Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Tent camping at Ft. Wilderness

We are thinking about booking a ressie at Ft. Wilderness for Spring Break. We are not new to Disney, but we've never camped before Ft. Wilderness. We have camped before as a family but not a lot.... My boys have been asking to go camping, and my husband really enjoys it too...I figured if anyone can do it right, it would be Disney and March in FL wouldn't be too bad weather wise. This is the first time we haven't booked the dining plan too... we can still add it, of course but is it necessary if we are staying at the campground?

We have requested Loop 1500. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for tent camping at Ft. Wilderness? What is it like? I'm hoping it will be a blast!

Last edited by 3smithboys; 09-26-2012 at 07:50 PM.
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

We've never used the DP, but it depends on how much you want to cook, or how much you want to free-lance your meals. We prefer to eat wherever we are at mealtime, cook at the Motorhome, or get take out at TE.
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

We tent camp at fort wilderness for the first time in may. We stayed in the 1500 loop and loved it. Make sure you get to the comfort station before 7:30am or you will wait in a line.

We had the dining plan but wished we didn't cause it made more sense to have things back at the tent and it isn't as convenent to get the refillable drink. Also they don't have a quick service at the fort. So we ending up taking the boat to the wilderness lodge to use a quick service.

We plan to bring our bikes next time cause waiting for the internal buses can be a bit of a long wait. I can see why people rent the carts but we couldn't see spending the money for a short trip.

Here is a link to my trip report. It has video of the 1500 loop, it's comfort station and trails end breakfast buffet.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2930691
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(2X), 2014
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

Last edited by ArielRae; 09-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.
ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Thanks for both of your replies and for the link to your trip report. I will make sure to get to the comfort station early; that is good advice! I would not want to wait in line!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

I would think the temperature would average about 20 degrees warmer than the weather you will be leaving so pack accordingly.

If the bathhouse is crowded, try one in a full hook-up or premium loop if there is one nearby. It is seldom very crowded in the bathhouses in the premium loops we have stayed in. I guess most people shower in their RV but I prefer to use the bathhouse.

Whether the dining plan will be useful or not really depends on your camping/touring style. How much do you plan on eating at your site vs. in the parks/other resorts? We come and go and eat a lot of our meals at our site. A lot of that back and forth is due to our needing to check on our dog though.

The park hours will be really long if you are there over Spring break so that is a consideration also.

Off site - 5/85, 1/98, 2/00ASMU - 3/02, 5/02(twice), 10/03, 12/06Ft. Wilderness Cabins - 2/03POFQ -2/03 & 12/04Camping @ FW - 11/04 & 6/08POP 11/07
AuntBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
arielmomma
DIS Veteran

We've tent camped at FW many times and will be going back in 6 weeks - Yay! We are big tent campers and FW is our favorite campground. We have been in a few different loops, but the 2000 loop is hands down our favorite. The pads are bigger, the loop tends to be quieter, and we have never had to wait for the shower at the comfort station. We have never used the dining plan while camping. We find it more convenient to eat when we are hungry or go offsite. We have a mini fridge, a microwave, a toaster oven, and a crock pot (we tent camp, but certainly don't rough it ) so I prepare most of our meals at the tent with minimal effort. We like to bring bikes or walk places rather than rent a golf cart. My kids love to have the chance to ride around when it's snowing back here in Michigan. We love tent camping at FW. It's such a relaxing environment after a busy day.

DH Me DS10ickeybar: DD7
arielmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Chynasmom
Mouseketeer

May I ask what kind of tents you tent-campers have? DH and I are looking to get into camping and are a little overwhelmed by the decisions to be made! There's just 3 of us (DD is 4), but my foggy memories of camping in high school (30 years ago) tell me that we should be looking at a 6-8 person tent to allow room for stuff. I also think I want a screen room/tent for over the picnic table, but DH gives me the What A Princess Eyeroll at that.

1997 - WL Honeymoon
2001 - BC w/DH (tagged along on business trip)

2012 - FW Cabins w/DH, DD4 & FIL
Chynasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chynasmom View Post
May I ask what kind of tents you tent-campers have?
Ok just went and looked at what tent we have and it is a Coleman Red Canyon 8 tent, 3 room, 8 person tent. It measures 10ftx17ft. This is a really great tent as we were able to fit a queen size air bed for us plus have room for our Rubbermaid drawers which had our clothes and still plenty of room to stand up in the middle and get dressed in the morning. Also a HUGE plus was one night it downpoured most of the night and we had no problems with any leaking. When I went to the comfort station that morning all I heard was about people fighting with leaks and having to run out to get tarps to put over their tents. We slept right thru with no problems.This tent would defiantly have plenty of room for your family. It even has curtains to separate the rooms.

Some tips -

You'll need someone inside the tent once you start raising it up to help keep it up and straight until it is secured. (Easy job for me while DH set the tent up)

We bought ours from amazon for a really great price. Whatever you buy I recommend checking there.
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011

Last edited by ArielRae; 09-27-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Chynasmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielRae View Post
Ok just went and looked at what tent we have and it is a Coleman Red Canyon 8 tent, 3 room, 8 person tent. It measures 10ftx17ft. This is a really great tent as we were able to fit a queen size air bed for us plus have room for our Rubbermaid drawers which had our clothes and still plenty of room to stand up in the middle and get dressed in the morning. Also a HUGE plus was one night it downpoured most of the night and we had no problems with any leaking. When I went to the comfort station that morning all I heard was about people fighting with leaks and having to run out to get tarps to put over their tents. We slept right thru with no problems.This tent would defiantly have plenty of room for your family. It even has curtains to separate the rooms.

Some tips -

You'll need someone inside the tent once you start raising it up to help keep it up and straight until it is secured. (Easy job for me while DH set the tent up)

We bought ours from amazon for a really great price. Whatever you buy I recommend checking there.
Thanks!

1997 - WL Honeymoon
2001 - BC w/DH (tagged along on business trip)

2012 - FW Cabins w/DH, DD4 & FIL
Chynasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

We are thinking of tenting but I have a question about security. If you are in a tent, what do you do with valuables? Obviously you do not have a wall safe, so do you just carry everything with you all the time? Does anyone know if there is any problem with theft?

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
StarWarts
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chynasmom View Post
May I ask what kind of tents you tent-campers have? DH and I are looking to get into camping and are a little overwhelmed by the decisions to be made! There's just 3 of us (DD is 4), but my foggy memories of camping in high school (30 years ago) tell me that we should be looking at a 6-8 person tent to allow room for stuff. I also think I want a screen room/tent for over the picnic table, but DH gives me the What A Princess Eyeroll at that.
Check out your local Dicks Sporting Goods. I just got a Eureka Copper Canyon 8 person cabin tent for $250. This tent cost $380 at our local REI store. Also, this tent has lifetime warranty.
StarWarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent53 View Post
We are thinking of tenting but I have a question about security. If you are in a tent, what do you do with valuables? Obviously you do not have a wall safe, so do you just carry everything with you all the time? Does anyone know if there is any problem with theft?
We drove down so anything that we considered quite valuable we locked in the car out of sight. We also brought a small luggage lock to lock the door flap to our tent. Of course if someone really wanted to get into the tent they can easily with a small knife but the luggage lock as my DH likes to say is to keep honest people honest. They can't easily slip in, it would take a little more effort with the lock on and that might make them move on to the next tent.
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011

Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent53 View Post
We have always locked everything in the car that was of value...
Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

I guess my next question is how far of a walk is 1500 from transportation? Will we need to bike or rent a golf cart? I would rather avoid taking the internal transportation, if possible... I'm assuming that it is time consuming? Is that true? If we rent a golf cart, do people use that to ride to the main transportation area and then leave it to go to the parks or do they just use it to go around Ft. Wilderness? If they leave it while at the parks, where are the golf carts left?

Thanks!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

The 1500 loop is pretty far from the park buses. I wouldn't walk to them tho you can walk to them along the sidewalks. We plan on bringing our bikes next time. The plus side of 1500 is that it is a smaller loop and it is nice and close to the pool and the store.

The carts are used to get to bus transportation and to other areas of the campground. They have special parking areas where you can park them and plug them in to charge while your gone enjoying the parks. They are both in the front of the campground and over at the settlement when you catch the boat to MK.
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: