Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #31
StephMK
DIS Veteran

You could also wrap up a case, itunes card, and docking station if you want to add more. My kids all LOVE their ipods so they would not be disappointed. We had Santa bring little stuff last year and the ipod for DD was from us.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #32
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

Got my DS10 one when he was 8 .. from us , not Santa. Santa was not getting credit for that big gift LOL ! Santa just brought a cpl of small toys and stocking that year. DS didn't notice that Santa didn't bring much .

As far as PP saying it being weird if a kid believes past first grade .. guess I have a weird kid and PROUD of it . LOL.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejack02 View Post
Got my DS10 one when he was 8 .. from us , not Santa. Santa was not getting credit for that big gift LOL ! Santa just brought a cpl of small toys and stocking that year. DS didn't notice that Santa didn't bring much .

As far as PP saying it being weird if a kid believes past first grade .. guess I have a weird kid and PROUD of it . LOL.
Same here! My DD9 still believes, as do most of her closest friends, and I think it's GREAT. I was a little shocked that we got through Cmas last year (3rd grade) without questions, because I kinda thought she'd come home from school with some, but she didn't. I want her to believe forever

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #34
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Absolutely a good idea. If she wants it and you can afford it, why not? I agree with your husband too - this is something that will be useful and get used! It's especially great for travel.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #35
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

I've done one larger gift and let the kids know that meant they would get less and they were fine with it. I think it's practical. I won't buy an ipod touch for a kid personally but I think one main gift you know they will be happy with and appreciate is fine. Ds wants his own laptop this year, he knows that may be it for him from us and is ok with that so he says but last year he wanted a few expensive things and I bought him less and then he was whining the girls opened more. I didn't give them a ton more but they did get a few extra little things to open.

So my long winded point is...do you think she will really be ok with it or is she saying that so you buy it?

Dh is the opposite of me, he thinks the more to open the better but so much of it just sits there as junk! It's a waste.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #36
D,L and K's Mom
D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful" ~ Annette Funicello~
You've been dazed and confused for too long!

Thank you!!!

Thank you all!!! I am def doing it!!! My other kids are 22 and 21...don't ask!!! LOL This was our little SURPRISE!!!!! We get a big kick out of Santa and I think this is it....last year. She is already doubting. Great idea on the case. I am telling both G-mas to go for Itunes cards . Thanks!!!!! I think older DD is getting the Ipad...Christmas/Graduation from College gift. Its going to be a high-tch Christmas!!!
D,L and K's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
BlueBeagle
Earning My Ears

All of my kids have Ipod's and they are awesome. So easy to travel with. Always check the counter at Starbucks they have cards for free apps and they don't expire for awhile. You could add those to the stocking as well.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #38
ceecee
DIS Veteran

My only concern at that age (or even older) is what they have access to on the internet. My 11 yr old niece had a lot of "problems" sticking to the verbal agreement they had, so keep an eye open and I think there are ways to block some of the stuff.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #39
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Yup, a big problem is the Internet. I have two brothers- William is 13 and pretty grown up for his age. He is always on Facebook and YouTube, not to mention awful Xbox games.

Rory is 7 and thinks his big brother is just great so wants to do all the things William does. We have a problem now with him going on YouTube where he has actually learnt swear words and rude and suggestive actions (which he has immitated to the fury of my parents).

Now, he isn't allowed on YouTube so much. The Internet is so easy to stumble across something totally inappropriate. When he does go on YouTube one of us has to supervise him. However it isn't easy and I think YouTube should be ruled out completely for children up till they can use it responsibly.

Some of the awful videos I have seen on YouTube include a lesson on swearing, a snake eating a guinea pig and a sea urchin eating a cookie lol.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #40
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeagle View Post
Always check the counter at Starbucks they have cards for free apps and they don't expire for awhile.
I'm asking for friend is this starbucks in grocery store or actual starbucks store in strip mall type place? Any other places to check out? I've never personally been in starbucks!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #41
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Check out the refurbished iPods at Apple.com. I've bought three iPods, all refurbs, and they are just like new! I bought a 3rd gen touch, 64GB for $250. I just bought DD7 a 3rd gen touch, 32GB, for $179. Worth every penny!

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #42
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'd do it. Plus you'll be set with at least one gift for every birthday and christmas - an Itunes gift card.

I'm going to be upgrading my kids Ipod touches to 32GB ones this year for christmas and giving them each a nice Itunes gift card and those will be their gifts I think.

Both of my kids have filled up their little 8GB ones and have to keep removing stuff every time they add something new.

The bonus is I'll take one of their 8GB ones so I'll finally have an Ipod touch. LOL

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #43
mymickeyfans
Mouseketeer

My 8 year old son will be getting a Touch this Christmas too. This year I think the "best" gift will be from us and not the big man in red. He can leave a few toys under the tree! I'm hoping this will actually keep my son from stealing my iphone constantly

I say go for it!!!
mymickeyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #44
BlueBeagle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
I'm asking for friend is this starbucks in grocery store or actual starbucks store in strip mall type place? Any other places to check out? I've never personally been in starbucks!!!
Any Starbucks (my favorite is the one at Target because you can get refills on hot/iced coffee or tea for 50 cents - or free if you have registered your gift card. Which you can do at any Starbucks you just can't leave the store and come back and get it. That makes refills an awesome deal at the mall or grocery store). They also have free music cards. It's just a little card holder on the counter.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #45
danygirl
Mouseketeer

I got my girls itouch's last year. Target had an awesome deal with a gift card, big discount, and a one day discount in electronics. When I stacked them I got the itouch for around $150 for each girl, and one got the high memory one.

These are an awesome gift. They can play games, they can use the camera, they can post to facebook, use googlevoice to use it as a phone, they can email and text, and so much more. plus listen to music.

because of all it can do, I would be careful with younger kids, checking on what they are doing with it, but for older kids it is just a great gift.
danygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: