Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #346
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Continued...

I looked at the menu but didn't have to. There was exactly one reason I wanted to try this restaurant and it's name was Tonga Toast.

Loving all the decor around here.

Our waiter was very nice and when he came over he started to recommend the tonga toast. When Johnny and I both said that was the reason we were there, he applauded and said "You've done your homework!"

When our waiter brought this over, he told us to try the strawberry compote. We did, it was yummy even all by itself!

I couldn't wait for the rest!

It seemed to take a little while but luckily we were in no rush, we were early and had the whole day ahead of us with no concrete plans until dinner. We enjoyed the atmosphere a little more.

Hidden Mickey!

Johnny enjoyed his coffee:

Aaaaand now, for the star of this post!

TONGA TOAST!

So? What was the verdict? Did it live up to the hype?

YES.

Oh my word that was one delicious breakfast. I can honestly say without a doubt, this was the best breakfast item I have ever eaten in the entirety of my life.

To all you Disers out there who recommended this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have found my true favourite breakfast.

I ate almost all which was really saying something. As we ate we noticed the restaurant getting extremely busy. It was roughly 9:30 and would have been our check in time had we not been early. Thank goodness we were!

Unfortunately this crowd meant busier waiters and we felt a little ignored. No one checked on us or asked if we needed something else to drink (which I did.) When we finally saw our waiter again he was hastily thanking us and leaving our check on the table. We felt really rushed. We settled our bill (which we paid for oop, as this was the extra meal we had booked) and were out of there.

So, what did we think all in all?

Food -- 5/5 stars. Seriously, this tonga toast made my life complete. Use the strawberry compote, not the syrup. No butter either. YUM.

Service -- 3/5 stars. And those three were for the first half of our visit before they got busy.

I highly recommend Kona for breakfast, but I also recommend you get there early.

Johnny needed a bio break so we went downstairs to find the washrooms. I took pictures.

Johnny came back and we enjoyed the lobby for another minute.

I have to admit that although the Poly is absolutely stunning, it didn't really strike me as somewhere I really needed to stay. It appears I have picky, yet simple tastes for Disney resorts. Oh well, to each their own! Someone needs to love the value resorts!

Goodbye, Polynesian. I think we'll see you again. On every single trip I take from now on. For Tonga Toast.

I'll leave you there for now since it's nearing time to turn on our printers and get ready for the day. I love this part, everything starts to whirr and hum and the door is still locked to the public!

Till next time!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #347
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Catching up! Just read your Prime Time Diner update and surprise Character meet and Greet.

What a fun (and yummy) meal to share with family! It is so much fun when everyone gets into it and you have a great cousin.

Great pictures of and with the characters! It sounds like you were recipients of "Limited Time Magic" before it became cool.

I don't think I have seen the penguins before. Love the one with Johnny and the Green Army Man. The GAMs are my favorites! I may have a secret crush on them.

on getting everyone on RNR. They may not go again, but at least they can say they tried it. RNR was my oldest son's threshold coaster. Once he conquered that, there is no ride he won't try!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #348
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Kona is my favorite breakfast at Disney. Perhaps in the whole world. But it is not the Tonga Toast that does it for me.

The Macadamia Freakin' Pineapple Pancakes are what rock my world. Although others in my family get the Tonga Toast, so I get to sample that too.

The Poly is gorgeous, and your pictures are spectacular! I'm glad you had a little time to poke around. So many fun things to look at.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #349
amazingact21
Upendi

Ahh, Kona, a personal favorite!

I'm glad you decided to try the Tonga Toast and loved it. I think that dish alone keeps guests coming back to the restaurant.

I agree with you, though, on the lack of service. I've noticed that if they are really busy, the servers take forever getting back to your table. Guess it's a common problem they have there.

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #350
jojosam
Mouseketeer

I have just spent an enjoyable morning joining you on your trip! Your photos have reminded me that on our next trip we won't focus on racing to the next ride, but we will stop to admire all that WDW has to offer. Our first trip was a mad race... our next one will be one to explore! Thank you for all the time you have put in to creating this report!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #351
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Catching up! Just read your Prime Time Diner update and surprise Character meet and Greet.

What a fun (and yummy) meal to share with family! It is so much fun when everyone gets into it and you have a great cousin.
It's a great family meal, I've heard some negative reviews about that place from people who go in small groups, twos and threes, but it seems a group always has good luck!

Great pictures of and with the characters! It sounds like you were recipients of "Limited Time Magic" before it became cool.

I don't think I have seen the penguins before. Love the one with Johnny and the Green Army Man. The GAMs are my favorites! I may have a secret crush on them.
I have never before met the GAM or the penguins, it was a great interaction for sure!

on getting everyone on RNR. They may not go again, but at least they can say they tried it. RNR was my oldest son's threshold coaster. Once he conquered that, there is no ride he won't try!
My threshold was The Hulk at Universal! I tried that and survived, I'm pretty sure I can do anything else!
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Kona is my favorite breakfast at Disney. Perhaps in the whole world. But it is not the Tonga Toast that does it for me.

The Macadamia Freakin' Pineapple Pancakes are what rock my world. Although others in my family get the Tonga Toast, so I get to sample that too.
Johnny considered those! I hate pineapple, so they weren't on my radar. I should get Johnny to try those next time (although he fell in love with the tonga toast as much as I did so he probably won't!)

The Poly is gorgeous, and your pictures are spectacular! I'm glad you had a little time to poke around. So many fun things to look at.
Thank you! The poly is really beautiful, I wasn't worried when we got there so early, I knew there would be lots to look at!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Ahh, Kona, a personal favorite!

I'm glad you decided to try the Tonga Toast and loved it. I think that dish alone keeps guests coming back to the restaurant.
Ohhhh it was sooooo good, it will keep me going back that's for sure!

I agree with you, though, on the lack of service. I've noticed that if they are really busy, the servers take forever getting back to your table. Guess it's a common problem they have there.
I was a little disappointed, but now I know how everything works I'd like to get in earlier and see if it's any better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosam View Post
I have just spent an enjoyable morning joining you on your trip! Your photos have reminded me that on our next trip we won't focus on racing to the next ride, but we will stop to admire all that WDW has to offer. Our first trip was a mad race... our next one will be one to explore! Thank you for all the time you have put in to creating this report!
Thanks for stopping in!! I really love taking time to enjoy the scenery, although sometimes I feel rushed, I think we do a reasonable job of balancing rushing and relaxing.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #352
ttcl516
Mouseketeer

Ejoying your trip report....the Tonga Toast looks Ahe May Zing!!!!

POR Riverside AB Feb 28 - Mar 7, 2013
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #353
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post

Wow - this is a GREAT shot! Everytime I try to do that with the water I end up making it look too white - too cloudlike or something. Very nice!

Back to read!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #354
MEK
DIS Veteran

So jealous of your pictures. They are all so awesome and I love how you posed that flower for your last shot. I agree that tonga toast is A-MAZING!!!!!! I had it once at 1030 and it kept me full until 7pm. How is that possible? No breakfast food ever does that!

Sorry the service got crappy. I guess the key is early or late. We went around 10:30 and it was perfect.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #355
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Once again your photos are beautiful.
And I have to say that you have convinced me to make sure we get to Kona for breakfast. Now I'm not a french toast fan because I really don't like eggs and sometimes I find it a little eggy. Did you taste a lot of egg in the Tonga Toast? I don't know it looks so good and your review makes me think I should just go for it!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #356
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wonderful pictures from the Poly

Glad you enjoyed the tonga toast and I agree with your tip about getting there early, we got pretty poor service in a busy Kona on our last breakfast visit
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #357
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Yay for Tonga Toast!!! I'm glad you enjoyed your first Poly breakfast!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #358
SimplyGoofy
"You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!" "Rat, shmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?"

Your pictures are amazing! It's especially fun to see all of your shots from AoA - that resort looks beautiful and so colorful!

I'm impressed you got your family members on the rollar coaster! Nice work.

Feb 2012 - A Savanna, A Wizard, and Oodles of Food - AKL/DxDP/WWoHP
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #359
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcl516 View Post
Ejoying your trip report....the Tonga Toast looks Ahe May Zing!!!!
Thanks! That Tonga Toast WAS amazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wow - this is a GREAT shot! Everytime I try to do that with the water I end up making it look too white - too cloudlike or something. Very nice!

Back to read!
Thanks, Mary Ellen!
If your water shots are coming out too white, you can try making your aperture smaller. If that doesn't work (i.e. on a bright sunny day, if your aperture is as small as it gets and your water is still too white) you can also use a Neutral Density filter. It darkens your picture so that you can use a slow shutter speed on a bright day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So jealous of your pictures. They are all so awesome and I love how you posed that flower for your last shot. I agree that tonga toast is A-MAZING!!!!!! I had it once at 1030 and it kept me full until 7pm. How is that possible? No breakfast food ever does that!

Sorry the service got crappy. I guess the key is early or late. We went around 10:30 and it was perfect.
Thanks again! Believe it or not, that flower was there on the stairs when we were leaving, I didn't pose it at all! It was meant to be!
I stayed full for a long time after eating the tonga toast too! Yummy yummy!
Ohhh I guess later breakfast would work too. We seemed to hit it at the beginning of the busiest time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
Once again your photos are beautiful.
And I have to say that you have convinced me to make sure we get to Kona for breakfast. Now I'm not a french toast fan because I really don't like eggs and sometimes I find it a little eggy. Did you taste a lot of egg in the Tonga Toast? I don't know it looks so good and your review makes me think I should just go for it!
Thank you!
I'm glad I convinced you. I don't know if there is any egg at all in the Tonga Toast... I didn't taste any that's for sure. It was so yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Wonderful pictures from the Poly

Glad you enjoyed the tonga toast and I agree with your tip about getting there early, we got pretty poor service in a busy Kona on our last breakfast visit
Thank you!
It was a real shame about the service because in the beginning it was excellent. Definitely a matter of them getting too busy, but you would think they would be able to plan for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Yay for Tonga Toast!!! I'm glad you enjoyed your first Poly breakfast!!!
We did! So much that we will go back again and again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGoofy View Post
Your pictures are amazing! It's especially fun to see all of your shots from AoA - that resort looks beautiful and so colorful!

I'm impressed you got your family members on the rollar coaster! Nice work.
Thanks!! AoA was really stunning, I was very impressed.
Getting everyone on RnR was a major accomplishment! I was proud!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #360
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Kona is my favorite place for breakfast in all of Disney World...just thinking about Tonga Toast and macadamia nut pancakes makes my mouth water. It's a must on every trip...Yumm-o!

Love the photos...'specially the waterfall. Do you mind if I highjack it and use it for my wallpaper? The pink hibiscus one is lovely, too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: