Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
PrincessP
Mouseketeer

Legoland - our experience

Visited last week....our children (ages 7 and 9) really enjoyed it....as did we. It is not run as efficiently as Disney....I suggest skipping the coasters...but it's worth a visit with younger children.

Anyone planning a visit and have questions??

1977, 1982, 1989, 1992, OKW June 2002
Poly Sept 2009 - 1st trip for and with our own children!
Poly Sept 2010 - had so much fun we had to go again!
Poly Sept 2012 - another magical vacation
PrincessP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessP View Post
Visited last week....our children (ages 7 and 9) really enjoyed it....as did we. It is not run as efficiently as Disney....I suggest skipping the coasters...but it's worth a visit with younger children.

Anyone planning a visit and have questions??
Our kids are almost the same age and we'll be going in a few weeks. So my question is, why do you suggest skipping the coasters? And what is your "must not miss" rides/attractions?

Thanks!
Gina

DH me DS 10 DD 8

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I thought the coasters were great,maybe when they mention that it's not run as efficiently as Disney it might be that the lines for the coasters were long as I've heard they can be when crowds are large .When I went the only one I had to wait more than 5 minutes was the junior wood coaster which has small seats on the train so if adults are riding only one adult fits in each car.I thought the park along with the coasters are worth doing.I did go on a slow day and barely waited in line for anything,the dragon coaster was also really cool as it used to be a small roller skater coaster before Legoland took it over and they added indoor castle scenes to the ride.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
sjillett
Earning My Ears

What was traffic like on the way back to Disney? I have an ADR in Animal Kingdom at 6:15 on the day we visit Legoland, which closes at 5. Should I leave the park early or will it be no problem?
Thank you.
sjillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
PrincessP
Mouseketeer

The Dragon Coaster listed a 5 minute wait when we were there on Friday. The line we saw could well be handled in 5 - 10 min. at WDW parks so we hopped in line. 40 min. later we got on the coaster (we never waited more than 20 for anything at WDW last week). It was good...but not that good. It was not a crowded day at all...every other ride was literally no wait....just walked right on.

They have one dragon coaster that seats maybe 20 people....and we timed 4 - 5 minutes between each new group loading. That's the only reason I say skip the coasters...they are not as efficient as WDW coaster rides.

Other than that....great experience. That took a chunk of our time and we had arrived late 11am (slept in due to DS's asthma flair up)....so we had to skip some other attractions. We wanted to spend a bulk of our day at the water park portion which my children LOVED....perfect first water park experience for them at their ages.....and DH and I had a blast at it, too. So the water park would be our "not miss" suggestion if weather allows.

The driving school & boating school are fun b/c the kids get to be in charge of driving themselves...that was a treat for them. DS loved the Lost Kingdom Adventure which is similar to Buzz Lightyear ride. The minitown village is really interesting if you like Legos....we could have devoted 45 min. to an hour just looking around at that had time allowed.

It was a good experience and worth the day away b/c our children will outgrow it before we can blink!

Traffic back to WDW resort area at 5pm Legoland close time was not bad....we were just slowed b/c it was raining. It took us about 50 min. to drive there...and about an hour to 65 min. driving back due to the heavy rain. we left around 5:20 after some shopping.

Have great trips, everyone!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Is it possible the dragon coaster went down for a while,if I remember on my trip it was the fastest line of all the coasters.The longest wait we had all day when I went was the second time we rode the wave racers.40 minutes on a slow day seems like maybe the coaster had an operation issue.I preferred the two other coasters in the park the Coastersaurus and the Test Track wild mouse coaster but I was pleasantly surprised at the addition of the interior castle in the dragon coaster after having ridden that coaster back when it was Cypress Gardens when it was basically just a fair type ride. The drive back to Disney is around 45-60 minutes.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
PrincessP
Mouseketeer

No. The coaster was never down. It was running continuously. Unfortunately, running "continuously" meant waiting nearly 5 minutes for each new group of only 20 people to get their turn.

Perhaps there were just new service personnel running the coaster on our day...but it was incredibly SLOW loading.....not efficient at all. I enjoyed the interior design as well....Merlin....the huge dragon. Very cool; however, waiting 40 min. on a day when all other ride queues were non-existent....just shows how inefficient their running of it was.

We didn't even attempt the other two coasters b/c our experience with the dragon was so frustrating.

Maybe we're just spoiled by WDW's mastery of running their rides.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
mayesq
Mouseketeer

We went in August. All of the coasters were great, especially for younger kids. Not exactly thrill rides, but definitely fun. Miniland was amazing, but there isn't much shade so I don't suggest going when it is brutally hot outside. We would definitely go again.

My boys loved it.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

We went in August too. I'm glad we went but we won't be going back. My 11-year old DS loves Lego and all he liked was the store, the places were you can design things and Miniland (which was pretty awesome. My DD who is 8 enjoyed the rides. They were more her speed. It was really hot the day we went but we survived.

We had 2 buy an adult get a child free coupons. I wouldn't have been happy to pay the full price.
EEsloveDis is offline   Reply With Quote