Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #166
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaze269 View Post
So that sounds like THE perfect first day at Disney! I only wish that could be our first day, but alas, we don't have enough park days to go there on our arrival day
Aww We didn't think we would have enough either but when we added a Universal day we ended up with an extra!

That's awesome about Splash! I'm glad you took a picture of the sign though, because I didn't realize there was a lap bar! That makes me feel so much better about the ride!
Have you never done Splash!? Omg you have to! It's fun!

I also love that you guys chose to do those rides on your first day. They're pretty much exactly the same ones we would do...I love Haunted Mansion and Pirates so much...
It was the perfect way to start a trip, that's for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I am unforgiveably far behind on TRs; I just so happened to see yours and was like "Whoa, started already??" Then I come over, and you've got a TON!

I can't read now, but I'm just saving my place for later!
Hahaha I'm a fast TR writer, I think. On average anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209Disney View Post
Following along and enjoying your trip report!!
and thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Yay Splash! I don't really get not wanting to ride it in the rain, though... And yay for more FP's! You guys have been really lucky with all this pixie dust so far!
They obviously didn't want to get wet in the rain. You know.

The rest of your MK day sounds great, I love HM and Pirates, so much fun! I really need to do the Jungle Cruise on this next trip, we always always skip it!
Jungle Cruise was actually on our "Take it or Leave it" list this year, but I'm glad we did it. I feel like it wouldn't have been MK without it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
YAY for fastpass pixie dust. Sounds like a great way to start off your vacation I'll be sure to go to the right next time I ride POTC.
It was definitely the best start to a trip we've ever had.
You should definitely go right! (Unless of course everyone else is, )
Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #167
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Happy weekend!

I'm wearing Christmas socks and listening to Straight No Chaser's Christmas album. Only 65 sleeps to go! I've got a small chunk of my shopping done and have some good ideas for the rest. Yup, I've got it bad, folks!

Let's continue with the TR before Christmas talk overwhelms me, shall we?

Monday, September 17, 2012
It's a tradition with Johnny and I that has lasted through four Disney trips. This year was no exception! Here's how it goes.

We go to bed the first night completely wiped out from the long travel day and promise each other we will sleep in the next morning.

Johnny sleeps in the next morning.

I do not.

I then proceed to pace the room until I nearly go crazy, grab my phone, refill mugs and camera and proceed outside to entertain myself for an hour or so.

Well that's exactly what I did this trip, and what better when there's a beautiful brand new resort to be explored??

So here we go, my very early (5:30am) photo tour of Art of Animation.

The view from our room:

Since the sun wasn't even really up yet, these are all long exposures in semi darkness so the colours are a little funny. Very cold colours.

This picture of a balloon flying overhead will give you an idea of how dark it really was.

I've always said that despite what seems logical, everyone you encounter this early in the morning around the resort (read: pre coffee) is super friendly. I had my tripod and big camera and everyone was stopping to let me take my picture (I kindly thanked them and told them to go ahead as my pictures were taking up to 20 seconds just to expose!) and lots of friendly good mornings and hows it goings. I love waking up early and wandering around the resort.

Nemo pool!

By the time I got here it was nearing 7:00 and I knew Johnny would want me to wake him up fairly soon. We wanted to get to Animal Kingdom early since there was 8am extra magic hours!

I put away my camera and tripod and filled up our mugs with hot chocolate and trekked back to our room. The resort was getting busy with everyone waking up and getting breakfast.

I got back to the room, woke Johnny and we had a little breakfast and started getting ready for the day!

We were getting things ready and decided we were both going to take our SLRs, and we would just get a locker for when we didn't need them. I was equipped with my Tamron 18-200mm, my favourite lens! And Johnny had my Sigma 70-300, his favourite zoom for the safari!

We headed down to the bus stop and got in line. We were very close to the front so I figured a bus had just come, but we probably waited less than two minutes and we were on a bus and headed to Animal Kingdom! Lots of bus pixie dust on this trip for sure!

We're here!!

Cont. in next post!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #168
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Let the memories begin? Yes please!

Ok so first things first -- we need a locker!

Ahh. Perfect!

Found them!

We stored our bags but kept the cameras. We had a date with some lions!

But first, as usual in AK, we got distracted on our way.

OMG an ANIMAL!

Another one!

CUTE animals!

The tree of life!

Might as well duck in here!

We found a photopass photographer and took advantage. These are with my camera, didn't get our CD yet. (*hint hint* eeyore04! Get on that!)

We moved a little farther into the trails around the tree and snapped some shots of the tree and each other.

There weren't many people around, but we had to wait about 15 minutes for this one couple to give up their post at the fence to take that last shot. They were just taking thousands of pictures of each other and arms length together and would not move when they weren't taking pictures. There was a line up forming behind us so when they moved just a little to the side, I squeezed in and got my shot and then got out of the way. The people behind me moved in when I was done and the couple gave us dirty looks. Ugh. Even a trip full of pixie dust can't guarantee you don't run into THOSE types, you know?

Whatever. Off to Africa!

Pit stop to look at fish!

Did you know?
The little tiny guppy looking fish in with these big guys are mosquito fish and are just one of the many natural pesticides Disney uses in Animal Kingdom where they can not use chemicals!

Back on track!

We're eventually coming for you, yeti!

Still on track!

Safari fastpass!

And this is where I'll leave you for now. What would we do next, fastpasses in hand?? Stay tuned to find out!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #169
amazingact21
Upendi

Wow, exploring the resort at 5:30 in the morning...I've never managed to wake up that early. But I bet it was nice and quiet, which is the best time to explore a resort!

Your LK pictures made me want to stay at AoA once again! Everything just looks so colorful and detailed and awesome.

Ugh, talk about a rude couple. But unfortunately you tend to find them all over WDW. You'd think they'd be embarrassed by causing a line to form in front of a photo spot. Guess not...
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 10-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #170
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

I am the same, always up before everyone else. The resort is beautiful.

Tree of life is so cool looking. Love all the carvings. I can't believe people just don't care that they are blocking a famous view from everyone and won't move. Where is their Disney spirit.

I am guessing you went to Tusker house for breakfast? Ummmm...or went to EE?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #171
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I'm getting all excited for Christmas too!!! It feels like it's coming up super-fast this year!!

I am the EXACT same way when it comes to sleeping in in Disney. Or not sleeping in, to be exact. Great pictures around the AoA early hours! It looks like a really fun place to meander around!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #173
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Very cool pictures of AoA- I haven't seen the one of Timon, Pumba and Simba walking on the log-bridge before. Great pictures of an amazing resort!

I love to do the same thing. I am an early riser, around 5 or 5:30 every day no matter what- weekends, holidays, vacation, so I often take the early mornng photo safari and coffee run.

Good for you for making it to Animal Kingdom so early. Great pictures around the Tree of Life but I'm sorry you had to deal with the rude couple. When we were in Washington DC, when we visited the White House, there were two women just sitting along a wall in front of a prime photo location, reading magazines! Hellooooo!

Good question about what you did next. I'm guessing that early in the mornng the return time was pretty soon, so you had to do something quick and close. Hmmmm....

I'm going to go way outside the box, but inside the Tree- Tough To Be a Bug???
Old 10-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #174
debjk4
Mouseketeer

I'm having a great time reading your TR!! Can't wait for more!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #175
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful pictures... I just love the color and clarity on your ToL photos, I can't even imagine getting pictures like that... Great eye and amazing talent you have!

D~
Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #176
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

First and foremost, love your DH's Bazinga shirt! I love me some Big Bang Theory! My favorite episode is probably when Sheldon was hiding in the ball pit.

Anyway...

Disney World is so peaceful early in the AM. Unfortunately, I am NOT an early riser. I enjoy sleeping in and I can't help it!

I can't wait to see what you do next, I'm guessing you're going to go ride EE and then use your FPs for the Safari?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #177
Kbendig
Mouseketeer

OK, I have to laugh because I am reading this in POP at 5:30 am when everyone else is sleeping. Now I think I'll hop in the shower and go for a walk!

I don't understand rude people, take the pic and MOVE. Or the people who stop in front of you taking a picture and decide to have a meaningful discussion about life. REALLY???

DH
ME
DS5

Dude, Where's my Underwear TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3014168

You only have 2 years to make ADR's, an October 2014 PTR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024844
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #178
caralyn817
DIS Veteran

Just found your trip report. I can't wait to read some more. I'm loving the pics of AOA. I want to stay there someday, but would definitely have a hard time choosing which section to stay in. The Little Mermaid section looks so colorful, but my little girl would probably want to stay in The Lion King section right now, since that is her favorite movie. We leave on Thursday and I am super excited. Can't wait for more of your report.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #179
megveg
Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

just got caught up but im in! your photos are amazing! I loveeee all the early morning resort photos, I love that time

"Some days you eat the bear,
some days the bear eats you,
but always dress for the hunt!"
KUNGALOOSH!

Past Trips: 5/96' Offsite with Family
11/05' With my highschool Choir -ASMu
5/08' Graduation Trip - Shades of Green
5/09' Memorial Week Trip - Poly
October 2013: To Be Planned
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #180
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Great update and what great shots you got of the resort so early in the morning! Great camera girl! Photographer's not bad either

We found we had great bus mojo on our last trip at Pop too!!! You gotta love when you're not waiting around and wasting good WDW time!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: