Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Ideas for celebrating dd's sweet 16?

DD will be 16 in Nov. and I need some ideas for celebrating. Not sure if she wants a party, just doing something with a few friends or family. Any ideas? Wish I could take her to Disney but we are going in June.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

My parents threw me a surprise party at a local restaurant with all of my friends. It was casual but we had a blast!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Auggietina
The sky was streaked with reds, pinks, and white
I kept getting glue over EVERYTHING

My dd is turning 16 in January. She doesn't want a party. She rather us use the money and get her the watch she has been eyeing.
Auggietina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Emteach
DIS Veteran

I agree, surprise parties for a Sweet 16 would be fun. You could have at a restaurant (some I have seen do "buffets" even if they have a fixed menu) or rent a community centre or anything else she likes.
Good luck and happy sweet 16 to her!

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
StephMK
DIS Veteran

When DD & her friends turned 16, they celebrated in different ways.

-party room at the local Y with DJ
-took a few friends out of town to a concert
-dressed up & went to dinner downtown
-sleepover with Chinese buffet & ice cream - DD's party, her pick

We got the food from her fav place & set it up in the kitchen. All the girls ate in the dressed up dining room & spent the night talking & watching movies. Her group LOVES sleepovers and have them frequently.

Enjoy! Those years between 16 & 18 fly even faster if that's possible!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

My daughter would have been horrified if we did a surprise party. We asked her what she wanted. The norm here is a big party, usually catered, but not Sweet 16 big, more like a catered Shower.

My DD wanted to go to NYC with a friend. So that is what she got. We went to one Broadway show, the Ballet, and shopped. She said it was the best party/gift anyone has ever done for her.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Snowflakey
Mouseketeer

I rented 2 rooms at a mountain resort (very, very nice) and DH, myself and younger daughter stayed in one and DD and her friends in the other. It was adjoining rooms so we just kept the door open.

I arrived earlier that day and decorated the room. The resort gave the each one of the girls their own spa bags. I bought these neon flashing cups and the resort invited us down to the bar area and made virgin strawberry daquiries (sp?) for them They got to swim in their outside heated pool (it was the end of October so it was cold) plus I had a bunch of party favors made up for them.

I had a pillow case that all the girls got to write stuff on for my DD. Then I made up a sheet of "Sweet 16 Questions" about my DD for the girls to answer - the winner got a gift.

They went to the spa and got mani/pedi.

When we arrived three younger guys that park the cars greeted us and put a tiara on my DD's head. They were all blushing

It was such a memorable, wonderful time.

My youngest just turned 16 and she didn't want that. So we bought her a car
Snowflakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
marthachick
DIS Veteran

One of DS's friends (girl) did a 1970's Murder Mystery Dinner. They were assigned parts to play before the dinner and dressed in 70's clothes. MIL had bell bottoms, polyester sports coat & a filmy disco shirt with lapels to die for in her outbuilding. (She never throws anything away! ) They were served a very nice dinner in the girl's aunt's fancy dining room where the murder happened.

They had a blast & danced to 70's music in the basement with the disco ball sparkling & learned to do the hustle! I was jealous that I didn't get to go.

Offsite May 1984
Offsite January 1990
All Star Sports October 2005
POP Century December 2013
marthachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
mom2cookies
DIS Veteran

Each of my girls had a party. One was just a party with a small group of girls and a couple of close ones slept over. Next had a luau boy/girl party. And the third had a boy/girl party played games, scavenger hunt etc. ( and i will say with pride, more than one guest said it was the best party they went to) with a candy buffet. I made a multi-level super fancy cake for each girl. Only the first was a total surprise.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
CandyMouse
Mouseketeer

My DD is going to be 16 on Christmas! She just wants a few friends over at our house for a party--sleepover. She likes to play board games, wii games and have a bunch of goodies. I'll bake a few of her favorites and probably have pizza. I like the idea someone had on here about giving $10 per year for their Birthday, so I might do that! She'll love that! Good Luck! I hope somebody gives you a good idea for your DD'S Birthday!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
chepar
Mouseketeer

When my sisters and I each turned 16, my parents gave us an option. We could either have a big party at home with lots of friends or we could invite a few friends and go to a fancy restaurant for dinner (we all chose the restaurant option). At the restaurant my friends and I had a separate table from my parents (they were across the dining room). It was fun because we had an excuse to dress up and being seated at our own table was kind of a "grown up" experience. Other than paying the bill it was like we were at the restaurant on our own.

When my daughter turned 16 last year I wanted to carry on the tradition, so I gave her the same option. She chose the restaurant option and I carried it out the same way, except that I also invited my parents, siblings and their families to sit with me. My daughter and her friends were on their own table in another part of the restaurant. Oh, the other difference was that I hired a limo to pick us up and return us home - I think the kids thought the limo was the best part, though it was for purely practical purposes that I did it.
chepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

well, my plan for DD15's sweet sixteen next year (she just turned 15 two weeks ago, lol) is to rent the gym at the local methodist church (yep, they rent it out for parties), i've already got the DJ booked, so i just need food and drinks and we're good to go. not sure if we'll decorate or not-you can't really stick things to the walls (we've tried before, during upward basketball). might be able to rent a disco ball.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
rkandmjsmommy
2006: A year for letters....
A.A., RN, DVC-BCV, and a T.F.'s TAG
I never say anything tagworthy on a tag day
I still get giddy when I see neon...

DD is not a huge party person nor does she like to be around a lot of people, so we plan to take her to The Melting Pot with a friend of hers or a boyfriend if she has one, although she already told me "even if I have a bf, I am bringing a girlfriend:
Old 09-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
My daughter would have been horrified if we did a surprise party. We asked her what she wanted. The norm here is a big party, usually catered, but not Sweet 16 big, more like a catered Shower.

Mine too. When DD19 turned 16 I asked her how she wanted to celebrate. Dance party, Spa party, tea party? Nope, none of the above. She wanted a Birthday Campout for her and her 4 BFFs. So that's what we did. We took our trailer and her 8-man tent to the mountains for 3 days. They set up on a nearby campsite and had themselves a ball, only coming back to the trailer for food and drinks. One of the days we took them horseback riding. Another day we took them all shopping. Gotta love camping with teenage girls.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
cntrygal
DIS Veteran

My daughter is only 11 but is already planning what she wants to do for her 16th birthday... she wants to go to paris I dont think so, in actuallity it probably wont be much as if the rest of her plans go as she has planned she will just be started the 2nd semester of her freshman yr at Harvard as a pre med major

me
DS 22
DD 12

first trip Nov 2006 all stars music
cancelled trip nov 07 - long story
nov 08 - all stars music
Surprise BDay Trip Jan 11 - Pop
cntrygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: