Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #226
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Well you know I love your pictures and regret that I got behind somehow with your TR. Oh crap, I'm just busy and I always seem to find your TR when I'm reading at work and well, that just won't do.

OK - explain to me how you boost the ISO. I think my ISO only goes to 1600. Is that a function of your camera or is there actually a way to boost it on any DSLR. My camera is just the base Canon rebel. I would really like to get more light in my shots like that. Thank you for listing the other settings because I know what most of those mean.

I'm going back to look at your pics again!
When I said I boost my ISO, in this situation I just meant that I turned it up. However, there is an "ISO Boost" on it too. On my T3i my ISO goes up to 6400, but there is another setting in the menu (which I have yet to try) that will boost it to 12,800. My old SLR, the Rebel XT went up to 1600, same as your Rebel and had no boost. The good news is that even with 1600 ISO, the older Canons were the best (in my opinion) for low grain. You should be able to set your ISO up to 1600, shutter speed of 1/125 or even 1/100 (no slower or you start to blur) and set your camera on shutter priority mode (Tv) so it will stay on that shutter speed no matter what. Your lens makes a big difference too. For example if you have a big lens with a max. aperture of say, f2.8, then you'll get more light in your shot (the smaller the f-number, the bigger the hole letting in the light to the sensor). The usual kit lens that comes with most SLRs, the 18-55 usually has a max aperture of 3.5, and that's only if you're zoomed all the way out to 18mm.

Am I getting too technical?

It's been a while since I got to talk cameras! I miss working at the camera store. I am available for questions always, here and Facebook! I love this stuff. I don't want to overload you with info though!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #227
MEK
DIS Veteran

Not too technical. I understand all that and I actually use those settings, although sometimes I am lazy and leave the ISO in the auto mode. I will remember to always turn it to 1600 when inside so it stays consistent.

I really would love to get a new camera with more bells and whistles, but I am determined to use this one to its best capabilities first. I still have some gaps in my knowledge. So keep talking about your settings and it makes me ask more questions and then I learn more or reaffirm what I think I already know.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #228
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not too technical. I understand all that and I actually use those settings, although sometimes I am lazy and leave the ISO in the auto mode. I will remember to always turn it to 1600 when inside so it stays consistent.

I really would love to get a new camera with more bells and whistles, but I am determined to use this one to its best capabilities first. I still have some gaps in my knowledge. So keep talking about your settings and it makes me ask more questions and then I learn more or reaffirm what I think I already know.
Excellent! Which lens are you using on your camera usually? I know you have some different ones.
The original Rebel was a great camera, no need to upgrade unless there's something specific you need it to do. Really I upgraded for the video and stills all in one body!
Maybe I'll start including some camera settings with my pictures. If you're ever interested in a specific one, just ask!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #229
Chrissi Khris
Earning My Ears

Just joinning in!
Love your photo's their amazing quality.
Love FOTLK especially the monkey on the trampolines. I always watch and think i could do that after been doing trampolining for 9 years .
Oscar looks so cute, he looks like a my cat Wesley/Wes when he was little

2002 All star Moives, 2004 All star Moives, 2005 Pop Century, 2007 All star Moives,2008 All star Music, 2009 All star Music.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #230
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Okay, I got a few updates behind. Sorry about that.

Oscar is adorable! Aaaahhhhh.....so so so so cute.

Oh, is he an instant purr? My kitty Hobbes was an instant purr. All I had to do was look at her and her motor would start going.

Hahaha, hating wildebeest due to manslaughter. Hysterical.

OMG....you got a lion roar. That's epic dude...seriously epic.

Listen, when it comes to a long hot day at the Animal Kingdom, the air conditioning at Pizzafari will always win out.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #231
MEK
DIS Veteran

I have a 18/55 that came with the camera and I have a 50/250, but the fstop is not very low. I forget the exact specs. Somewhere around 4? Does that sound right? I need to look it up. That is the lens where I cracked the rim that holds the cap on and it really drives me crazy. I may replace the lens simply because I find that very annoying.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #232
eeyore04
Mouseketeer

Wow those FOTLK pictures are stunning!

Yay for cameras being ok!

I bet pizzafari would be good... Ill put that on my lit for next time though I really wanna try flame tree.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

*NEW*My latest PTR:And it all started at 357 (days)

My first TR (which never got finished): How many times will you rain on my parade?-a wet (and sometimes funny) first ever TR
My first PTR: Does being there every day in my dreams count?
2009: POP, Sept 2012: POP, November 13-22, 2014 Pop Century
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #233
merbobear
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=teekathepony;46646816]Ohhh how exciting that you guys booked a LM room!!! I hope you love it as much as I did!

Sure thing! I basically boost my iso, my camera is pretty decent for noise on high speeds and then in my raw editor in Photoshop I reduce the noise a little further. Looks like, according to my EXIF data...

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T3i
Exposure 1/125
Aperture f/5.0
Focal Length 70 mm
ISO Speed 3200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire
Exposure Program Shutter speed priority AE
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Auto
Lens Model 18-200mm Tamron

For the dark shows (and even things most people don't think of as dark, like the safari) I often use shutter priority and boost the ISO myself. Better grain than blur!

Thank you so much for sharing that!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #234
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
To all my Canadian readers, Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

I hope you find yourselves with lots to be thankful for, I know I'm feeling extra thankful this weekend.

We left off just a mere 5 days ago, just swiping the key and opening the door to the Little Mermaid room.

So? What did we see?

Sunday September 16, 2012
"A Part of This World"

Well first off, we got our King bed request!!

I "AWWW!"'d out loud when we opened the door. How adorable is this room? I was in love with the headboard and reading light, the framed picture of Eric was so nice, the carpet was too cool.

Flounder and Sebastian were on the wall:

(Crappy phone pic!)

A Mickey was waiting for us:

So happy to have fridges in all the value resorts now:

I wandered into the bathroom and found my favourite part of the room:

The shower is Ariel's grotto! How adorable!

Didn't know they had the H2O+ stuff in the resorts now. Cool!

I was itching (almost literally) to get in the shower so I put my camera away and dug into my carry on. Got out some essentials and a change of clothes and I was off to the grotto! I may have sang Part of Your World in there a little.

When I was finished we decided to head down to get something to eat and then head out to a park!

So, what did we think of the resort and room?

*Resort Review Alert!*

First Impressions:
The resort is laid out almost exactly like Pop Century, so it certainly wasn't hard to find our way around. The themeing was excellent. A lot of people were concerned about the long walk from the Little Mermaid rooms to the busses and main building, but we found the walk not too long and so pleasant that it went by even more quickly.
Some things have changed since our last Disney stay including fridges in all value resorts -- we thought that was great, but can't deny, we missed those three extra drawers it took up. We had to hang a lot of our clothes and there weren't enough hangers. So next time, we ask for more hangers and all will be well. Also free wifi -- I thought that was great. We could use our phones (since data roaming in the States is wayyy too costly for us!) and my iPad, many people found the wifi service bad but I personally found it very good. It was a little annoying to have to agree to their policies every time I opened something on the net, but other than that, great service.
Our room was simple, but enough for our needs.
Also something I noted was that they did a good job trying to "gender neutralize" the room. Knowing that it's a Little Mermaid room sounds pretty girly, but the walls were blue, lots of Prince Eric, Triton and Ursula. Minimal Ariel.
I'll have a more in depth review of the place at the end of the report, but that was my initial impression of the room.

Continued in next post!

joining in! I see a hidden mickey in the bath-tub mural. it's in the frame

Check out my 2014 Pre-Trip Report
Wish It Was May

Check me out on Pinterest!
Luv0fDisney's Pinterest

Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #235
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

I love your FOTLK pictures. We saw it on Sunday and I can't wait to share some of my pictures. I think I may have convinced my DMIL to visit Animal Kingdom when they go to Florida in January because I was raving about FOTLK. She's a sucker for a good show!

You should try Flame Tree sometime. It's sooooo good!

I was hoping we'd get to see the lion roar on our safari, but we didn't. The giraffes were extra friendly, though!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #236
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissi Khris View Post
Just joinning in!
Love your photo's their amazing quality.
Love FOTLK especially the monkey on the trampolines. I always watch and think i could do that after been doing trampolining for 9 years .
Oscar looks so cute, he looks like a my cat Wesley/Wes when he was little
Glad to have you!
Oh wow, I've always wanted to try out jumping on a real trampoline. Looks like fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Okay, I got a few updates behind. Sorry about that.

Oscar is adorable! Aaaahhhhh.....so so so so cute.

Oh, is he an instant purr? My kitty Hobbes was an instant purr. All I had to do was look at her and her motor would start going.

Hahaha, hating wildebeest due to manslaughter. Hysterical.

OMG....you got a lion roar. That's epic dude...seriously epic.

Listen, when it comes to a long hot day at the Animal Kingdom, the air conditioning at Pizzafari will always win out.
Oscar is a funny kitty, he plays hard but when he's not distracted by a toy (or dust bunny, or dog's tail, or water dish, or ray of sunlight...) he loves to cuddle up and then he turns on the purr. He's pretty darn cute.
Those darn wildebeest. Even accessory to murder, right?
Seeing the lion roar was pretty much the highlight of my life.

Quote:
I have a 18/55 that came with the camera and I have a 50/250, but the fstop is not very low. I forget the exact specs. Somewhere around 4? Does that sound right? I need to look it up. That is the lens where I cracked the rim that holds the cap on and it really drives me crazy. I may replace the lens simply because I find that very annoying.
The zoom lenses usually don't have a large f-stop unless you spend a pretty penny on them. Of course there is the issue that when you open your aperture wide up (especially with a f2.8 lens) your depth of field gets shallow. So the tumble monkey in front might be in focus, but not Timon, you know? So there are bad points to a large aperture too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore04 View Post
Wow those FOTLK pictures are stunning!

Yay for cameras being ok!

I bet pizzafari would be good... Ill put that on my lit for next time though I really wanna try flame tree.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I wanted to try Flame Tree too, but we were so close to Pizzafari and so hungry and hot and tired... well, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
Thank you so much for sharing that!
You're welcome! I love to talk cameras, so any time you want to know what I'm using, feel free to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
joining in! I see a hidden mickey in the bath-tub mural. it's in the frame
I saw one too, but a different one!! There's a mickey watch in the jewellery. I see the one you see now too, that's cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrafter View Post
I love your FOTLK pictures. We saw it on Sunday and I can't wait to share some of my pictures. I think I may have convinced my DMIL to visit Animal Kingdom when they go to Florida in January because I was raving about FOTLK. She's a sucker for a good show!

You should try Flame Tree sometime. It's sooooo good!

I was hoping we'd get to see the lion roar on our safari, but we didn't. The giraffes were extra friendly, though!
Ohhhh I adore FOTLK, it's so awesome! I always get right into the singing part ehhehe.
Friendly giraffes are fun too! They're so beautiful!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #237
Queila
DIS Veteran

Signing up. The title of your TR drew me in. Well done.

LOVE the pictures of the room. My daughter would pretty much have a heart attack in a Little Mermaid room. So cute!

I can never sleep in on the first morning either. Too excited. Sleeping in Disney is for the weak!

OMG how cool was that that you got to see a real lion roar. What a privilege! FOTLK is one of my favorites too. It just never gets old.

Can't wait to read more.

Q
Old 11-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #238
natebenma
DIS Veteran

What incredible pictures from the FoTLK show. I can't believe how beautiful the colors you captured are.

Too bad you were not able to enjoy the music in the show because of all of the crying kids. The songs from the show are so good.

What to do while waiting for your FP? Kali or Maharajah Trail? I'm going with Kali because I want to see the spectacular pictures of the trail you are going to take with your camera when you bail it out of the locker.

More Oscar, please!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #239
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queila View Post
Signing up. The title of your TR drew me in. Well done.

LOVE the pictures of the room. My daughter would pretty much have a heart attack in a Little Mermaid room. So cute!

I can never sleep in on the first morning either. Too excited. Sleeping in Disney is for the weak!

OMG how cool was that that you got to see a real lion roar. What a privilege! FOTLK is one of my favorites too. It just never gets old.

Can't wait to read more.

Q
Glad to have you!
The Little Mermaid rooms are awesome, the whole section of the resort is gorgeous!
The lion was the highlight of my life. I keep trying to fit it into inappropriate conversations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
What incredible pictures from the FoTLK show. I can't believe how beautiful the colors you captured are.

Too bad you were not able to enjoy the music in the show because of all of the crying kids. The songs from the show are so good.

What to do while waiting for your FP? Kali or Maharajah Trail? I'm going with Kali because I want to see the spectacular pictures of the trail you are going to take with your camera when you bail it out of the locker.

More Oscar, please!
I was pleased with the pictures I got, considering how far back we were! The many, many lights in there help
I like your logical thinking about what we're doing next.
Oscar barely sits still long enough for pictures, but I want to try! He's having a serious growth spurt, he's doubled in size in the last week! I want to get lots and lots of pictures before he's not a tiny kitten anymore!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #240
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hello again! Wow, 10 days since my last update! Life got in the way. Fun news though, only 40 sleeps until Christmas! This past weekend Johnny and I put up our Christmas lights! We won't turn them on until December, but it's still fun to have them up. We've started scrubbing down the house too, we're doing one wall/floor/something every day after work so that we can hopefully get some decorating done (just a little) this weekend!

In other news, my parents are currently in Orlando and I'm burning with jealousy. They were at DHS yesterday for the festival of lights and I think they're in MK tomorrow. Maybe when they come back I'll have some pictures to share!

Also, I got my photopass CD! I'm just going to share a few favourites that we got done up to this point before I start on the actual report. There aren't too many!

Ok, on to the report!!

Monday, September 17

With our EE fastpasses in hand, we decided to exercise the cameras some more.

The plan was to go through the trail, back to the lockers, stow the cameras and get back for our fastpass. We didn't have a lot of time and I'm sorry to say we weren't in much of a mood to linger long in the trail.

Dragon!

YAY Tigers!

Not tigers...

Tigers!

And I'm sorry to say that's all I got of the tigers. They weren't moving much and the glass was getting in the way of a decent picture. Oh well, on previous trips I've had excellent luck with the tigers and none with the lion. I won't complain!

And that's all I got in the trail! All the animals were hiding or lazy. Still, no denying we had a fantastic safari so again, I won't complain.

So at this point we ran back to the locker and put our cameras away. Johnny kept his waterproof, wanting to take some wet pictures on Kali.

We got back and got in the fastpass line for EE. We had hardly any wait at all! Maybe 15 minutes, at most.

We were seated in the front, which neither of us really love. We prefer to be in the back where it's faster!

Next we went to Kali. There wasn't much wait for that at all, but while trying to load into the boat, the family in front of us took forever, wanted to sit wherever they stopped (meanwhile the CM was freaking out, "MOVE ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE WAY ACROSS!!! KEEP GOING! DON'T STOP! ") and we almost missed our boat because of it, being the last on! but we made it on, got buckled at the last possible moment and away we went.

We had a great ride! You know how usually there's that one person who gets absolutely, completely, utterly soaked? Yeah. That was me. At one point the water poured in over my lap. Enough to fill my fish tanks. At least it was a hot day!

We still had lots of time before our 4pm reservation so we road EE again. This time we were further back. I got dried off a little!

We walked back to the locker and got our stuff out. We then returned our key, got our deposit and returned to the park. We wandered slowly to Asia, getting a few PP pics on the way,

and checked in a little early for our dinner reservation at...

It was our first time ever eating here!

Cont. in next post!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: