Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
royal99
Earning My Ears

Whens old enough??

Hi

After visiting the great orlando over many years my last visit was 3 years back and I am itching to get back. Although now I have my own little family its going be a few yeas until I do return as I want them to be old enough to appreciate the whole thing.

So question for people with kids what age do you think is the youngest you and your children can get something out of an orlando holiday. I know of two people that have taken them at 1 and 18 months and actually wished their had held off for a year or two, but i have read others on here who have had successful trips of little ones below 2?

Interested to hear your experiences and if you made right choice or wished you had held off a little?
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

The 1st time we went the boys were 2 and 4 and when we go on Friday they will be 14 and 16 and still very much enjoying it.

When they were young our trips were structured differently to the trips now. DH and I are fairly laid back so when the kids were small we used buggies and let the boys sleep in them when they wanted to and all our home routine was set aside.

I would say they certainly enjoyed themselves as we have many photos of them smiling and laughing and lots of video of them interacting with the characters and just enjoying the little things like playing in the water spout areas. Having said that how much of that time they remember I wouldn't like to say but DH and I have enjoyed having the holidays with them and experiencing Disney with them differently as they grow up.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Started taking our Son aged 3, now just gone 18. In between he has been 27 times. There were many things for him to do at all ages, I wouldn't hesitate taking any aged child.
If it was a once in a life time trip and no chance of ever returning then I don't know, that would be very difficult to say.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek

Last edited by wayneg; 09-26-2012 at 11:56 AM.
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I suspect you will get all kinds of different answers here. We didn't take our DS until he was 6 - for us, that was the age that we felt he was up to being out of his routine, could cope with the long flight and would be up to staying up a bit later at night. He did cope very well (better than I expected) and it was a great age for him in terms of character interaction and enjoyment of the parks. That's not to say it's the ideal age but it was the right age for him.

I think it all really depedns on how well youre child/ren will adjust to changes in routine, the journey, being in the parks for long hours and all sorts of other considerations. Also, how well you as parents will cope. For us, going while Daniel was still in nappies was never an option. We wanted as little to worry about as possible in terms of additional paraphernalia. Everyone is different - every child and every parent. You can only really judge for yourself.

Wayne is right, though, when he says that there really is something for every age.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

We decided to take ours for the first time this year - they will be 12, 8 and 5. I think there will be something for all of them to enjoy. Up until this year, we have taken our Disney fix at DLP. For us this is the trip of a lifetime, so I wanted all of them to be old enough to remember it.

I am already thinking that in another 3/4 years, they will all be old enough to enjoy the other Florida parks like Universal....
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
london75
DIS Veteran

Both of ours went before 9 months and again before 2 and loved it. It is a different trip and I'd only recommend if you plan on going back at least a couple more times.

If for some bonkers reason you only plan 1 dream trip ever ever then wait.

I would say my 6 year old is well aware that the cinderella isn't the real cinderella which doesn't compare to the magic when she was 4 and thought they were all real!! For that reason I wouldn't leave it too late, there is so much to do even without the bigger rides.
london75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

We took DD when she was 22 months.

But stayed in a villa and had a very relaxed holiday.

Did MK, MVMCP partyx 2, beach, bok tower and kennedy space centre, Celebration and shopping.

We have lovely memories and photos/video (DD also came down with chickenpox and we had to stay an extra week!)

We used to go to Florida before DD and knew we would be back - DD is 6 and next month will be her 6th trip. If it was a once in a lifetime trip doing all the parks then I would have waited til she was older.
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
luke
Señor Mejor

We are takin our son on a cruise and wdw stay next Easter when he will be 9 months

Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

We took our eldest DD for the first time when she was 18 months and then our youngest DD had her first trip when she was 6 months. They obviously don't remember the trips, but they both got a lot out of the experiences as far as their brains being stimulated and had advanced so much in such a short period of time. We also have great photos of them growing up at the parks!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
misspickle
Mouseketeer

first time i took my boys they were 14mths and 6 years old the 14 mth had a ball! your experiencing a totally different kind of holiday if you know what i mean.
It was nice to take him back when he was 6 he loved every minute of it, it was like he had never been
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

I agree with everything Wilma said - it depends on the child and the parents

We took DD for the first time age 9 months and like a lot of the other kids on here has now clocked a fair few airmiles When we go in December DD will be 4 1/2 and it will be her 9th visit.

We don't regret any of them and she has had a different experience every time. As a baby she was very laid back had no issues with being out of routine or the late nights as long as she had her naps.

Even this year when she had just had her 4th birthday still no issues around routines or late nights even when she missed her naps! She is a great traveller and loves people - a lot of which I am sure is to do with her coming to Disney with us.

At no time was it ever a consideration not to take her - we need our family time and Florida is the only place we want to go

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

I agree if you're only planning on going the once I'd leave it until they can remember it.

If not then any age! My two eldest first went at 6 and 3. This was the perfect age for us as they both were completely in awe of everything, believed the magic, believed the characters were real and it was so magical.

Now the older two are 9 and 6 and again it's the perfect age, they get to go on the 'big' rides they didn't get to last time, experience more things than they could last time, swim with dolphins etc. I will also have a 23 month old going on his first trip. Our next trip will probably be when they are 12, 9 and 5 and again that will be the perfect age for a whole load of other reasons :D

Unless you're only going the once I don't like the argument that they won't remember it so it's pointless taking them before the age of 7 ish. My 23 month old won't remember anything we do now, reading books, going to the park, playing in the bath etc that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, or that he won't enjoy it.

He won't remember this trip but this won't be his last and he will be in sheer awe like my older two on their first trip and the lights and colours and atmosphere.

There is something to do for any age from baby to elderly, it's down to choice and opportunity when and how often you go :D

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

I plan on taking my 3 month old next year when she will be 15 months old. I have no idea what it will be like or if it is a good age to take her. Part of the reason i plan on going next year is my other daughter will be 11 and growing up and want a trip before she's a teenager. I hope to go again when she is 4 though.
wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
We took DD when she was 22 months.

But stayed in a villa and had a very relaxed holiday.

Did MK, MVMCP partyx 2, beach, bok tower and kennedy space centre, Celebration and shopping.

We have lovely memories and photos/video (DD also came down with chickenpox and we had to stay an extra week!)

We used to go to Florida before DD and knew we would be back - DD is 6 and next month will be her 6th trip. If it was a once in a lifetime trip doing all the parks then I would have waited til she was older.
We're in a villa too this year to make it easier on my 23 month old and so we have more privacy, and of course our own pool! :D

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
royal99
Earning My Ears

Great reply's everyone, think the plan would definitely be that it wont be a once in a lifetime so as you said any age would be great just a different experience. Also seems for the early ages villas get a big vote ( shame the mother sold hers :-()

Think we would take grandparents so the big rides could be done. Remind me is it both disney and universal that do baby swap?
royal99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: