Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Any Event Planning Professionals?

I'm taking a Special Events class at Clemson University, and it would be really helpful if you could answer the questions below! Thank you so much!!

What skills, talents, and experiences are needed to become a successful event leader?

How long have you been working in your field of event planning, and do you have any experiences with other areas of special events and event planning?

What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of working in event planning?

In what ways has your special event evolved over the years, and how have you adapted to these changes?

Have innovations in technology changed your event - for better or worse?

In what ways have you changed your process to adapt to new technology?

What do you believe are the greatest challenges facing event leaders in the next 10 years?

If you don't mind, I'll follow up with a PM asking you about your experience, education, and title.

Thanks again so much!

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

What type of special events are you hoping to get information on?
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Ceila
DIS Veteran

If this is an assignment for school, I would think that answers from an anonymous poster won't be acceptable. After all, anyone could say that they're an event planner, whether they really are or not. Maybe you could look online for event planning companies in your area and call one?
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

That's a long list of questions to answer...

Is this for an assignment?
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Why not pick up the phone and call local event planning companies? Or contact banquet halls and other venues that have event planners? Get out there and have a conversation.

I really weep for the future.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Thanks for your concerns -

I've already talked to event professionals in the area and a few I have contact with from other states. I just thought I could get even more diversity by going to a public forum.

I guess I was assuming that anyone who responded would have actually had to work in special events to give good feedback and that anyone who isn't really "qualified" wouldn't sit around making up stuff?

If anyone would like to help, I'm interested in responses from all areas of event planning. To throw out some examples, I've spoken to wedding planners, convention coordinators, and even a bowl game coordinator.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

Can you provide a bit more context as to why you need the information and how it will be used?
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frndshpcptn View Post
Can you provide a bit more context as to why you need the information and how it will be used?
I'm writing a paper based around these two questions -

What skills, talents, and experiences are needed to become a successful event leader?

and

What do you believe are the greatest challenges facing event leaders in the next 10 years?

I'm comparing and contrasting different professional event planner's thoughts on the future of event planning - what changes they've had to adapt to in their work, and what changes they see continuing to occur. Not only that, but what has stayed the same in their field (the title of my textbook is, Special Events and the Next Frontier, and in the introduction, the author said, "The purpose of this book isn't to prepare you for your first job - it's to prepare you for your last one.")

The conclusion I believe I'll end up coming to (though I don't want to persuade any one in their answers) is that the skills needed in event planning stay the same, but the world is changing and event planners have to adapt to and take advantage of ever-changing technology.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
I'm writing a paper based around these two questions -

and

I'm comparing and contrasting different professional event planner's thoughts on the future of event planning - what changes they've had to adapt to in their work, and what changes they see continuing to occur. Not only that, but what has stayed the same in their field (the title of my textbook is, Special Events and the Next Frontier, and in the introduction, the author said, "The purpose of this book isn't to prepare you for your first job - it's to prepare you for your last one.")

The conclusion I believe I'll end up coming to (though I don't want to persuade any one in their answers) is that the skills needed in event planning stay the same, but the world is changing and event planners have to adapt to and take advantage of ever-changing technology.
I'm sorry, but if you are planning to cite sources, and for a college-level paper you should be, you should not be using anonymous posters. No decent professor would accept that. I think you're wasting your time, when it could be better spent on finding other sources of information.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
I'm sorry, but if you are planning to cite sources, and for a college-level paper you should be, you should not be using anonymous posters. No decent professor would accept that. I think you're wasting your time, when it could be better spent on finding other sources of information.
I think you're wasting your time responding on a thread that clearly doesn't apply to you. I copied and pasted my interview questions on the thread which took less than five minutes - you're the one wasting my time.

If you want to answer the questions, I'd love feedback. If you don't, then that's fine. Let's let this thread die.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

I'm going to pass on the 'interview', though I'll give you one tip. A successful event planner has excellent people skills and the ability to handle any situation with aplomb and courtesy. 'Word of mouth' is the biggest source of new clients, make sure that 'word' is a good one.

'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
I think you're wasting your time responding on a thread that clearly doesn't apply to you. I copied and pasted my interview questions on the thread which took less than five minutes - you're the one wasting my time.

If you want to answer the questions, I'd love feedback. If you don't, then that's fine. Let's let this thread die.
Gee thanks, but no time was wasted on my end - I'm just poking around the Dis while waiting on some things to finish. You obviously didn't get the responses you were looking for, but when you post on a discussion thread you don't get to pick and choose the answers you get.

ETA: As a librarian, I got curious. And, I actually do want to help you, although I doubt you believe me at the moment. Your university library has online resources you can access as a student. Included in this is a variety of professional resources, including Event Management. If you aren't familiar with this, go to your library home page, click on the link for Cooper, click on Locate a Journal on the left-hand side, and type in Event Management. Once you enter your login information, you should be able to search for articles that relate to your topic. I am finding that more and more students, even college students, don't know how to fully utilize their library resources and databases. I do wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by Ceila; 09-25-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

OP, my husband said he will answer your questions. He just got home and is too tired to answer them tonight, can it wait until sometime tomorrow?
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
ETA: As a librarian, I got curious. And, I actually do want to help you, although I doubt you believe me at the moment. Your university library has online resources you can access as a student.
I'm actually very familiar with the library and its online resources, and thanks for helping. I'm an architecture major, so I usually use Gunnin - they have a great collection of online periodicals. I'm actually in the middle of an architectural/insect (don't ask) case study, so the libraries have been my best friend recently.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme5kids View Post
OP, my husband said he will answer your questions. He just got home and is too tired to answer them tonight, can it wait until sometime tomorrow?
Thanks so much! Definitely - whenever he has time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: