Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
shortbun
Peacenik

Lactose intolerant. Hate Activia. If I need anything, I increase my fluid intake and take some acidopholus while gradually increasing my fiber intake. I rarely need any assistance in this area and I sure wouldn't be taking in tons of dairy product to settle my system, regardless of what else was in it.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I'll never forget my Activia "experience."

I heard that it helps with IBS issues, of course, it never really says what types of IBS issues. I can occasionally get the IBS of the "D" variety if you catch my drift. So, I thought I try some Activia to regulate things. Oh boy. Within one day of drinking it I was in the bathroom FIVE times that day. I had to immediately stop. Not fun. The stuff had a serious laxative effect on me. Now, I eat regular yogurt all the time--no problems. But the Activia (just two small bottles) caused a serious problem. There's something not right in that stuff.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

As soon as you add fruit and sugar to yogurt you take away the good bacteria. If you really want to add the good bacterie to your diet eat plain yogurt with nothing in it or take a pill.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Or you could be me and shocked into menopause in which my hormones are causing all kind of crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
Hehehe, and that was just the last 30 seconds, right?
Yes, this was me the last 2 days having periomenopause symptoms right when I have my period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
It's easier just to take a probiotic and be done with it. No need to deliver it through yogurt.
Seriously! I can't imagine needing to "take" 3 yogurts a day.

Oh, and another little FYI on class action lawsuits, in case people who bought those Sketchers Shape-Up sneakers haven't heard, there is a class action law suit against them for claiming the sneakers have more benefits then they really do. If you still have your receipt or proof of sale, you can probably still get in on the law suit. Google for details.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

My gastro prescribed VSL#3 probiotic. He scoffed at Activia. VSL#3 is horribly expensive at $90.00 a bottle (otc, so no insurance coverage), but then 3 Activia's a day adds up too.

Would much rather take a pill than all the calories in 3 Activias.

The only person Activia has benefited is Jamie Lee Curtis.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

The Activia controversy is in Canada. And I point that out because, for two countries that border each other, the U.S. and Canadian governments come to wildly different conclusions on what is healthy to eat.

The U.S. banned cyclamates (for you kids, that was the artifical sweetener in all soft drinks at the time ) in 1969 because it was felt that they posed such a huge cancer risk...yet in Canada cyclamates are still legal to this day.

And the vegetable protein in the vegeterian foods made by Qorn as legal in the U.S., and in Canada, the government says it isn't fit for human consumption.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
My gastro prescribed VSL#3 probiotic. He scoffed at Activia. VSL#3 is horribly expensive at $90.00 a bottle (otc, so no insurance coverage), but then 3 Activia's a day adds up too.

The only person Activia has benefited is Jamie Lee Curtis.
My daughter's gastro swears by Activia. And it solved her problem.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
My daughter's gastro swears by Activia. And it solved her problem.
Your daughter needs a new gastro
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

Actually whats in Activa that "regulates" your digestive system are varieties of Lactobacilisus-they are your normal intestinal floral that you tend to kill over time by eating too much sugar ( there is sugar in most packaged foods including mayo, salad dressing, ect and low fat anything almost always has a ton of sugar in it because fat is a flavor carrier and food producers replace it with sugar to make things taste good.) and taking antibiotics. You can replace it with out eating yogurt-which, unless you are eating plain yogurt has sugar in it -and is an aggrivation for people who are lactose intoleratant-and with out taking probiotics. Lacto fermented foods like homemade sourkraut, crocked pickles ( brined not canned in vinager) and kimchi ( again fermented and cold stored, not canned) have tons of lacto bacillis and can heal intestinatal issues and relieve systems of IBS. and for the poster who said Activia upset her worse, going from one extreme to the other can be as bad as having no intestinal floral. You kind of have to work up to it. Personally ive never eaten Activia-i eat plan home cultured and strained yogurt pretty much everyday tho.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
descovy
DIS Veteran

Haha.. If it doesn't work, I am more likely to use it!

When I buy yogurt at home I get yo plait or Dannon. The thought of a yogurt that makes you poo icks me out.

But every time we are at a hotel free breakfast, there is that Activia yogurt. I love yogurt, but I refuse to try it and need to GO during a road trip.

So if it doesn't work... Yay I might try it sometime!
descovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Lactose intolerant. Hate Activia. If I need anything, I increase my fluid intake and take some acidopholus while gradually increasing my fiber intake. I rarely need any assistance in this area and I sure wouldn't be taking in tons of dairy product to settle my system, regardless of what else was in it.
I've been lactose intolerant since birth, and have never had a problem with yogurt... Most of the lactose in yogurt has already been metabolized by the bacteria, so you shouldn't have any issues with it, unless there is something else in it that you may react to.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #27
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
I've been lactose intolerant since birth, and have never had a problem with yogurt... Most of the lactose in yogurt has already been metabolized by the bacteria, so you shouldn't have any issues with it, unless there is something else in it that you may react to.
THis is my son. I didn't know that about yogurt and we were gradually working him up to try different things. He was tolerating some new things like gold fish so we decided to try yogurt. WEll it didn't go very well, 3 hours later it was coming back up. My per said he was more than lactose intolerant because of what you said, there isn't any lactose in yogurt because of the cultures in it. People look at me like I am crazy and that my pediatrician must be wrong. Glad to hear you say that also.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #28
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post

If your GI doctor writes you a letter explaining why he has "prescribed" this for you, you can deduct it from your FSA account. I do this with the Align that I take. I have a letter than says its medically necessary for treatment of my IBS and to help prevent C Diff relapse. Check with your insurance company. I have Aetna and they allow this.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #29
proud_canadian
DIS Veteran

I'm starting to wonder now if the yogurt is having a placebo effect for me. I actually have IBS-D too, but I do seem to be better when I have 2 or 3 per day.

I hate taking them though as we don't have very man flavours in Canada and I am sick of eating that much.

I want to try align but agent heard many positive reports, and if the yogurt is working I don't wan to mess with it.
proud_canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #30
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I'm amazed by this thread - who knew advertising worked this well? Though I suppose the ads wouldn't still be on and so focused on message if it didn't, but dang.

It's just crap sugar yogurt.

I too am weirded out by people referring to eating yogurt as "taking" as if it's medicinal.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: