of a group of stupid people!"
* HIFS 10/01 * HIFS 6/04 * RPR 6/04 * RPR 8/07 * Windsor Hills 8/07 *
"It's disney....it's crowded. Get over it & go to Universal!
NCL DAWN! THE BAHAMAS, RCCL EXPLORER! WESTERN & EASTERN CARIBBEAN!
curlyjbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #30
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

I would love to get to the point that I do what my friend does. (I am not there by any means but her logic is as follows:

She gives her kids the following:

Something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to Read.
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: