Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I'm here, can't wait to hear about your trip!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
teedee
DIS Veteran

I loved reading your PTR and can't wait to read your TR. We're book at AOA for the first time next June so I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the resort.

Terri
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I'm here, can't wait to hear about your trip!
Yay!! Thanks for coming! I can't wait to tell the story. In fact I'm just about to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedee View Post
I loved reading your PTR and can't wait to read your TR. We're book at AOA for the first time next June so I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the resort.

Terri
And thanks!! I loved AOA, I'll say that right off the top. I hope you will too, I plan to give a really thorough review of the place!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hello again everyone and happy weekend to you all!

Is it weird that I'm itching to dig out my Christmas ornaments already? The wonderful chilly fall air here is so refreshing and welcome, especially after a blistering hot, muggy week in Orlando. I guess it's making me feel like the holidays are approaching fast. I hate Hallowe'en so I tend to just skip right over that one.

I've been home almost a week and I'm very excited to start this Trip Report. It was a trip filled with ironic good luck and lots of fun. We had an absolute blast and it was among our best trips ever taken.

Travel days are boring (and mine are LONG) so I'm going to quickly skim through the travel to get to the good stuff.

So without further ado, may I present the report.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

It was the day I had been waiting for. It finally arrived!! The alarm was set for 4:00am. My body thought it would be nice to get up a little earlier though, just in case, so at 2:30 my eyes flew open and would not close again.
At 3 I gave up, grabbed a book and ran a nice hot bath. I soaked and steamed for an hour before getting up to rouse Johnny and get moving.
We were mostly ready the night before so we got up and got dressed, said good bye to our pups (Who were too sleepy to care) and we were on our way.
We were surprised by an unexpected rain storm, very heavy rain that we later learned actually washed out our road! We were afraid of delays or worse.
My mother drove us in. The airport was surprisingly crowded for the time of day and by the time we went through security we only had 25 or so minutes to wait. We walked out onto the tarmac and onto the plane and were really on our way! No delays!
We got to Toronto airport and got through customs and security easily. We found our gate and got a bite to eat. Before long we were boarding again. Our flight left Toronto on time and arrived 15 minutes early in Orlando.
We rode the fake monorail, got to the ME floor and breezed through, getting excitedly in the shiny new line for Art of Animation! (Shared with two others, that I was too excited to get a picture of!)

Speaking of pictures, by now I'm sure you are all wondering where are the pictures for this trip report. "Didn't she say she was some sort of photographer??" I know, I know. I'm a terribly nervous type person and I get this anxious feeling when I take my good camera out, like we're going to have to get off the plane/bus soon and I won't have time to put it away and I'll drop it and it will break and ruin my whole vacation at which time I will explode into a fire ball of doom. You know? But don't worry, the pictureless portion is over.

So when we got in the line for ME I got out my little point and shoot. Still too nervous for the SLR. I snapped a few of the waiting buses just seconds before we got on them:

We put our large carry on underneath and then we were on a bus! There were quite a few people ahead of us so we were in the very back row of seats. Not a bad choice I thought, because no more little kids could kick my back! (I may have had an annoying flight.) But things can be good in some ways and very bad in others. We'll get to that.

YAY!!!

We were quickly on our way and the driver announced that AOA would be the first stop!

We settled in and watched the welcome video and in no time at all we saw this:

So... this is about where I realized that my point and shoot was not cutting it but it was too late to grab the big baby at that point.

We made a few familiar turns and it looked like we were headed to Pop Century when we veered off course a little and I may have squealed when I saw this:

Coming up...

Why did we sit in the very back!? And what the heck is going on here!? (But at least I had the Canon out!)

Last edited by teekathepony; 04-07-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
MEK
DIS Veteran

What was going on? A mop scene outside of AoA? A running race? I give up.

Anyway - I'm glad you arrived safe and sound, despite a long travel day and getting kicked in the seat by kids.

I have totally stopped taking pictures with my real camera on travel day and now I just use my iphone for travel and restaurants pictures. It makes life so much easier.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Nice start! Seems like you got there in no time.

I am also intrigued to find out what you encountered at AoA.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
DisneyDreamerMN
DIS Veteran

YAY for an update! I am so excited for you LOL. How many total travel hours did you have to get there?

No one needs to know we are going to Disney again...right? May/June 2011 TR

HS choir trip March 1999 off site , POR April 2009, POR Nov.2009, POR Oct. 2010, WL May 2011, POP Nov. 2011
POP May 2012, WL Dec 2012, POP Oct 2013, DCL Dream Feb 2014

Old 09-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
cfw213
DIS Veteran

I'm following along! We loved art of animation, can't wait to hear what you think!!

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
What was going on? A mop scene outside of AoA? A running race? I give up.

Anyway - I'm glad you arrived safe and sound, despite a long travel day and getting kicked in the seat by kids.

I have totally stopped taking pictures with my real camera on travel day and now I just use my iphone for travel and restaurants pictures. It makes life so much easier.
Hmmm let's say it was more like a lack of something going on.
I should have just used my phone, but my little point and shoot got the job done ok. It didn't get much use this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Nice start! Seems like you got there in no time.

I am also intrigued to find out what you encountered at AoA.
In print it does seem like a short travel... hahaha oh how I wish that were true!
Like I said to MEK, it was more of what we didn't encounter that confused us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamerMN View Post
YAY for an update! I am so excited for you LOL. How many total travel hours did you have to get there?
Well, all together we left the house at 4:45am (atlantic) and arrived at AoA at about 1:30 (eastern) amounting to 10.25 hours of traveling, but actual in flight air time was about 5.5 hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfw213 View Post
I'm following along! We loved art of animation, can't wait to hear what you think!!
I jumped over to your TR too! I love reading along with people who were there the same time as me, seeing what their thoughts on weather, crowds, etc. were, so it will be very fun to read along with someone who was at the same (brand new) resort too!!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Yippee...an update! Back of the bus, huh? I have a feeling there's a story here.... (I know exactly how you feel about the camera...I'm a bit paranoid about something happening to mine, too!)
Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotAPrincess View Post
Yippee...an update! Back of the bus, huh? I have a feeling there's a story here.... (I know exactly how you feel about the camera...I'm a bit paranoid about something happening to mine, too!)

Back of the bus. It was the place to be for the most part! Let's just say I won't do it again if mine is the first stop!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
TinkandPooh
Mouseketeer

Location: CA....Never too far from the Mouse!!! When it comes to relocation if it's not near a Disney Park my husband may as well never ask because it will never happen!

Ok count me in on this report
Cant wait to see more pics and hear more about your visit.
This will help me get by unitl we arrive at AoA in late November......Im currently on the 60 day countdown

Cast Members: Me DH DD DD DD DS
Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #28
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Great update! Your reasons for not using a camera make sense. Can't wait to hear what happens!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 09-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #29
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

Checking in!

Awesome TR so far! Glad to hear your trip was great, and from the first chapter, I can see some similarities popping up between you and my fiance, who loves to take pictures as much as you do, and has the exact same reservations about whipping out her good camera...I actually may have been a little bit reading that part because it sounded exactly like my fiance.

Can't wait to read (and see) more!!!
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Writing about travel days are definitely the worst part, because it's like "I just wanted to talk about the trip!"

I don't think risking you turning into a fireball of doom would be a good idea. Good lookin' out keeping the camera put away.

Sqqquuuuuueeeee! Art of Animation!

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
My Fork and I Are Friends - Nov 14 TR
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: