Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #106
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

Elem school is 7:40 until 2:30

Middle and High is 8:05 until 3:20

Our district shares buses through out, so our elem bus pick up would be 6:35am, Middle and HS pick up about 7:15-7:30.

Elem bus drop off is approx 2:45-2:50 and Middle and HS is about 4m
Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #107
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybug View Post
Did you choose to put them into 3 different schools? My two were in two different (charter) schools in CA because there wasn't one good school that had room for both. It was a pain at times.
It was not my choice to have kids at 3 different schools - it has just worked out that way, based on what was best for each of them. So far it hasn't been too bad though.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #108
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
Maybe its just me but I thought my high school was the biggest waste of time ever. I still think my high school was the biggest waste of time ever actually. (Oh and I graduated at the top of my class so it wasn't that I just didn't care to learn, no I learned it all and still spent most of my time bored)

I didn't have homework at all unless for the first 3 years I had to type something. In senior year they tried giving all the IT students PDA's to be familiar with other technologies... I brought a keyboard to go with it so that I could then even do assignments that needed to be typed in class. I would do homework for my classes in my other classes and then still end up just sitting there staring at the walls because I ran out of homework before I ran out of dead time in classes. Most of the time the teacher would stop teaching half way through class and either have us do the homework or we would just end up sitting there... I was so thankful for that PDA senior year (it had games on it so I wasn't bored to death). (Honestly this is why I think many teachers are lazy, it was my experience in high school that most were, I mean if you could teach all the class in 20 min instead of 45 why weren't you teacher twice as much stuff?)

But if I was going to be playing games or just sitting around why not do that at home... or even better let me decide what to do with that time I could have pursued other interests, worked more, etc. But no someone decided I had to sit in school that long. Why should they then make this 2 hours LONGER. Now if they were going to start teaching for all the time I was in school maybe but I highly doubt that is going to happen.

College was awesome then when the teacher ran out of stuff to teach half way through class they would let you leave. Finish your test early? Your free to go. I didn't spend time just sitting around I spent the days in class learning.
This sounds like a real problem with your school, not with h.s. in general.

My high school had plenty of homework, all the time, teachers that certainly taught the entire class (and were usually still talking when the clock ran out), and who all ran clubs and stuff after school that related to their academic expertise and otherwise, and had good attendance.

It was challenging and engaging. That's how most high schools I'm familiar with today are as well.

Lazy, unengaged teachers wouldn't last a week. The kids themselves would complain, heh.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #109
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

DD18 is a senior in High School, and her school starts at 8:15 and releases at 3:15; 7 50-minute class periods and a 40-minute lunch. She drives herself and leaves home at about 7:45 AM (depending on weather/road conditions) and gets home at about 3:30 PM.

The other 2 DDs attend a K-8th grade rural school, and they get on the bus at 8 AM and off the bus at 4 PM. I think their actual school day runs from 8:25 AM to 3:25 PM.

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #110
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

High school began at 8:05am and ended at 3:05pm.

Initially, the bus schedule wasn't bad. She had to get on the bus at 7:30am and she'd be home by 3:45pm.

Then to save money, they consolidated stops and routes and she would have been spending an hour each way on the bus (to go about an 8 minute drive), plus the bus stop (which was in the opposite direction from the school) was quite the walk on a steep hill without a sidewalk. We were not comfortable with her walking on that road in the winter. At that point, I was able to reorganize my schedule so I could drive her to school in the morning en route to work and most days she walked to my work (mid way between school and home) after school. (On bad weather days, I took my break while picking her up.)
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #111
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Our elem school day is 7:50-2:30. We're in the walk zone so most days our kids would be out of the house from 7:40-2:40 give or take

Middle school is in session 8:10-3:10. DD walks to the bus stop at 7:30 and the bus drives by in the afternoon around 3:35

High school has 7 50-minute class periods plus lunch. Runs 8:45-3:50. DS drives himself now, but when he took the bus he'd leave around 8am and get home around 4:20

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #112
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaB View Post
I've always wondered how US school buses work (not literally... I sort of get that!).

Do they have a pre-set route and you have to go to the nearest stop to your house or do they add a stop near you when your child joins a school?

Quite often on US TV programmes the bus seems to literally stop outside a child's house - is that right? That could make the journey to school really long in more rural areas?

Also - for those of you whose child's scool day ends really early in the afternoon - what do you do if you work? Are there after-school clubs there?

Just curious!
We're in a rural area, and the buses stop at every house. We don't have any students who walk home - very few are picked up by parents.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #113
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaB View Post
I've always wondered how US school buses work (not literally... I sort of get that!).

Do they have a pre-set route and you have to go to the nearest stop to your house or do they add a stop near you when your child joins a school?

Quite often on US TV programmes the bus seems to literally stop outside a child's house - is that right? That could make the journey to school really long in more rural areas?

Also - for those of you whose child's scool day ends really early in the afternoon - what do you do if you work? Are there after-school clubs there?

Just curious!
We live in a subdivision (neighborhood of houses all clustered together with two entrance/exit roads). The bus that runs through here goes up and down the streets and stops about every 6 houses. The kids go to the nearest stop, and they all have to wait on the right-hand side of the road so they don't have to cross the street to get on the bus when it stops.

In more rural areas, buses either stop right at the child's house (if no one else is nearby AND the child lives on a main road) or stops at a bus stop (usually a little shelter there to stay out of the weather) if it's more out-of-the-way. If that's the case, the parents have to take responsibility to get the kids to the bus stop, or the kids have to walk.

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #114
ajlsjl
Mouseketeer

K-3 Elementary schools in my district (there are 5): 9:15AM-3:30PM.
4-5 Elementary school: 8:30AM-2:45PM
Middle schools (there are 2): 7:35AM-2:05PM.
High school: 7:35AM-2:05PM.
ajlsjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #115
HamTown
Friend of the Banned

Monkeybug, I read your posts and thought "she's talking about Westside!"

You can probably look at my user name and tell we spent time in IOW. My kids went to Hardy and then my son had 2 years at Westside before we moved away. We lived right in town so my K-3 kids weren't on the bus for very long.

But I really hated how late the kids were getting home. DS's last year at WSES, his bus would have gotten him home at 4:40. We ended up having him get off at a stop downtown and walk about 1/4 mile home. He then arrived just after 4. It was truly ridiculous.

We loved Smithfield and IOW. I hear the JRB has been a real pain the last few weeks. I don't miss that at all!
HamTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #116
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna-like-Banana View Post
Our district shares buses through out
Two differences here.

1) School buses went away 5 years ago (except for handicapped students).

2) Schools went open enrollment here at least 15 years go. Kids going to the neighborhood schools are the exception, not the rule. Not uncommon to have a kid live 2 blocks from a school but attend a school 10 miles away.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: