Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #46
Coconut36
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
There is a happy medium between "crap" and tofu, though you for some reason seem to be fixated on the incorrect notion that everyone feeds their children "crap".
I don't think it's incorrect at all.

Again..have you or anyone else actually looked at the standards? This is not cruelty..it's simply giving them a well balanced meal. I don't see the need for a "happy medium" I suppose because no matter how you slice it..crap is crap and isn't needed in a school lunch and kids will indeed survive with a increase in veggies and fruits and a limit on fats and calories.

That's really all this is doing..it is stating that NO a 6 year old should not be eating 800 calories at lunch. That no a child should not have a meal that is full of fat/trans fat or carbs/sugars. That kids don't need 6 nuggets or 4 fish sticks. That they don't need the high carb white roll. Really what is such a huge deal about it? I just do not get the horror and uproar that they dare make an attempt for kids to eat healthier and more well rounded meals.

Parents have been griping about the "crap" of school lunches for YEARS yet now that they take steps to remove the mac and cheese and hamburgers they are all up in arms? Come on..no kid will die due to an increase in veggies and fruits, a decrease in fats/sodium/sugar and reasonable portion sizes and caloric intake. In fact they might actually be healthier. You might slowly start to see less and less 8 year olds with big giant bellies or kids who are obese (and I am under no illusions school lunches will fix all of that but I can't see how it can have anything but a positive impact on nutrition and weight).

Why does there have to be a "compromise" in this? Why is it a problem to limit calories, fats, sugars and increase things like veggies and fruits and whole grains? The issue with parents comes in because Susie doesn't like carrots and doesn't want to eat them..thus the lunch is "bad" vs telling Susie to pick a different fruit or veggie and eat well. What should she be given instead of the fresh carrots or fresh fruits? This is why it goes back to crap..if an increase in veggies and fruits and a decrease in fats is a problem then what are people advocating for other than crap?
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #47
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
So what is the solution? Do we decide having full bellies is worth serving junk/kid food without regard to calories or nutrition? Or do we keep offering healthy meals and trust that kids will eventually try some of these "weird" (different) items rather than go hungry?
The solution is for parents to be responsible for what their child eats, not the school. If your kid is still hungry because the school lunch isn't enough or they are throwing half the stuff away, then pack what they will eat. If your kid will only eat ho-hos and cool ranch doritos (my HS lunch choice ) then pack them a bag full of that stuff. Don't complain about the choice the school is giving your kids if you yourself aren't giving them one too.
I'm all for healthy options and I think the school has a responsibility to offer those, however if you as a parent don't like it, then you are free to take care of your child's lunch needs/wants yourself
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #48
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneille View Post
Oh and my big complaint....

Changing the food isn't the only answer. They need to educate the kids on healthy food choices. Telling them a few times isn't good enough either. They need to put into practice with food logs etc and help them understand good food choices.

But that will not happen in most schools as it will take away valuable time away from reading, math etc..

So I don't see this as really helping anything. Its a band aid.
There are two separate issues here...

The first is how involved and influential schools can be in nutrition education. Budget and time constraints limit how much effort can be put in on that count, and the counter-influence many kids are receiving at home limit the effectiveness. It would be nice if schools could reach kids and really change their habits but I don't see much support for the idea that it is even possible, never mind the debate over whether or not it is desirable to have them do what is traditionally a parental duty.

The second is what kind of food our tax dollars should buy. Remember, even "full price" school lunches are subsidized, and many of the children who eat hot lunch on a daily basis do so because they qualify for free or reduced price meals. Even if healthier lunches aren't changing lives, it makes sense to expect that the resources spent on the lunch program be used for something a little better/more healthful than the chicken nuggets, french fries, and peaches canned in corn syrup that have been lunchroom staples for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
To those moms who have children who can't buy milk: you can buy milk and chocolate milk at the grocery and send it in their lunch boxes. I did that for my kids. They didn't have enough time to stand in line for a milk and be able to eat their packed lunch, so I just packed everything for them with a 'blue ice cube' to keep it all cold.
Horizon (organic) and Nesquik both make shelf-stable milk singles too, so you don't even have to pack the ice cube.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13


Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #49
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
I don't think it's incorrect at all.

Again..have you or anyone else actually looked at the standards? This is not cruelty..it's simply giving them a well balanced meal. I don't see the need for a "happy medium" I suppose because no matter how you slice it..crap is crap and isn't needed in a school lunch and kids will indeed survive with a increase in veggies and fruits and a limit on fats and calories.

That's really all this is doing..it is stating that NO a 6 year old should not be eating 800 calories at lunch. That no a child should not have a meal that is full of fat/trans fat or carbs/sugars. That kids don't need 6 nuggets or 4 fish sticks. That they don't need the high carb white roll. Really what is such a huge deal about it? I just do not get the horror and uproar that they dare make an attempt for kids to eat healthier and more well rounded meals. Parents have been griping about the "crap" of school lunches for YEARS yet now that they take steps to remove the mac and cheese and hamburgers they are all up in arms? Come on..no kid will die due to an increase in veggies and fruits, a decrease in fats/sodium/sugar and reasonable portion sizes and caloric intake. In fact they might actually be healthier. You might slowly start to see less and less 8 year olds with big giant bellies or kids who are obese (and I am under no illusions school lunches will fix all of that but hopefully I can't see how it can have anything but a positive impact on nutrition and weight).
All it's doing is creating more trash (for the younger kids) and hunger in the older kids (who aren't getting enough food).

You don't see the need for a happy medium? Well, this is what you end up with.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #50
Coconut36
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
All it's doing is creating more trash (for the younger kids) and hunger in the older kids (who aren't getting enough food).

You don't see the need for a happy medium? Well, this is what you end up with.
You think kids throwing food in the trash is new? So what is your grand solution then? The kid mentioned above who refused to eat the lettuce and tomato on his taco and threw out the burrito..what's your solution to that? What's the solution if Susie doesn't like the carrots and doesn't eat them? What's the "happy medium" here? What exactly are you advocating should be served if not healthy, well balanced meals because they "create more trash"?
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #51
Coconut36
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
The solution is for parents to be responsible for what their child eats, not the school. If your kid is still hungry because the school lunch isn't enough or they are throwing half the stuff away, then pack what they will eat. If your kid will only eat ho-hos and cool ranch doritos (my HS lunch choice ) then pack them a bag full of that stuff. Don't complain about the choice the school is giving your kids if you yourself aren't giving them one too.
I'm all for healthy options and I think the school has a responsibility to offer those, however if you as a parent don't like it, then you are free to take care of your child's lunch needs/wants yourself
Well said..especially the bold. (My HS lunch choice was a coke and soft pretzel )
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #52
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
You think kids throwing food in the trash is new? So what is your grand solution then? The kid mentioned above who refused to eat the lettuce and tomato on his taco and threw out the burrito..what's your solution to that? What's the solution if Susie doesn't like the carrots and doesn't eat them? What's the "happy medium" here? What exactly are you advocating should be served if not healthy, well balanced meals because they "create more trash"?
My kids don't throw food in the garbage...DD because her lunch is packed and DS because he doesn't get enough to eat as it is. NO way would he throw good food away!

No, I don't believe throwing food in the trash is new, but since this new program started, trash has greatly increased (per the multiple news stories about it).

Anyway, this was all gone over in the other lunch thread. You won't change my mind and I won't change yours.

You're convinced every parent feeds their kids "crap" and well, I know they don't.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #53
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
So you feed them a 2nd lunch and then proceed to feed them dinner a few hours later? I can't see why a "huge 2nd lunch" could possibly be needed when dinner would likely be served within a few hours of returning home (here kids get out at 3:30..we eat dinner by 5:30-6pm at the latest). Maybe I am misunderstanding your school start/lunch/stop and dinner times?
I guess everyone is different... My daughter gets out of high school at 1:55, we are at home by 2:05 and she eats a good size lunch then (lunch at school: 10:45). At our house, dinner isn't usually until at least 7:30PM, DD doesn't eat until around 9/9:30 on the days she has dance class (twice a week)
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #54
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I haven't updated my children's ages in quite a few years. They are a good deal older than they were then. A typical day eating in my house is the following: Their breakfast consists of a bowl of oatmeal with fresh fruit in it, a yogurt, banana, and a cup of juice. Their lunch is a turkey roll up, pretzels, apple, raw carrots and milk. Their mid day snack is usually a Fiber one bar or apple slices with peanut butter. Dinner at home is baked chicken breast, baked potato, broccoli and a salad with a glass of milk. If they need anything in between those only fruit and veggies are allowed. My DH is 6 feet and he remembers being a teenager. I'm not saying my way is the only way or the right way. Nor am I saying a few pieces of fruit is a meal. Nor am I saying they never deviate from that. They have birthday cake and ice cream when going to parties and we have dessert for special occasions. I just think we (in general) need to look at food as fueling the body more than a hobby. YMMV.
But you are taking it as I say let them eat whatever they want. What I am saying is the teen boys need more food period. My DS would starve on 1 piece of baked chicken, Baked potato, those don't exist around here except as a treat, a food that really is wasted white carbs, Broccoli, loves it and will eat a ton, but not a filling food at all, milk, we are all haters of the white stuff except for cereal. When we cook out he will eat at least 2 sometimes 3 burgers, salad. Won't touch a sandwich unless it has lettuce and tomato on it. Eats Greek yogurt, fruit. But he eats all the time. A pizza, is a whole pizza. Sloppy Joes the other night, he ate 4 of them. He is fueling his body, he is very active , insane shape. Tae kwon Do, PT for ROTC. and personal trainer. Not an once of fat on that boy. But a box of cereal is about 3 servings for him, and no I am not kidding. And you can't pinch fat.

ETA, He will actually fuss at me when on a rare occasion, I serve dinner without a green veggie. The boy loves food. Just a ton of it. Also snack I agree with you, the only difference is mine is not an "or", he would have the fiber bar and the fruit with peanut butter, and then maybe a yogurt, while asking what is for dinner. lol

Last edited by mhsjax; 09-26-2012 at 02:44 PM.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #55
Coconut36
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
My kids don't throw food in the garbage...DD because her lunch is packed and DS because he doesn't get enough to eat as it is. NO way would he throw good food away!

No, I don't believe throwing food in the trash is new, but since this new program started, trash has greatly increased (per the multiple news stories about it).

Anyway, this was all gone over in the other lunch thread. You won't change my mind and I won't change yours.

You're convinced every parent feeds their kids "crap" and well, I know they don't.
OK you didn't answer my question..your claim is that healthier food means kids are throwing most of it in the trash and a "happy medium" is required..what exactly is a happy medium? What do you think should be done then to "reduce" the trash? What is this magical happy medium you keep speaking of?
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #56
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
The solution is for parents to be responsible for what their child eats, not the school. If your kid is still hungry because the school lunch isn't enough or they are throwing half the stuff away, then pack what they will eat. If your kid will only eat ho-hos and cool ranch doritos (my HS lunch choice ) then pack them a bag full of that stuff. Don't complain about the choice the school is giving your kids if you yourself aren't giving them one too.
I'm all for healthy options and I think the school has a responsibility to offer those, however if you as a parent don't like it, then you are free to take care of your child's lunch needs/wants yourself
On an individual level I agree. But I was mainly thinking at the program level.

Right now, the school lunch program is caught between two conflicting goals - making sure kids have full bellies so that they aren't distracted from learning by hunger, and making sure the food they are getting during the day meets basic nutritional standards. I tend to think that kids will adjust to the new lunches given time. And I don't think any of the efforts to overturn the standards without giving them a chance to do so come from a place of true concern for the children; it is just another dig to throw at the opposition during a particularly vicious election season.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13


Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #57
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
OK you didn't answer my question..your claim is that healthier food means kids are throwing most of it in the trash and a "happy medium" is required..what exactly is a happy medium? What do you think should be done then to "reduce" the trash? What is this magical happy medium you keep speaking of?
NOt my post, but maybe they should learn to cook. lol. I know my DD has a good friend that is very picky. She comes over and I am cooking and she turns up her nose, then I make her try it and she loves it. There is an art to cooking, schools just don't have the time, and there are moms who don't require their kids to eat healthy. I hate when kids come over and they say they don't eat things and the list is a mile long. They look at my kids like they have 3 heads, we have adventurous eaters. But you know just by reading here on the dis, how many people only let their kids eat chicken nuggets and fries, and I am not talking about hose kids with certain issues, as in allergies or texture issues.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #58
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
Well said..especially the bold. (My HS lunch choice was a coke and soft pretzel )
I'm not sure why there isn't the expectation that the parent should be the one ultimately responsible for what their child is eating.
I understand all the reasons why kids don't want to eat school lunches, what I don't understand is why parents expect the school to do something different about it.
Okay, I admit it would be nice to see the food, especially the veggies prepared in an appetizing way, but if my kid isn't going to eat them because they think they are mush, then I'm the one that should be sending in what they will eat instead of complaining that they aren't eating their school provided. Tomorrows veggie choice is collard greens, and I'm betting that 95% of them are going to end up in the trash. Since my kids won't be in that 5% of those who eat them, they'll bring. Easy peasy Or easy collard greensy
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #59
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Neverland USA
Posts: 2,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
The solution is for parents to be responsible for what their child eats, not the school. If your kid is still hungry because the school lunch isn't enough or they are throwing half the stuff away, then pack what they will eat. If your kid will only eat ho-hos and cool ranch doritos (my HS lunch choice ) then pack them a bag full of that stuff. Don't complain about the choice the school is giving your kids if you yourself aren't giving them one too.
I'm all for healthy options and I think the school has a responsibility to offer those, however if you as a parent don't like it, then you are free to take care of your child's lunch needs/wants yourself
Actually, parents are not allowed to take care of their child's lunch needs at many private schools. Lunches from home are not allowed. The private schools have been serving the low calorie, low fat and protein, high veggie and fruit, green, sustainable, locally grown lunches for a few years. I expect that the public schools will jump on the same bandwagon and ban brown bag lunches.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #60
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
On an individual level I agree. But I was mainly thinking at the program level.

Right now, the school lunch program is caught between two conflicting goals - making sure kids have full bellies so that they aren't distracted from learning by hunger, and making sure the food they are getting during the day meets basic nutritional standards. I tend to think that kids will adjust to the new lunches given time. And I don't think any of the efforts to overturn the standards without giving them a chance to do so come from a place of true concern for the children; it is just another dig to throw at the opposition during a particularly vicious election season.
Gotcha
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.