Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
connie1042
DIS Veteran

Armed Forces Vacation Club.

Has anyone used this in Orlando and where did you stay. Seriously thinking about using this next fall. We always stay on site and use the dinning plan, so this would be a lot different. Just husband and I. Usually spend a day in Cocoa Beach. We like on site, because if I want to go shopping , hubby can just stay back and relax. Help me think this would be better. Want to be close to restaurants.
connie1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

We've used getravelop.com rather than that one. It seems to have more options. I've also found skyauction to be cheaper. We've stayed at orbit one, summerbay, cypress point, Sheraton vistana resort, grand villas, orange lake, and parkway. Each had positives and negatives. we wouldn't avoid any of them.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
mbethel
Mouseketeer

We used it in Feb for a 2br at Bonnet Creek and were SO happy with that! DH loved the location and would love to stay there all the time! We have used it for a few other places but you can't beat being in the middle of Disney property. Haven't stayed at Silver Lake for years but would definitely put it high on the list for the location. We got a 3br at HGVC at I-drive one year, very last minute and that property was gorgeous but some of the traffic was a pain to get through. It really just depends on when you go as to the availability you will find.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

I believe the Armed Forces Vacation Club site and getravelop.com are exactly the same. Every time I have done a search for a particular time frame, both sites have the exact same options.
We used AFVC in May to go to Bonnet Creek. We actually booked last September and were able to get five units for a large family reunion. Loved it! This year, I'm finding there is very little availability for the nicer resorts like Bonnet Creek, and it's usually only available through High Demand (more money). Seems there is always availability at some of the older "resorts" which appear to be converted apartment complexes or motels. I've seen lots of availability for Summer Bay and Silver lake, but often last minute or just for a one-bedroom unit. Other people seem to be having better luck with this than I am, it may just be that you have to check the site frequently.
infopurposesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Spanky
Mouseketeer

Just curious - if you are using the Armed Forces Vacation Club then why don't you stay at Shades of Green? Of course it is a hotel and not a condo so the layout is much smaller but it is right in the middle of the Magic Kingdom area of WDW. Bigger rooms than the Polynesian Resort but 1/3 the price. It is a great property if you qualify to stay there.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at Shades of Green several times and it is lovely, lots of advantages being on property, so close to the monorail, etc. My family will stay there for short visits, however we find we really need a full kitchen for longer visits. Also helps to have two bedrooms and bathrooms. A week through Armed Forces Vacation Club is also a lot less expensive than SOG.
infopurposesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
momto2js
DIS Veteran

We have used afvc to book whyndam cypres palms a couple of times and were happy with it. Nothing is to far away.
momto2js is offline   Reply With Quote