Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #241
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

**Dining Review!**

We waited around, not too long (though longer than I would have thought logical as the restaurant was empty... ) and were soon seated upstairs.

Had a quick look at the menu...

But we knew what we wanted long before we got there! We had a wonderful, friendly waiter who was giving suggestions and complimenting our choices. While waiting for our food we had a good look around. I loved the theming, quite possibly more than any other restaurant I've ever been in. Our lovely waiter also told us that all the artifacts were authentic Asian statues and antiques. How gorgeous! I would have loved to smuggle some home!

So, what did we get?

Well we started with some fried green beans.

Green beans are our favourite vegetable. Ok now someone help me out here and tell me we're not the only ones nerdy enough to have a favourite vegetable? Anyway, we thought they were yummy, nice and crispy, good flavour to the breading and we liked the dip. I would give it a 4/5.

Onto the entrees! We both got the same thing -- crispy honey chicken.

So?

Well it was definitely very yummy, we liked it a lot. I might say it was a little sweet for my taste. We make an orange sesame chicken at home that we couldn't help comparing it to and we came to the conclusion that we like mine better. Again, being a good cook comes back to bite me. Having said that, the chicken was well cooked, a little crispy, tastey and there was wayyy too much of it! The rice was very good and so were the veggies on the side. Another 4/5.

And dessert?

Fried wontons.

Oh. Em. Gee. If I could snap my fingers and have these appear, I would never EVER stop eating them. True story.

I didn't eat the pineapple, but the wontons were perfect. The filling was just sweet enough without being at all too sweet, they were just crispy enough, the vanilla sauce was perfect. Seriously, the best dessert ever. 5/5. Or 6/5, if I can do that.

When we were finished and seconds before we had to be rolled out, we settled the bill with our wonderful waiter and took a few pictures on the way out.

We debated doing something else before leaving, but there was nothing else we really wanted to do. We decided to head out, get showered and ready for our evening plans.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #242
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Great update! We have never eaten at Y&Y before... It is on the girls' list for next time.

Those wontons look amazing - but I love wontons anyways... I have never had them with vanilla sauce though...

And your sesame orange chicken sounds really good...

Sigh - now I am in the mood for some good Aisian food...

D~
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #243
MEK
DIS Veteran

Your lunch looks very yummy. I think I could make a meal on the fried green beans and the fried wonton dessert. YUMMY!

You got front row of EE without even trying????? Lucky, except you rather have the back. Maybe they need a back row queue.

The park looks so pretty. Lovely pictures.

Oh - and I'm glad you didn't drown while those people wouldn't move over on Kali River Rapids!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #244
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Your meal at Y&Y looks really good!! The wontons look awesome!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #245
amazingact21
Upendi

Y&Y looks pretty good, and I love all the artifacts decorating the restaurant! The fried green beans and wontons look really yummy. And no, you're not crazy for having a favorite vegetable. I think most people have a favorite in each food group. At least, I know I do.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #246
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I glad you had a good experience at Yak and Yeti... I always hear such mixed things...

we ate there three years ago and had a good experience... and we have an ADR In a couple of weeks...so it's nice to hear a good review...

Great photos...

Sigh... I love people who think the rules/instructions aren't for them...(That means you Kali "We're the only people in the world " family)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #247
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Great update! We have never eaten at Y&Y before... It is on the girls' list for next time.

Those wontons look amazing - but I love wontons anyways... I have never had them with vanilla sauce though...

And your sesame orange chicken sounds really good...

Sigh - now I am in the mood for some good Aisian food...

D~
We had a great meal there and a really nice waiter. I'd go back! (If only for the wontons!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Your lunch looks very yummy. I think I could make a meal on the fried green beans and the fried wonton dessert. YUMMY!

You got front row of EE without even trying????? Lucky, except you rather have the back. Maybe they need a back row queue.

The park looks so pretty. Lovely pictures.

Oh - and I'm glad you didn't drown while those people wouldn't move over on Kali River Rapids!
It was very yummy, I thought of you while we were eating the green beans!
I don't think we were first row, maybe second? Still, close enough! It was ironic though, that people queue up for the front row. I should have asked someone in the back if they wanted to switch!
I thought I might get to ride Kali while IN the water clinging to the side of the boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Your meal at Y&Y looks really good!! The wontons look awesome!
Those wontons were maybe the best food I've ever eaten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Y&Y looks pretty good, and I love all the artifacts decorating the restaurant! The fried green beans and wontons look really yummy. And no, you're not crazy for having a favorite vegetable. I think most people have a favorite in each food group. At least, I know I do.
Gooood, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a favourite vegetable!
It was a beautiful restaurant in a casual, exotic way. Very nice. And definitely a yummy dinner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I glad you had a good experience at Yak and Yeti... I always hear such mixed things...

we ate there three years ago and had a good experience... and we have an ADR In a couple of weeks...so it's nice to hear a good review...

Great photos...

Sigh... I love people who think the rules/instructions aren't for them...(That means you Kali "We're the only people in the world " family)
Yes it does have some mixed reviews, I'm glad I tried it and would definitely go back for something different to eat.
I was starting to wonder if the Kali family didn't speak English, they weren't listening at all, but once on the boat they got talking... in perfect English.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #248
Kbendig
Mouseketeer

We had a family like that on Kali, sit down and strap in!! I felt bad for the CM! It was 2 adults and we managed to get in and get 3 of us strapped and they were still talking. Oh, and they were on before us! On our ride we all got soaked, there was not a dry head in the boat. I was shocked because when I rode it in 2002 I was the only one soaked, everyone else was either dry or has some sprinkles.

We have done Yak and Yeti QS last 2 trips, I love it! I originally had an ADR there for a late lunch, but the planets were not aligned for my trip and it had to be cancelled.

BTW...remember how I said my DS and DH said it was too girly to stay in the LM section? Well, DS fell in LOVE when he saw it and keeps asking if we can stay there. I showed him your pics and well, we have a mini trip planned and guess where we are going to stay?

DH
ME
DS5

Dude, Where's my Underwear TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3014168

You only have 2 years to make ADR's, an October 2014 PTR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024844
Old 11-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #249
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbendig View Post
BTW...remember how I said my DS and DH said it was too girly to stay in the LM section? Well, DS fell in LOVE when he saw it and keeps asking if we can stay there. I showed him your pics and well, we have a mini trip planned and guess where we are going to stay?

YAY! That's so exciting!! Glad I could help.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #250
SoosieQ
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review of Yak & Yeti. We had this booked for out last trip and cancelled it due to time issues. I will definitely be doing this restaurant on the next trip!

CSR- 9/2014, POP- 5/2014, POR-9/2012, POFQ- 9/2010, POFQ- 9/2009, Caribbean Beach- 12/2008, YC- 9/2007, POR- 9/2005, Contemporary- 9/2004, CSR- 9/2003,
GF- 6/2003, CBR- 5/2001,POR- 9/2000
POR- ?, POR- ?, Off-site many times
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #251
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Those stinkin' tigers are always super lazy man.

Okay, random aside here. I used to work at a ride exactly like Kali at Six Flags. Let me tell you, guests were SO IRRITATING when they wouldn't get in and move fast enough. It's like "dude! This is a flipping moving platform! Hurry it up!". I hate having to stop the turntable (as it was aptly named), in order to continue their loading.

Okay, aside done. LOL.

You are not the only ones nerdy enough to have a favorite vegetable. Mine are brussel sprouts. No, I'm not joking.

Oh. Em. Gee. Is right about the wonton! They are picked from the heavens and oh so tasty.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #252
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoosieQ View Post
Thanks for the review of Yak & Yeti. We had this booked for out last trip and cancelled it due to time issues. I will definitely be doing this restaurant on the next trip!
It was good! You should definitely do it next time, I liked it for something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Those stinkin' tigers are always super lazy man.
Twice I saw them fighting with each other, roaring and rolling down the hill! It was awesome!

Okay, random aside here. I used to work at a ride exactly like Kali at Six Flags. Let me tell you, guests were SO IRRITATING when they wouldn't get in and move fast enough. It's like "dude! This is a flipping moving platform! Hurry it up!". I hate having to stop the turntable (as it was aptly named), in order to continue their loading.
Wow, I can definitely see how that could get annoying!

Okay, aside done. LOL.

You are not the only ones nerdy enough to have a favorite vegetable. Mine are brussel sprouts. No, I'm not joking.

