Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
theggs4ever
Earning My Ears

Pixar cruisers--walk to Ghirardelli in SF

Did anyone walk there? If so, how was it?

Thanks.
theggs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
minniemoms
There's no place like Disney

I don't think it's far, but just would like to know just how far.

minniemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
kristof65
Mouseketeer

It depends on what pier the ship is at, but to give you an idea, IIRC from my years in the area, it can take 15-20 minutes to walk from Pier 39 to Ghirardelli. I think the cruise ship piers are a little further away than pier 39, though.
kristof65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
GoofyDisneyDaddy
Mouseketeer

It is definitely walkable, and a pretty walk as well, partly along the bay, past pier 39 and the sea lions, and its generally very touristy with shops and what not along the way. Probably a 20-30 min walk.
GoofyDisneyDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
dittymau
Earning My Ears

From where the ship docks there is really neat street trolley that runs along the embarcadero ($2/pp) that will take you the short distance to fisherman's wharf, from there. It is a short walk to ghiradelli square. I also recommend the Buena Vista Cafe nearby for a truly original SF experience, Irish Coffee! BTW, I also recommend a visit to the Disney Museum ($20/pp) for true Disneyphobes...
dittymau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
FOV
Mouseketeer

We were just in San Fran this summer and we visited Ghiradelli Square, but not from a cruise ship. It is very close to Fisherman's Wharf. The square itself is tiny. It's a little area with a few shops, including the famous Ghiradelli ice cream parlor. The first time we went there were huge lines to even get into the shops (we were there in July, so a busy tourist time) so we left and came back later. Second time we only waited about 15 minutes to get our ice cream. The sundae was good but of all the things to do in San Fran I would probably skip this and do something else.

If you have kids the Exploratorium is awesome! Even my 14 y/o (the "I hate all museums, all the time" kid) loved it. I had to drag him out of there. We all loved it.

Another thing that we liked was Chinatown. One of my kids favorite things from the whole trip was going to the tiny Chinatown Fortune Cookie factory and getting taste of a warm cookie right off the griddle. The factory is really small but it was interesting and fun to see.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

It was super close. We had our cab from the Walt Disney Family Museum drop us off at Ghiardelli for ice crem then strolled back to the ship..slowly on the street, not by the water..and it didn't seem to take long at all. Maybe 10-15 minutes walking slowly and peeking into shops? I think we docked at Pier 35..super quick to Alcatraz also that was at Pier 33. We had the giant Celebrity Millenium docked by us.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
caladbolg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOV View Post
If you have kids the Exploratorium is awesome! Even my 14 y/o (the "I hate all museums, all the time" kid) loved it. I had to drag him out of there. We all loved it.
We did the Exploratorium! Super fun with all the hands-on science exhibits. My 10 year old didn't want to leave. I definitely recommend.

The Wonder docked next door to pier 39. Here's a photo to give you an idea of how close!

caladbolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
BAT
Mouseketeer

Nice shot!
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
jlmarr
You got that right

It's about 1.1 miles according to Google Maps. I've created a custom path through the heart of Fisherman's Wharf rather than the most direct path. You can always return via the most direct path, i.e. North Point St.

http://goo.gl/maps/XSp03

Be sure to use Street View to get an idea of the inclines involved near Ghirardelli.

Last edited by jlmarr; 09-27-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Mention Street View
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
jlmarr
You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittymau View Post
I also recommend the Buena Vista Cafe nearby for a truly original SF experience, Irish Coffee!
Ditto on that. A great Irish coffee. Allegedly it was invented there. Buena Vista is at Beach & Hyde, across the street from the cable car turntable.
Quote:
BTW, I also recommend a visit to the Disney Museum ($20/pp) for true Disneyphobes...
*Disneyphile
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
KimnChris
No Kids yet, but still Crusin`

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladbolg View Post
We did the Exploratorium! Super fun with all the hands-on science exhibits. My 10 year old didn't want to leave. I definitely recommend.

The Wonder docked next door to pier 39. Here's a photo to give you an idea of how close!

Great Pic!

The square is about a 15 min walk - Could take 20 if you have kids.. But an easy non uphill walk, tons to see while your walking..

I highly recommend taking in some bread at the original Boudin bakery.. While walking some things to remember..

A - Street performers / peddlers etc - There will be quite a bit of these guys performing and some even do this hide behind a fake bush and scare you for tips. Just been cautious, but usually nothing to worry about.. Try to avoid if you don't want to get hounded for tips.

B - Taxis and the road - Careful crossing roads and watch out for the taxi's those guys are careless and reckless, stay on the walkways.

C - Pier 39 is pretty awesome just note the food is super expensive. Also the aquarium is pretty cool, but expensive and very short.

KC
Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
ludari
DIS Veteran

I walked past Ghirardelli twice on the same day. Not a far walk.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
theggs4ever
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone. We will have a 7 year old and a two year old (she is in a stroller). Is the cable car turntable near Ghirardelli?
theggs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
KimnChris
No Kids yet, but still Crusin`

Quote:
Originally Posted by theggs4ever View Post
Thanks everyone. We will have a 7 year old and a two year old (she is in a stroller). Is the cable car turntable near Ghirardelli?
Yes over by Hyde street there is a turnaround.. Right near the square.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: