Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #76
Aneille
I am still looking for mafia members
And why don't boys play ringette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
Out of curiosity..have you spoken to the cafeteria manager about the milk and the gluten issue? I know our district and my Moms the cafeteria managers work with parents who have children with dietary needs and will make exceptions for them whenever and wherever possible..like if that means allowing the milk. I am guessing you have based on your comment but just thought I would ask. I know they have always been really open in working with parents to do what they can for the kids.

Yeah the shelf stable milk can be costly..is it an option to buy it and send it in a chilled thermos for her instead (not trying to be pushy..just not sure if you have those options). The shelf stable milk in larger sizes might be cheaper and she can take an individual serving each day in a thermos instead.
Yes I did speak to the manager. She is very helpful and very nice and has been able to get gluten free pizza for my child but she can't change the milk issue for next year.

This year my 4th and 5th grader can purchase a chocolate milk a la carte. My 1st grader can not purchase chocolate milk at all.

Next year my 2 oldest will not be able to purchase chocolate milk unless they purchase the lunch but they can purchase skim milk a la carte. I have not made a big issue out of it since it will happen next year and honestly I am not a pushy person. I'll just take care of my own kids.

My oldest isn't very picky about most things thankfully which helped going gluten free but she really dislikes milk. The only milk she will drink is chocolate and not a lot of it. She can't finish a large chocolate milk, those 6 or 8 oz. boxes are perfect.

She is also slightly vitamin D deficient so although thats not the only way to get vitamin D and I don't even know if its the best way, its one way to get a bit more in her.

I know she will have a choice to either drink the white or nothing but it just stinks.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #77
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneille View Post
Yes I did speak to the manager. She is very helpful and very nice and has been able to get gluten free pizza for my child but she can't change the milk issue for next year.

This year my 4th and 5th grader can purchase a chocolate milk a la carte. My 1st grader can not purchase chocolate milk at all.

Next year my 2 oldest will not be able to purchase chocolate milk unless they purchase the lunch but they can purchase skim milk a la carte. I have not made a big issue out of it since it will happen next year and honestly I am not a pushy person. I'll just take care of my own kids.

My oldest isn't very picky about most things thankfully which helped going gluten free but she really dislikes milk. The only milk she will drink is chocolate and not a lot of it. She can't finish a large chocolate milk, those 6 or 8 oz. boxes are perfect.

She is also slightly vitamin D deficient so although thats not the only way to get vitamin D and I don't even know if its the best way, its one way to get a bit more in her.

I know she will have a choice to either drink the white or nothing but it just stinks.
Bummer that is how they are working that.

Out of curiosity..will she eat mushrooms? They are a great source of Vit D (not that it addresses the milk issue but they might help the deficiency). I believe sweet potatoes and eggs (yolk) contain some (not super high) Vit D as well.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #78
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This whole milk thing makes no sense. I have no idea why the school would do that. Seems like no rhyme or reason. Why would it matter if you got lunch or not; it shouldn't.

Vitamin D is a tough one but the following are foods that have it...not sure with gluten which she can actually have: eggs (it's in the yolk), a lot of yogurts are fortified with Vitamin D as are margines such as Country Crock, Orange Juice, swordfish, salmon, tuna and you can also put 1 T of cod liver oil in some of her food.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #79
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

Maybe it's just where I grew up but WHEN did schools start serving lunch? I grew up in the 80's and there wasn't "school lunch" until High School. K-8 you had to brown bag it. And we didn't even have a cafeteria, you ate at your desk.

The only thing you could get from the school was milk. Your mom sent you in with money every quarter and you'd get milk tickets. Every day you'd hand in a ticket and get your milk. But it was optional, you could just bring milk from home in a Thermos, or no milk at all if that's what you wanted.

The school I'll be sending LO to (if we don't move and if we don't do private) has school lunches. Last I looked on their website, I think I'll be sending her in with a brown bag like I had growing up. Even homemade PB&J has to be healthier than some of the stuff I saw on their menu. For sure it would be better tasting!

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #80
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymae1121 View Post
Maybe it's just where I grew up but WHEN did schools start serving lunch? I grew up in the 80's and there wasn't "school lunch" until High School. K-8 you had to brown bag it. And we didn't even have a cafeteria, you ate at your desk.

The only thing you could get from the school was milk. Your mom sent you in with money every quarter and you'd get milk tickets. Every day you'd hand in a ticket and get your milk. But it was optional, you could just bring milk from home in a Thermos, or no milk at all if that's what you wanted.

The school I'll be sending LO to (if we don't move and if we don't do private) has school lunches. Last I looked on their website, I think I'll be sending her in with a brown bag like I had growing up. Even homemade PB&J has to be healthier than some of the stuff I saw on their menu. For sure it would be better tasting!
I graduated in 1981 and our schools always served lunch, I didn't know there were schools that didn't.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #81
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I graduated in 1981 and our schools always served lunch, I didn't know there were schools that didn't.
Not too far behind you and my schools were the same. I went to school in MA so maybe it is a regional thing??? I remember getting excited looking at the menu. I would buy for pizza and chicken patties.
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #82
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Not too far behind you and my schools were the same. I went to school in MA so maybe it is a regional thing??? I remember getting excited looking at the menu. I would buy for pizza and chicken patties.
Yep same here, oh and those nasty things they called hamburgers, can't believe I actually ate them. Oh and let's see so, far, DS, has had an Almond bar, Greek yogurt with granola and is now working on a single serve container of Bob Evans mac N Cheese that I bought for them to snack on before they headed out to their individual sporting activities. We don't get to eat dinner until fairly late. Not much of a fruit guy, except for cantaloup, watermelon, sometimes apples and peaches, loves strawberries and most other berries. The yogurt did have blue berries. WE haven't even begun to talk about dinner. I need to take out a loan in order to feed him.

Last edited by mhsjax; 09-26-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #83
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymae1121

I also grew up in the 80's and we had school lunch k-12.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #84
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My big complaint is that next year my children can not purchase a chocolate milk because it is no longer on the al a carte menu. If they buy lunch, they can have a chocolate milk.
My oldest can't purchase lunch because she has a celiac disease.

My petty complaint of the day.

I don't know exactly how much my kids eat when at school, but I do know I feed them a huge second lunch when they get home.
Find out if your DD has a friend that buys lunch and normally drinks white milk. Get that friend to grab chocolate milk, your DD grab white, then switch when they get to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
So you feed them a 2nd lunch and then proceed to feed them dinner a few hours later? I can't see why a "huge 2nd lunch" could possibly be needed when dinner would likely be served within a few hours of returning home (here kids get out at 3:30..we eat dinner by 5:30-6pm at the latest Maybe I am misunderstanding your school start/lunch/stop and dinner times?
DD15 eats multipule meals a day. She has something before she leaves at 6:45 in the morning. She eats lunch at 10:30. Her 1st class after lunch is Dance I, so most of what she just ate gets burned off right away. After school, 2:30 release time, she has marching band from 2:45 until 5-5:30ish. She will scarf down cheese and ham/turkey cracker sandwiches in the 15 minutes she has to get to the band room, changed and be on the practice field. On monday, tuesday, and wed after band, she goes to the dance studio, for 3 hrs, 2.5 hours, and 45 minutes. On monday and tuesday, she does eat, yet again, in the car on the way to the studio. On wed, she has a 3 hour break between band and dance, so she just eats a normal dinner on that night before going to dance. But monday and tuesday, she's not home to eat dinner until 9:30 and 9:00. She doesn't get to eat anything heavy or greasy on those nights. And thrusday and friday nights and competition saturdays, you don't want to know how and when those kids get to squeeze in eating.

And oh yea, she's 5'7, 130 lbs and solid muscle. She needs every single on of the meals that she is eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I have this same vent - no meal, no milk. I have one with celiac, so of course she never buys. It would be nice to send her in with some gf cereal, and have her be able to at least buy milk. There is no milk for sale in the elementary school.
That just blows my mind. So, if you brown bag your lunch, you can't purchase a cold milk to drink?? Even back when I was in school, you could buy as many milks as you wanted for a 10-15 cents each, now they are a quarter each. DS17 drinks 2 milks almost every day at lunch. Buying just milk is an option in all of our schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Wait until your kids are teens. You'll have mutiny on your hands if you limit their food. My dd is 13 and a string bean but she can out eat me and sometimes even dh. I agree with limiting junk but when she's hungry she's free to eat almost anything. I believe in teaching kids to read their own cues when it comes to what their bodies need. Controlling doesn't work in the long run Imo.
There are times when I would swear both of my kids have hallow legs they are trying to fill up. I can't keep up with their intake. Then a couple of months later, they have slowed back down. And I can track it by what their current activities are. DS intake jumps way up during marching band season. For DD, she is more year round, as she dances 10 months out the year. By adding marching band this year, she didn't have a slack off time this summer. She's actually eating more, but wearing the smaller sizes in her jeans.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #85
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Graduated high school in 2002 and we had school lunches K-12.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #86
leebee
DIS Veteran

Graduated from high school in 1974 (so started 1st grade in 1962) and they always served hot lunch at school. They were usually pretty good- and everything was cooked right there in the kitchen, freshly made every day.

I can't abide whole wheat anything. It gives me the most horrendous heartburn, so unfortunately no school lunches for me anymore. That's OK, the prices on the teacher lunches are three times what the kids pay... way cheaper to bring leftovers from home, or Lean Cuisines!

Last edited by leebee; 09-26-2012 at 06:37 PM.
leebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #87
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I started Kinder in 1980 and there were school lunches even then.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #88
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Graduated 86 and we had cafeteria's starting in middle school, 6th grade. Before that, we didn't have cafeteria's in grade school, but we did have a lunch room.

But even with out a cafeteria in grade school, you could still buy a lunch from the school. The grade school lunches, and ever still to this day, are all made at the nutrition center, packaged up and shipped off to each school. You got a hot and cold pack with each meal. One of the first things we did each day, was take a count on how many kids were going to eat a school lunch that day, so the order could be sent over to them.

Also, you could order extra meals. For whatever reason we had, the pizza they served was the BOMB to us kids. If it was pizza day, it wasn't unsusal for kids to order 2 to 3 hot packs, we love the stuff that much. The pizza today, neither of my kids would touch with a 10 foot pole.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #89
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

This is not directed toward anyone here but I just wanted to mention that just because someone is thin does not mean they are healthy. I have one family member that is super thin but very unhealthy. They eat nothing but carbs all day, no fruits, veggies, protein (well maybe a little). Cereal, pasta, bagels, pizza is about all they eat.

That was a great idea the PP posted about trying to switch milks with another student. Seems foolish to even have to do that though.
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #90
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
This is not directed toward anyone here but I just wanted to mention that just because someone is thin does not mean they are healthy. I have one family member that is super thin but very unhealthy. They eat nothing but carbs all day, no fruits, veggies, protein (well maybe a little). Cereal, pasta, bagels, pizza is about all they eat.

That was a great idea the PP posted about trying to switch milks with another student. Seems foolish to even have to do that though.
We had friends, a couple, both tiny and young. Loved red meat, didn't eat veggies, unless you count a baked potato loaded. They went to give blood, their cholesterol was through the roof.

I am the exact opposite, I am chunky, but my blood work is fantastic. Go figure. But I love all food, junk and healthy. I do eat mostly healthy, just too much of it. But I am working on it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: