Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #31
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
When I was in elementary school and got home really late like that I did all my homework on the bus so I still had time to do things.
That's what I told my kids to do, but they are not allowed to do homework on the bus! How crazy is that?
I have a friend whose child is in the same county but different school and they aren't even allowed to read on the bus. Nice.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #32
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
Our middle school is 8:10 am to 2:50 pm. The HS is 7:17 am to 2:05 pm...strange times, I know.
I miss Maryland schools!!! We had 8:10 to 2:50 when we were there to and it worked really well for us. Plus Maryland schools are so excellent!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #33
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Elem and Middle School (all one building) 7:50am-3:05pm
High School 7:45am-3pm

Kids get on the bus at 7:05am and get off in the afternoon at 3:30.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Both my kids went to private school for elementary school (in California), class was from 8 am to 4 pm. 30 minutes for lunch. 2 15 minute recesses, one in the morning, one in the afternoon.
They offered before and after school care, opened at 6 am and closed at 6 pm. They went with the 8 to 4 instruction day because all the students were there by 8 and there after 4 for before and after school care, so they decided to go with the longer school day.
Was tight at the end of the day for Little League and Soccer because all the public school kids were out earlier..........coaches wanted them there at 4pm, but had to allow the private school kids some slack since school wasn't out until 4.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #35
monkeybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Both my kids went to private school for elementary school (in California), class was from 8 am to 4 pm. 30 minutes for lunch. 2 15 minute recesses, one in the morning, one in the afternoon.
They offered before and after school care, opened at 6 am and closed at 6 pm. They went with the 8 to 4 instruction day because all the students were there by 8 and there after 4 for before and after school care, so they decided to go with the longer school day.
Was tight at the end of the day for Little League and Soccer because all the public school kids were out earlier..........coaches wanted them there at 4pm, but had to allow the private school kids some slack since school wasn't out until 4.
Wow! That is a really long day!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #36
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Elementary- 8:00-2:40 on the bus at 7:30 home by 3:00
Middle school is the same schedule
High school 7:17-1:40 on the bus at 6:20 home by 2:00.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #37
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Elementary - 9:10 - 4:10 bus comes at 8:50
Middle 7:15 - 2:15 bus comes at 6:50
High - 7:15 - 2:15
Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
katlas&kids
Sometimes I have to work hard to keep my jaw in the right place

I'll welcome you to Virginia, let you know I am in Hampton, down in the SE corner of the state.

Here they switch from using city busses for the older kids to school buses in the last 2 yearsor so.
Elementary goes earliest cause they can still use day care.
Their day is 7:30 - 2ish.

Middle School goes last cause they are to old for day care & they hope it helps keep them out of trouble.
8:50 - 3:55

High school:
8:20 - 3:06

katlas&kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
monkeybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlas&kids View Post
I'll welcome you to Virginia, let you know I am in Hampton, down in the SE corner of the state.

Here they switch from using city busses for the older kids to school buses in the last 2 yearsor so.
Elementary goes earliest cause they can still use day care.
Their day is 7:30 - 2ish.

Middle School goes last cause they are to old for day care & they hope it helps keep them out of trouble.
8:50 - 3:55

High school:
8:20 - 3:06
I'm just across the bridge from you in the Carrollton/Smithfield area!
We LOVE Virginia so far...all except the long school days, the heat, and the mosquitos that is. These last few beautiful days have sort of made up for all that stuff though!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybug View Post
That's what I told my kids to do, but they are not allowed to do homework on the bus! How crazy is that?
I have a friend whose child is in the same county but different school and they aren't even allowed to read on the bus. Nice.
Ok that is ridiculous I would be contacting the school on why that policy is in place.

As a kid I so would have been doing my homework anyway though. the bus seats are high so unless your school actually has supervision on the buses (mine didn't) how is the bus driving going to tell I'm doing homework?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #41
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

The Elementary Schools here are 8:50-3:35. Bus times vary, of course.
Middle Schools are 7:50-2:35.
High School is 8:10-3:04 or some strange time!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #42
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

This thread is really interesting to me. I like seeing how different states or districts do their school days. The school where I taught (5th and 6th grade) started at 8:20 and dismissed at 3:40.

I am interested in everyone's responses on what they feel is an acceptable amount of time during the day. I have been on other messages boards where people have talked about extending both the school day and the school year. Some have discussed how much better it would be for the school day to be similar to the working day and have students there from 8-5. They would have more time for subjects and it would be easier for working parents to pick them up and drop them off. Would anyone here be in favor of such a change?

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #43
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
This thread is really interesting to me. I like seeing how different states or districts do their school days. The school where I taught (5th and 6th grade) started at 8:20 and dismissed at 3:40.

I am interested in everyone's responses on what they feel is an acceptable amount of time during the day. I have been on other messages boards where people have talked about extending both the school day and the school year. Some have discussed how much better it would be for the school day to be similar to the working day and have students there from 8-5. They would have more time for subjects and it would be easier for working parents to pick them up and drop them off. Would anyone here be in favor of such a change?
Only if kids got MUCH MUCH MUCH less homework as in almost none at all.

Because yes I work 40 hours a week, but I'm not bringing work home and going above that every week. I do sometimes yes but not every week. If students had homework and that kind of schedule they would be working more then their parents.

So I would say a school that did that should have no worksheets etc sent home and only homework would be when they have big reports/projects.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #44
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:

My kids are in from 8 until 4:30. Class ends at 3 but I use the aftercare program and so they're there 1 1/2 hours longer. I thought it would be good because she could get her homework done there and then be free when she got home, but it turns out that in the structure of aftercare, they have "recess" first and then snack, and are just getting to doing their homework when I show up. So she usually does it at home, with me.

I have always worried about my kids having a "too-long day", but they never want to leave. They're social and they love it. I guess it's boring at home with mom. I'm thrilled and insulted at the same time.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #45
monkeybug

Quote:

Well, obviously not me, lol!
I can see how that would be advantageous for some working parents, but I think it would be a disadvantage to most children. We have good friends who are Finnish, their schools are considered the best in the world, and she says they spend much less time in school than our kids in America do. I don't think more time in school equals a better education necessarily. Play time is very important for the development of critical thinking skills.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: