Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Help me pick?!

This January I'm going to WDW for the first time and I'll be celebrating my 21st birthday while I'm there.

I'm having trouble deciding which restaurant I'd like to have dinner at, can anyone make some suggestions? Drinks aren't much a priority for me (I live in Canada so legal age here is 19 anyway), but I'd like to have one or two. My boyfriend is still 20 though so it can't be any sort of venue or restaurant that's 21+.

At the moment I'm debating between Cinderella's Royal Table, Tony's Town Square or California Grill..

Thanks!
Baby Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Of those, CRT and CG may be hard to get reservations for at this point, but if you can, I would go with one of those. Tony's gets mediocre reviews on the boards.

If it were me, I'd choose CG, much more romantic and sophisticated, but I'm not much into character dining.

Regarding CRT, many report that the food is also mediocre, but that the experience is what you go for, and the experience usually gets pretty good reviews (character dining isn't really my thing, so I can't tell you from first hand experience).

If you want Italian, either resturant in the Italy pavilion will serve you well. Le Cellier is also a solid choice. Sanaa and Jiko have nice atmospheres. It depends on what you want and what is available.
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Of those, CRT and CG may be hard to get reservations for at this point, but if you can, I would go with one of those. Tony's gets mediocre reviews on the boards.

If it were me, I'd choose CG, much more romantic and sophisticated, but I'm not much into character dining.

Regarding CRT, many report that the food is also mediocre, but that the experience is what you go for, and the experience usually gets pretty good reviews (character dining isn't really my thing, so I can't tell you from first hand experience).

If you want Italian, either resturant in the Italy pavilion will serve you well. Le Cellier is also a solid choice. Sanaa and Jiko have nice atmospheres. It depends on what you want and what is available.
Both CRT and CG are available for me, much to my surprise.

Hmm, it's the architecture and atmosphere of CRT that excites me, and the fact that it's inside the castle. However, when it comes to character dining I don't mind it but prefer fully costumes characters as opposed to face.

Tony's I might save for another day, I'd like to try it since it's themed after Lady and the Tramp.

I understand restaurants will sometimes decorate the table, or offer a complimentary dessert if they know it's your birthday. Do any of these restaurants go about the celebration differently or is it generally the same throughout the park?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Pluto View Post
Both CRT and CG are available for me, much to my surprise.

Hmm, it's the architecture and atmosphere of CRT that excites me, and the fact that it's inside the castle. However, when it comes to character dining I don't mind it but prefer fully costumes characters as opposed to face.

Tony's I might save for another day, I'd like to try it since it's themed after Lady and the Tramp.

I understand restaurants will sometimes decorate the table, or offer a complimentary dessert if they know it's your birthday. Do any of these restaurants go about the celebration differently or is it generally the same throughout the park?
If both CG and CRT are available, I say book them! and cancel later. It's easy to cancel, those reservations won't be available later, though.

Regarding, special celebrations, you can note it on your reservation when you make the booking, but also you can get a pin (I think Europe calls them "badges" I'm not sure about Canada) that you can wear telling everyone it's your birthday. I highly suggest it, as it it made me feel really special and I think may have increased the amount of pixie dust I received (though, if you're shy, it may be a lot of unwanted attention).

The best advice is to not expect anything, and be pleasantly surprised if something happens. When I went I got a "birthday" dessert at both of the TS resturants I went to (a generic cupcake at Cape May and creme brulee at Le Cellier), but this doesn't happen for everyone. I've heard of CG putting confetti on the table for birthday celebrations.

If you want something guaranteed, BF can order a cake or special slipper dessert to be delivered to your table. Ultimately, it's best not to expect anything.
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
If both CG and CRT are available, I say book them! and cancel later. It's easy to cancel, those reservations won't be available later, though.

Regarding, special celebrations, you can note it on your reservation when you make the booking, but also you can get a pin (I think Europe calls them "badges" I'm not sure about Canada) that you can wear telling everyone it's your birthday. I highly suggest it, as it it made me feel really special and I think may have increased the amount of pixie dust I received (though, if you're shy, it may be a lot of unwanted attention).

The best advice is to not expect anything, and be pleasantly surprised if something happens. When I went I got a "birthday" dessert at both of the TS resturants I went to (a generic cupcake at Cape May and creme brulee at Le Cellier), but this doesn't happen for everyone. I've heard of CG putting confetti on the table for birthday celebrations.

If you want something guaranteed, BF can order a cake or special slipper dessert to be delivered to your table. Ultimately, it's best not to expect anything.
Oh great idea, thank you!! This will give me the ease of mind to ponder it a little while longer.

We plan to notify the CMs on any reservations we make, and I hope to get my pin the day we arrive!

The extra pixie dust would be lovely, but I know nothing is guaranteed. Regardless if nothing were to happen, I know I'll have an absolute blast while I'm there!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I wouldnt bother with tonys. Food is disgusting. Theres a reason this place gets bad reviews.

Cali Grill is WONDERFUL! Amazing food and great view.

Never been to CRT but ive been dying to try it. Looks like fun!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

btw i agree with the pp re: booking either italian reataurant in epcot if you want italian. both are incredibly delicious!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
loganpaulsmom
DIS Veteran

California Grille is being closed for renovations soon, make sure it will still b open.. I would definitely do a signature for my birthday. As previous posters have said CRT is great for the atmosphere and not the food.. If you want a place for the food I would try Narccosses at the grand Floridian, Flying Fish at the Boardwalk I have never been but I heard Jiko is awesome as Animal Kingdom..
loganpaulsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

While the menu at CRT is somewhat limited, the food was surprisingly OK.

And if you want a picture of yourself with one of those many Princesses, CRT is second to none.

Also, CRT does not serve alcohol, so this is not an issue for your 20 y.o. boy friend.

CA Grill has the best view in Disney. Even with all of the children, it's more romantic than CRT. More food options too. If you can get in, go so you can see & hear the fireworks....they lower the lights and pipe in the sound.....you might also be able to see Illuminations in EPCOT.....

CRT is charming; CA Grill is a bit more special.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I wouldnt bother with tonys. Food is disgusting. Theres a reason this place gets bad reviews.

Cali Grill is WONDERFUL! Amazing food and great view.

Never been to CRT but ive been dying to try it. Looks like fun!

I haven't actually looked at the reviews besides the star rating on the WDW website, which seemed fine. I'll admit Tony's only interests me for the Lady and the Tramp theme and I expect I'd find better italian elsewhere.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganpaulsmom View Post
California Grille is being closed for renovations soon, make sure it will still b open.. I would definitely do a signature for my birthday. As previous posters have said CRT is great for the atmosphere and not the food.. If you want a place for the food I would try Narccosses at the grand Floridian, Flying Fish at the Boardwalk I have never been but I heard Jiko is awesome as Animal Kingdom..
I've made reservations for the night of my birthday at the CG, just in case. Would the website allow me to do this if they were closed for renovations at that time?

We're staying at the AKL so I decided to save any AK dining for another day.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll take a look at the two you've mentioned!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Baby Pluto
Under the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post
While the menu at CRT is somewhat limited, the food was surprisingly OK.

And if you want a picture of yourself with one of those many Princesses, CRT is second to none.

Also, CRT does not serve alcohol, so this is not an issue for your 20 y.o. boy friend.

CA Grill has the best view in Disney. Even with all of the children, it's more romantic than CRT. More food options too. If you can get in, go so you can see & hear the fireworks....they lower the lights and pipe in the sound.....you might also be able to see Illuminations in EPCOT.....

CRT is charming; CA Grill is a bit more special.
I wasn't aware CRT was alcohol free, thanks for letting me know! While I'm not big on alcohol I did want to have a celebratory drink so I'll have to take that in consideration! My boyfriend is hoping he'll be able to get a drink of his own too lol, he could easily pass for 21 but I doubt Disney would serve alcohol to those with proper identification! :

From our understanding, during the off season (such as January) aren't fireworks only on display during the weekends? My birthday falls during the week.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Pluto View Post
I wasn't aware CRT was alcohol free, thanks for letting me know! While I'm not big on alcohol I did want to have a celebratory drink so I'll have to take that in consideration! My boyfriend is hoping he'll be able to get a drink of his own too lol, he could easily pass for 21 but I doubt Disney would serve alcohol to those with proper identification! :

From our understanding, during the off season (such as January) aren't fireworks only on display during the weekends? My birthday falls during the week.
We've always seen fireworks during our trips in January ~ so I'm pretty sure you should be able to see them on your trip every night. It will just be earlier in the evening (around 8)
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess

We've always seen fireworks during our trips in January ~ so I'm pretty sure you should be able to see them on your trip every night. It will just be earlier in the evening (around 8)
Fireworks are every night except for when they host Nights of Joy (not in January).
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: