Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
tmclanton
Mouseketeer

Book through travel agent?

I have put down a deposit for my Dream cruise in March! I booked through the Disney website. Is there an advantage to booking through a travel agent? If so, can a transfer my reservation to them or would I have to cancel my reservation and have them book it?

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL
2008 WL- Mother and Son Christmas Trip
2013 40th Birthday Magic Cruise

tmclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Kaizen
Forever Disney

The TA also gives on board credit.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclanton View Post
I have put down a deposit for my Dream cruise in March! I booked through the Disney website. Is there an advantage to booking through a travel agent? If so, can a transfer my reservation to them or would I have to cancel my reservation and have them book it?
Yes, there are some advantages of booking with a TA. There are also some disadvantages.

PROS: Many TAs offer onboard credit, which is always nice! They also may be able to watch for and apply and discounts to your reservation IF and WHEN they become available for you, so they might save you a little that way. Some offer perks like gifts, some have extensive knowledge of Disney/DCL that may prove invaluable - like where to stay, how to get from A to B, excursion information, etc. It's important to know what the TA offers you, because they can be FABULOUS (like mine! ) or a total FLOP (like the one who USED to be mine...)

CONS: If your reservation is held by a TA, you will not be able to make changes to the reservation yourself - like name changes, stateroom changes, date changes. Major things MUST go through your TA. Also, payments will have to be processed through your TA as well - BE SURE that you use a reputable TA. Your payments should go to Disney - there have been some not-so-reputable TAs who took payments and never applied them to the actual reservation. My payments, for example, even though they're made through my TA, ALWAYS read "Disney" (in whatever way) on my card statements. That's not to say you won't be able to reserve your own excursions, Palo, etc. - you certainly still can! - but most modifications will require the TA.

Yes, you can transfer the reservation to a TA at this point, or any point up until paid in full. However, the onboard credit usually will be less for a transferred reservation, because the TA's commission is reduced. Check with the TA you are considering to see how much they can offer for a transferred reservation versus a new booking.

Also yes, you could always cancel and re-book through the TA. This will get you the full amount of their OBC, but it is important to note that if you selected a specific room, you do run the risk of losing it. So if that secret verandah was the whole reason you booked, don't give it up for a couple extra bucks!

Hope that helps.

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I think if you go through the web site here (Dreams Unlimited) they can transfer your info. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I went through them and am very happy so far. I get an on board credit (you can see the amount via the web site), and the charges still come from Disney. Not that there is anything wrong with a regular TA. I'm sure they might be more personable, just make sure they are legit.

And I can still book my excursions and extras (cabanas, Palo, etc) myself. (Though I think you can still do that with any TA...not sure).
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Yes, you can transfer the reservation to a TA IF you have not paid in full. You can also cancel and rebook the reservation. This option would give the TA the full commission and allow them to give you their "full" amount of any perk you may receive from them.

The above posts did a good job of discussing the pros and cons of using a TA. Honestly, when using a good one who responds to you promptly, knows Disney and DCL inside out, etc. I don't see any negatives. A bad TA is just a pain, regardless of any OBC or other perk.

What I'd look for--someone who has been ON the ships in the last couple of years, particularly on the class that I'm cruising. Someone who has been to the training that Disney provides to TAs. Someone who communicates the way I wish, whether that is an 800 number, e-mail, snail mail, etc. Personally, I like to talk to them before the booking so they understand what I want; after that, e-mail works most of the time. I like an agency that has "extended hours," not just 9-5 and that has an emergency number in the event that something comes up while I'm traveling. I like a full service agency--one that will help with air, hotels, insurance, etc. beyond the options Disney/DCL provides.

Remember that you are hiring both the agent and the agency; make sure you are comfortable with both.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: