Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor
I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my...displeasure."

Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth???

Anyone know anything about this program???

If you have to ask, you will never know. If you know, you need only ask. ~ Rowena Ravenclaw

Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. ~ Albus Dumbledore
N&B'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

It's been around for ages (I did it as a kid) and is very respected and legit. What type of questions do you have specifically? Has your child qualified, or are you asking about qualification?

I did a few of their one day workshops and enjoyed them. Unfortunately, their summer programs are VERY expensive, so I wasn't ever able to do any of them. One of my classmates went every summer from 7th grade through HS graduation and had amazing experiences. I also have a coworker whose daughter went to a 3 week session last summer and had fantastic things to say about it.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor
I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my...displeasure."

My DS13 had papers sent home with him yesterday from school about this, it has all the testing info.

Is the program subject specific at all? Or is it more of a general thing?

If you have to ask, you will never know. If you know, you need only ask. ~ Rowena Ravenclaw

Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. ~ Albus Dumbledore
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor

He said he was the only one in the class to get the papers. He did just take an IQ test this summer and is in the Gifted and Talented program.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

It started out as the Center for Mathematically Talented Youth. Its founder, Dr. Julian Stanley, was a respected professor of psychology at JHU. (I worked with him as an undergrad there.) It was then expanded to include more of the liberal arts as well. It is, as noted, an excellent program and the kids get a lot out of it. For some kids, it's the first time that they're in classes with kids like themselves.

Here's the website:
http://cty.jhu.edu/

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor

Thanks for the info!!! I'm definitely going to follow up on this!!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Both of my kids took the SAT in junior high and qualified for JHCTY. They have enjoyed taking the online classes.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

A lot of kids in my son's class got recruited for it but no one pursued it. The most it did for us was allow my son to take the SAT in 7th grade which was just kind of fun and interesting. That's about all anyone around here does with the program.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor

Can I ask, as far as math goes....I know my DS hasn't had all the math that he will need since he isn't in high school yet. So in my mind I keep wondering how well he could possibly do considering that!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&B'smom View Post
Can I ask, as far as math goes....I know my DS hasn't had all the math that he will need since he isn't in high school yet. So in my mind I keep wondering how well he could possibly do considering that!
For taking the SATs, his scores will be much lower than if he were a high school junior but they do give you an idea of how well he WILL do when the time comes. I remember when my son took it they said to add an average of 400 points to the total score to figure out about how they will perform as a high school senior. I can say that doesn't hold true--my son has done about 600 points better but it's still just kind of interesting.

My neighbor's daughter took the SAT in 7th grade and she scored better than my daughter did who took them when she was a junior/senior.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

You might be surprised how well your son can do. Both of my kids, who are "math/science" kids, scored around 700 on the math in 7th grade. They didn't do any prep- just showed up and took the test.

I know you can find on the JHCTY website the scoring ranges for qualification. My older one only qualified for math. My younger one qualified for math and verbal. It has been a good thing to put on applications for other summer programs.

I think it's a great experience to introduce the SAT to kids that age and see what they score. My high school junior thinks the SAT is no big deal because he first took it as a 7th grader. Been there, done that.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Your son got the invitation because he nearly-maxed out an age appropriate test (probably not the IQ test, probably your schools normal standardized testing). So now he's invited to take an above-age test, most typically the SAT for middle school kids. I remember thinking it was SO cool to take the SAT and made them much, much less intimidating when I had to take them for real in high school.

Depending on how he does on the SATs, he'll qualify for math, verbal, or both. From there, it's really up to you how much or how little he does. Like some PPs said, lots of kids who qualify just get the certificate and do nothing with the program at all. But there are some pretty awesome opportunities for smart kids if you have the time, interest, and finances to take advantage of them.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

I think I remember reading that the SATs only test through Alg II/Trig, so for a lot of advanced 7th and 8th graders, they will actually have seen most of the math on the SAT already.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...
wonder what the punishment would be for excessive burping

LOVE THIS PROGRAM!!

Oldest participated while in high school. The one summer she went to Stanford University and did a month long course in math theory.

Very well respected--ty to take advantage if
sandramaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor

Thank you all so much for the info!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: