Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
Karenj2
Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!

I am certainly a planner like you, and hate it when my carefully laid plans get nit picked by the peanut gallery... However, sometimes it works out for the better.

Case(s) in point: we went with friends this past march, and less than a week before we left, the wife decided that she didn't want to do CRT for dinner the day we arrived because it was a waste of a park day... (Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!). So, DH, DD & I went by ourselves & had a blast. On another day, we were supposed to eat a CS meal (we were on the dining plan), but the wife was PG and wanted a nice sit down dinner. We were in the MK and it was 5pm when she decided that. So, I called while standing at the carousel and ended up getting a reservation at Morocco. Can I tell you that that was our favorite meal of the entire trip??

So, as much as you might want to smack them in the head, you should try to accommodate where possible...
03/1983 wdw Poly | 03/1992? wdw Offsite | 03/1993 wdw Poly | 05/1996 wdw WL | 01/2001 wdw CS | 04/2001 dl day trip | 08/2002 dcl/wdw | 2003-2004 in Dec/Jan dl day trips w/ BIL | 9/2006 wdw PC | 8/2007 wdw PC | 8/2008 wdw AS Sports | 8/2009 wdw BC | 1/2011 wdw Poly, DH ran 1/2 marathon | 3/2012 wdw PC w/ friends | 2/2013 dl day trip| 9/2014 wdw AKLV w/ friends! 4 adults, 1 4yo and 2 sets of 1yo Twins! CRAZY!!

Karenj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

You have to be careful when planning for a trip with other people. It is their vacation too and you don't want them to feel like they just being dragged along on your trip.

I can understand not being able to just pop over to DTD, but you can't have every hour on the day planned out either.

Once you are there, things don't always go as planned. Maybe there's a long wait for a table (even with an ADR), or the meet and greet line is longer than you expected, you have to be prepared to be flexible. Its the only way for everyone to have a good time.

I went on one trip where someone planned everything out. It was miserable. It seemed like sticking to the plan was more of what the trip was about than having fun.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
garjanjones
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLepard View Post
Sorry

Let them switch the ressies

Sure you can, have a good time... I will be right here

My thoughts exactly!
garjanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
5stljayhawks
Rock Chawk Jayhawk

OP dudette -

You got a plan, if they want to move away from it fine. You best set expectation before you go down, that you ALL are not parking together and that it is OK to do your own thing. Keep in mind with ADR - if you have already paid with CC for character meals, either drop them or make sure they understand they are on the hook.......

We went with another fam, and ended up doing own thing. It's cool but just say so ahead of time and make sure they get it...
2/10 – CSR (Wife works and I Fish/Golf) 12/10 – FW Christmas D7.83,S5,D2.99.
10/12 - Halloween/MMNSSP Cruise /Art of Anim & Poly (DD9.51,DS6.96,DD4.79

3/14 Wife & Daughter work@ CSR
6/14 Family @ FW DD11,DS8.23DD6.45
[/SIZE]
5stljayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #35
Cynt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy View Post
i have a rule when traveling with family/friends. This vacation belongs to you. We have our plans and you can have yours. Hopefully we can meet for a meal or two. I refuse to wait on someone. I make ressies. If they show up great, if not... Oh well. I feel your pain but make this a lesson learned. extra people on a vacation are simply that, extra!:thumbsup2 good luck
this!!
April 2011 - POP - Girl's Getway
May 2013 - WBC - FAMILY TRIP!!
Cynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #36
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

OP- I would not worry about it. Your IL's just don't understand but they will as soon as they get there.

I would tell them that you have your plans in place for meals which really cannot be change. It they want to make changes to the other plans they can but that you want them to at least wait until they arrive.

As a person who had not see Disney for almost 20 years I was shocked when I saw Orlando, never mind Disney. I only saw a glimpse that time, I was visiting relatives and only got to DTD and DHS. DH almost fainted when he saw all of what we were telling him. No more "suggestions" from him after that. No more thinking our advance planning was silly. Anyway, I understand why your IL's think they can dart around. Don't worry, there will be no more talk of changing after you all get there
Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #37
Seany
Earning My Ears

Nancyg56 ... I think that is the best reply on the thread. If it is IL's and DH first trip to WDW then they mightn't understand the planning you have done, and maybe wont understand why. They will understand once they get in the parks. I appreciate the frustrations of those who have planned a holiday down to the finer details, only to be questioned last minute, but as others have said it's a holiday. 4 days prior to leaving I wont be phoning trying to alte ADR's, I wont be changing my mind to spend the day of MNSSHP at MK, or Universal's Halloween night at Universal because it logistically makes no sense to, but other days are very flexible.

I think whilst visiting WDW can take the planning of a military exercise, we need to remember that it isn't one, it's a holiday and by sticking rigidly to 'best laid plans' not only can others resent us planners, we can also have our holiday ruined by chasing up the rest of our party constantly to fit a schedule.

Seany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #38
polly p
dvc member

It's difficult when your family changes your "plans". This has happened to me multiple times. Sometimes it is for the best. Once my husband told me to throw the itinerary away...he was right, I had way too much planned for the trip. Just recently though I spent a year planning our hawaii trip and one of the days of our trip, the kids and DH all wanted to do different things then what we had planned before we left home. I just had a melt down. Couldn't help it, probably too tired. Family caved and we had a wonderful day.
Go with the flow if you can, change when you can and bring on the tears if you need to
Disneyland 1980 DixieLandings 1999 AS Movies 2001 VWL 2003 AKL 4/2006 DCL Magic western 4/8/2006 VWL 2/15/08 SSR 2/2010 AS Sports 5/2010 BCV 8/2010 BWV 8/2010 BWV 10/13/2011 Aulani 12/2011 AKV 10/2012 BLT 2/2013
polly p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #39
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

It's funny, my DH, who thought that I was a crazy woman before we took that family trip,is the the first to tell anyone who is planning a trip to PLAN.

For those of us who had only our limited experience of those long ago days when you arrived at one of two resorts, spoke to the concierge who then booked your meals..........and there were not many to pick from................ and then headed to the MK for a day or two and 1/2 in what there was of Epcot, well you just don't know. That's why I would just cut the IL's some slack, smile and agree to discuss it once you all get settled in. If they are like DH and I they will just be along for the ride and grateful they had the OP to plan

They will have a blast enjoying the kids and thrilled that the OP invested the time she did to give them all a stressfree trip.

On our last day of that first trip back DH told me he was glad I planned and that every penny spent was well worth it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: