Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
janinca
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81

Getting ready to book Discovery Cove!!!

I am just about to book our trip to Discovery Cove. We have spent a lot of time thinking about this. This will be our first trip to Florida and originally we were thinking we would go to Disney World but most of my kids are not interested in going. Everybody is interesting in Discovery Cove though. At first we decided no way were we going to pay that price but now when I look at it, it seems a pretty good value when taking into consideration the other parks we can get into. We are going to get the ultimate package so we can go to Busch Gardens as well. Getting excited to actually book it but at the same time nervous to actually make that final step.
janinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Jenny3
DIS Veteran
 
Jenny3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: outside Philly
Posts: 638

Do you have an American Express card? They have a promo right now where tickets are only $189! The link is on this board somewhere.... may save you quite a bit if you have a large family!

Congrats on making the plunge! I can't wait for our trip
__________________
DD 17 DD 9 DS 3

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
janinca
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny3 View Post
Do you have an American Express card? They have a promo right now where tickets are only $189! The link is on this board somewhere.... may save you quite a bit if you have a large family!

Congrats on making the plunge! I can't wait for our trip
Thanks for the tip. I was just set to order one when I saw that the offer is only good for US residents. I am a Canadian. Oh well, it is a great deal but since I don't already have a card, not sure I could have got it in time anyway.
janinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,853

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinca View Post
I am just about to book our trip to Discovery Cove. We have spent a lot of time thinking about this. This will be our first trip to Florida and originally we were thinking we would go to Disney World but most of my kids are not interested in going. Everybody is interesting in Discovery Cove though. At first we decided no way were we going to pay that price but now when I look at it, it seems a pretty good value when taking into consideration the other parks we can get into. We are going to get the ultimate package so we can go to Busch Gardens as well. Getting excited to actually book it but at the same time nervous to actually make that final step.
Hello, fellow Canadian ,

I get the same way.....particularly when I get ready to book our flights. Once its all done, though, and the plans are "final", its soooo much fun to kick into planning gear and start counting down to an amazing vacation.

Where are you staying and when are you going? How old are your kiddos?

Discovery Cove is absolutely amazing.....we have been twice this year, once on New Years Day and once on August 29th. Check out my trip report links in my signature for lots of details and photos. In the January report, there are lots of pictures of SeaWorld, and in the August report, we visited Aquatica twice (both parks you will likely visit on your trip as well, since they are included with your DC admission). We love, love, LOVE the SeaWorld parks.....just as nice as Disney, in our opinions. SeaWorld is our favourite park in all of Orlando, and we have visited all the major ones....all 4 Disney parks, both Universal Parks, SW, DC and Aquatica.

Did you see that Dine with Shamu at SeaWorld has recently had a price drop? (there's another thread about it here on the boards). It was $49 pp, now its just $29 pp. Maybe something you might want to add on to your trip plans?

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them here on the boards as there are tons of people who can help you plan your getaway (and share in your excitement!!).
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899


Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
sympatico
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NS Canada
Posts: 3,132

Contrary to what I was told on the boards the price can/does increase as you get closer to your dates. If I had booked in Mar for our Nov trip the non-dolphin swim day was $149, I waited and it went up to $159. When I finally made the res. around the first of Sept. it was $169., so it doesn't pay to wait.
__________________
Wanda
Love vacation homes
Places we've stayed since 1997 :
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 6 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples

Last edited by sympatico; 09-27-2012 at 06:55 AM.
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
janinca
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Hello, fellow Canadian ,

I get the same way.....particularly when I get ready to book our flights. Once its all done, though, and the plans are "final", its soooo much fun to kick into planning gear and start counting down to an amazing vacation.

Where are you staying and when are you going? How old are your kiddos?

Discovery Cove is absolutely amazing.....we have been twice this year, once on New Years Day and once on August 29th. Check out my trip report links in my signature for lots of details and photos. In the January report, there are lots of pictures of SeaWorld, and in the August report, we visited Aquatica twice (both parks you will likely visit on your trip as well, since they are included with your DC admission). We love, love, LOVE the SeaWorld parks.....just as nice as Disney, in our opinions. SeaWorld is our favourite park in all of Orlando, and we have visited all the major ones....all 4 Disney parks, both Universal Parks, SW, DC and Aquatica.

Did you see that Dine with Shamu at SeaWorld has recently had a price drop? (there's another thread about it here on the boards). It was $49 pp, now its just $29 pp. Maybe something you might want to add on to your trip plans?

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them here on the boards as there are tons of people who can help you plan your getaway (and share in your excitement!!).
We are going next month!!!! We are going to stay at a friend's house which is about a half hour drive away.

I read your trip reports when I first started checking out these boards. They were very helpful and informative to me.

I noticed the Dine with Shamu price drop and have been tempted by it but we have 4 kids and it just gets so pricey even though it seems a great deal. I think we will be skipping that unfortunately. My kids are 17, 15, 13 and 11

Our plans have been kind of up in the air because of our broken down van (we are driving down) which we have finally got fixed and the fact that we haven't been sure about whether we should do Disney or Discovery Cove plus the friend we are going with had been a bit unsure about the dates he could go. I think I am going to book it today and we are going for the Ultimate Package so we can go to Busch Gardens as well. I can't wait!!!
janinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Ahtay
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7

You will NOT regret Discovery Cove! It has been the highlight, other than seeing my family of our trip! We really really want to do it again. Enjoy!!
Ahtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
natasha423
Earning My Ears
 
natasha423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 38

Question for all..


Is it smart to go to discovery cove at the end of October, for fear of weather change and rain?

What's your input?
natasha423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
janinca
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha423 View Post
Question for all..


Is it smart to go to discovery cove at the end of October, for fear of weather change and rain?

What's your input?
Wow, I hope it is good to go then as this is when we are going!!
janinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
natasha423
Earning My Ears
 
natasha423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinca

Wow, I hope it is good to go then as this is when we are going!!
I'm really eager to book, just nervous. I don't want the weather to be chilly being a water entertainment park.
Guess ill just have to bite the bullet & take the risk.
natasha423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
janinca
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha423 View Post
I'm really eager to book, just nervous. I don't want the weather to be chilly being a water entertainment park.
Guess ill just have to bite the bullet & take the risk.
I know what you mean!! I had a few people tell me this is a beautiful time of year to go and am hoping that is true.
janinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
sympatico
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NS Canada
Posts: 3,132

We've been from end of Oct - mid Nov for the last number of years and the weather has been great. Only had a couple of days in the low 70s but the rest have been 80s. We have our DC trip booked for Nov 3.
__________________
Wanda
Love vacation homes
Places we've stayed since 1997 :
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 6 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,853

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha423 View Post
Question for all..


Is it smart to go to discovery cove at the end of October, for fear of weather change and rain?

What's your input?
Our first visit was New Year's Day. We fretted about the weather and it ended up being a gorgeous, warm, perfect day.

Our second visit was August 29 (hurricane season). We fretted again....and AGAIN, it was simply beautiful.

Florida can have some mighty nice weather. October is still pretty warm so I doubt you have anything to worry about. And if it rains, you are going to be wet most of the day anyway, so unless its storming, it won't ruin your enjoyment of all the areas the park has to offer.

If its chilly, be sure to choose the wetsuit over the vest to help keep you warmer. A couple of the water attractions (specifically the lazy river and freshwater oasis) have super warm water....like taking a bath!
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899


Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Jenny3
DIS Veteran
 
Jenny3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: outside Philly
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico View Post
We've been from end of Oct - mid Nov for the last number of years and the weather has been great. Only had a couple of days in the low 70s but the rest have been 80s. We have our DC trip booked for Nov 3.
So good to hear that! We're going Nov 11th
__________________
DD 17 DD 9 DS 3

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
FaerieFire
Mouseketeer
 
FaerieFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico
We've been from end of Oct - mid Nov for the last number of years and the weather has been great. Only had a couple of days in the low 70s but the rest have been 80s. We have our DC trip booked for Nov 3.
Maybe we'll see you there. Our first DC experience is also on Nov. 3!

°o° Lace — Planning our second WDW adventure, 11/1-12 AoA-LM (Sent from my iPad using DISBoards)
__________________

ASMu-4/11, AoA-LM-11/12
Living the life!
FaerieFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.