Oh. Em. Gee. Is right about the wonton! They are picked from the heavens and oh so tasty.
Hahahaha that's about right too!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #253
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hello again everyone! First off, Happy Thanksgiving to my friends from the USA! I hope you have a great day!

I only have time for a quick update today because I have to get ready for work (I have a late start today, 11:00) but I wanted to share a happy little life update first.

Some of you might remember in my PTR when I said I wanted to work at my old job at the camera store but the hours just weren't there for me. I even tried to get the studio busy so I could make myself a job, but unfortunately it didn't work. I had to get a job at La Senza.

Now that job was fine, it's a job afterall. Monday to Friday, weekends off, stock work so less customers, etc. My boss? She's a complete and utter nutcase with multiple personalities. She makes the girls cry on a regular basis. Her entire life revolves around selling panties and she thinks that the rest of us should feel the same way. Riiiiiight...

Two days ago my old boss from Japan Camera messaged me and told me that one of the two full time guys was leaving and he needed to replace him. He was nice enough to offer it to me first even though he knew I had a job. Well I took it in a heartbeat and the long and short of it is --

I'm back at the camera store!!!

The studio, the graphic designing, the photo restoration, working with the guys again, no more underwear... I am SO excited! I gave my two weeks notice before my shift yesterday so I'm finished in the mall on December 4th! What a fantastic early Christmas present! Granted, my boss is going to make my life a living nightmare for the next two weeks, but hey, I'll just keep counting down the days in my head and smiling. I still have to work Black Friday tomorrow which will suck, and no tax next week which will suck even more, but they would have had me working Christmas eve and boxing day and all through the holidays. My camera store shuts down for the holidays -- the owner is a family man! My boss at La Senza has no kids and no compassion. Also my camera store boss is a Disney man and always likes to chat Disney. La Senza boss thinks Disney is a waste of money.

Whew! I'm so happy I had to share with you all.

In other news...

Just 32 sleeps until Christmas!!! I started doing a very little decorating and even started some of my wrapping. Oscar, the new kitten just loves this ribbon stuff.

My parents just got back from Orlando. They had a really terrible trip unfortunately. One or the other was always sick and my dad even had to make a trip to the hospital. They had a bad meal at 50's PT, a bad meal at the Biergarten, lots of pushy people... I think it was just one of those things where if you start with a bad mind set, everything turns out badly. I think they got a few pictures which I'm going to get from them to share with you all.

Well, onto a short segue post if you will.

We had just left Animal Kingdom and headed back to our hotel.

We wandered back to our room to shower, change and get ready for our first exciting "first" of the trip!

When we came back out of our room we saw this:

Oh dear. That's very ominous.

We stopped at the concierge desk to see about booking a "Behind The Seeds Tour" at Epcot for Wednesday.

Then we went outside to catch a bus to...

When we got outside we saw that the ominous cloud had burst while we were in at the concierge desk and finished raining before we got outside. Everything was soaked but us!

We didn't wait long at all for a bus and were soon seated and on our way to the Magic Kingdom. We got there and were among the minority heading toward the entrance. It was getting late, probably about 6:30 and lots of people were leaving. The lights on Main St. were coming on and the place was glistening with wet surfaces. It was a beautiful night at Magic Kingdom.

We meandered up Main St. and veered toward Tomorrowland. This would be our final destination for the night, but we were early.

We took our time, and lots of pictures.

So what do you do when you're early in Tomorrowland?

Spend some time on an old favourite --

The Peoplemover!

We had plenty of time to spare so we just sat back, relaxed and enjoyed a view of a surprisingly empty, wet Magic Kingdom. Halfway through the ride however we stopped. No biggie, right? Rides often stop for wheelchairs to get on or something of the sort.

We waited 12 minutes and by then I was panicking that we were going to be late. Luckily the ride started moving again and when we got off, we were just in time.

So where were we headed tonight, anyway? I've given more than enough clues! Stay tuned, I think you're going to like the next update.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #254
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Yay for being back at the camera store!!! It sounds like a much better place for you to be working!!

I really wish we had stopped by AoA during our past trip - the theming there is adorable!!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #255
MEK
DIS Veteran

Wow on so many accounts!

Congratulations on going back to work at the camera store! That is so awesome! It's great to have a job doing something you are passionate about.

I love Oscar. He is just too cute!

And finally, you castle/MK pictures are so pretty. Just the perfect combo of lighting! Love them.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: