Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #136
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
For one meal yeah it is.

5 chicken nuggets have somewhere around 12-14 grams of protein (obviously can vary slightly based on size of nuggets).

Children aged 4-8 need 19 grams of protein for the DAY! Kids aged 9-13 need 34 grams. So for kids 9-13 a serving of 5 chicken nuggets (recommended serving size on the frozen nuggets) would be almost HALF the protein they need for the ENTIRE DAY in just one meal.

Protein is not the end all be all for a meal..kids getting 2 nuggets are getting plenty of protein for that meal. So many people clearly have no idea what a reasonable portion size is (not only for themselves but for children) and what is recommended per day for children in regards to proteins, veggies, fruits..etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...s/protein.html
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. What is the portion size on the chicken nuggets? Are they baked or fried? Are they white meat or a combination of white and dark meat? All of this comes into play. I would think 4 chicken nuggets are more in line with what the elementary children should be eating. Of the bags I checked online, the portion size was 4 nuggets and they contained 11g of protein. On the tray in the article, there were 2 nuggets which is 1/2 serving or 5.5 g of protein. The article also said, " In general, it's recommended that 10–35%". So what % did their calculation use? Activity is also not included. The competitive swimmer that is going to the pool for 2 hours after school needs a lot more than 2 nuggets, same for that soccer player, dancer etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilberry View Post
It is surprising at how nutritionalists often disagree with each other, on what is healthy to eat and what isn't. With that said, I guess the main idea behind the new fewer calorie lunches is to help being about weight loss in obese students.

With students going hungry and growing tried, I wonder if studies where done on these new school lunches to see if they helped bring about weight loss, improved health and school learning too? After seeing the meals being served from the TV show, I'm doubting this was done.

I do recall reading a few studies on foods that cause the greatest feeling of satiety, on obesity researcher Dr. Guyenet's sight though:

"Palatability, Satiety and Calorie Intake"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ie-intake.html

&

"Paleolithic Diet Clinical Trials, Part V"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ls-part-v.html

snippet from his article:
I agree. It is quite interesting how people in the nutrition field seem to disagree with each other. I think it shouldn't be just decreasing the calories though. It still needs to be well balanced.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld

Last edited by ccgirl; 09-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #137
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
What does how many bites it is have to do with anything?

It's more than enough protein, and I think any kid would be FAR better off with some other source of protein, or less protein in lunch than that even provides, than eating chicken nuggets.

Many, many people do have a very skewed idea of what people need nutritionally, and how much is in various things and etc.

Especially protein. People are like, obsessed with it and Americans, in general, eat far, far too much protein. Eating too much protein causes kidney problems, as well as other issues, depending on what kinds of protein.

You say above the government said we should eat carbs and doctors say this is what's making us fat - that's ... not true? I don't really even understand what you mean as you later say people should eat good carbs, which is what the RDA has always stressed, grains, fibre, etc.

A lot of people are saying kids can have up to four choices of produce, and a previous thing said those servings had been upped to a cup. A cup of broccoli, one of carrots, a cup of lettuce, an apple, a couple of nuggets ( ) and some rice or a roll or whatever is plenty for lunch.

That's the other thing - I've seen people talking (both here in numerous threads and in some of those articles) about kids not being full enough.

There was a thread a while back from someone asking what to pack for lunch because her elementary kid wasn't "full enough" with a sandwich, an apple, crackers, a drink and a dessert. It was like....

There's clearly a distorted expectation or two there, that eating a meal should leave one feeling some version of stuffed, that eating will lead to an immediate feeling of 'fullness' and when it doesn't, keep eating until it does (which will inevitably lead to overeating, as it takes a decent while for that information to register), etc.
We do agree on chicken nuggets, they shouldn't even be there. But I disagree on the carb thing. WE are not protein obsessed and all my Dr's and my DH's drs have stated that we are all eating for too many carbs. Protein fills you up, not carbs. I am not talking about stuffing yourself with protein, but I am of the exact opposite of you, I also believe that you are a vegetarian, so I believe you would be against any animal protein. It isn't the bad thing that it is made out to be. Chicken nuggets bad, lean protein good. And again I disagree about your cup of broccoli, carrots and rice and 2 nuggets being enough, yes they would be full for a while, but these kids need to stay full for longer than just a while. I have managed to raise 3 kids that aren't fat in the least, so I do have some first hand knowledge of what a kid needs and doesn't need in order to stay in the correct weight range.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #138
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Could you please show me where I said that I know more than they do. Again, just going by all the info out there on the blessed "food pyramid" and how wrong they were in what they said to eat.
Do please show me when it was stated we should eat tons of carbs and how that relates to the "food pyramid"? You also know that the pyramid has since been replaced, right?

Why do you think kids need 12-14 grams of protein in one meal?
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #139
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. What is the portion size on the chicken nuggets? Are they baked or fried? Are they white meat or a combination of white and dark meat? All of this comes into play. I would think 4 chicken nuggets are more in line with what the elementary children should be eating.

I agree. It is quite interesting how people in the nutrition field seem to disagree with each other. I think it shouldn't be just decreasing the calories though. It still needs to be well balanced.
This is my point also, if experts can't agree, then how do some here seem to know exactly what is acceptable and what isn't. Although some seem to and then laugh at those of us who dare to question them. That is ok though, I don't back down that easy.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #140
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. What is the portion size on the chicken nuggets? Are they baked or fried? Are they white meat or a combination of white and dark meat? All of this comes into play. I would think 4 chicken nuggets are more in line with what the elementary children should be eating.

And your opinion on that is based on what exactly? Because you just think it is so or you have actual data that shows 4 is necessary vs 2.

It's baked, white meat chicken nuggets that I was looking at.

Here is an example that shows you protein for 4 breaded, white meat chicken nuggets: http://www.fosterfarms.com/products/...ductcode=90969

13 grams of protein in those 4 nuggets and that is almost 1/2 the DAILY needs for kids 8-13. Then factor in the 160 calories and 80 fat calories and 9 grams of fat.

I agree with cornflake in regards to the whole protein obsession thing. People eat way more than is necessary and think way more is necessary than really is.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #141
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do please show me when it was stated we should eat tons of carbs and how that relates to the "food pyramid"? You also know that the pyramid has since been replaced, right?

Why do you think kids need 12-14 grams of protein in one meal?
That is my point, Thank you for making it. It changes . And I did some looking up of my own. Baylor college of medicine had an article that said toddlers need 16 grams of protein a day, that CDC site you listed said kids 9-13 needed 34 grams a day. Last time I checked, 14 isn't half of 34. They probably aren't getting protein for breakfast, so this isn't that far off. They should get the other half for dinner or in snacks.

Last edited by mhsjax; 09-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #142
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

I would only have a real problem with this if my son was not allowed to bring his own lunch. Other than that, the government and the schools that are part of it, will do what they want to and change their minds a few years later. We're the parents and need to remember that ultimately the buck stops with us. My son packs his own lunch and buys an occasional addition.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #143
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is my point, Thank you for making it.
And your point would be what?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #144
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We do agree on chicken nuggets, they shouldn't even be there. But I disagree on the carb thing. WE are not protein obsessed and all my Dr's and my DH's drs have stated that we are all eating for too many carbs. Protein fills you up, not carbs. I am not talking about stuffing yourself with protein, but I am of the exact opposite of you, I also believe that you are a vegetarian, so I believe you would be against any animal protein. It isn't the bad thing that it is made out to be. Chicken nuggets bad, lean protein good. And again I disagree about your cup of broccoli, carrots and rice and 2 nuggets being enough, yes they would be full for a while, but these kids need to stay full for longer than just a while. I have managed to raise 3 kids that aren't fat in the least, so I do have some first hand knowledge of what a kid needs and doesn't need in order to stay in the correct weight range.
Yes, I'm a vegetarian. I'm not a vegan.

As for meat, yes, I believe it absolutely is the "bad thing it's made out to be" it's dead, rotting flesh that no one needs to consume.

People do, and they're free to choose to; I'm not stopping anyone. However, it's neither needed nor more healthy than other options.

There are plenty of protein sources that do not involve meat and, again, Americans eat FAR too much protein, in general.

Broccoli and carrots and etc., do fill people up - they're root and cruciferous vegetables full of fibre. When you say the kids need to be full longer than just a while - this is what I was talking about above.

No, they don't need to be 'full' for a long time. At all. They need to not be hungry (those are two ENTIRELY different things), and it's lunch - how long a time are we talking? There are people in this thread saying their kids eat another full meal three hours after school lunch, have snacks two hours after, etc. There's no long time they need to be satisfied (not kept full) by lunch, and broccoli and carrots and grain and etc., will certainly do that and more.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #145
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:

As for meat, yes, I believe it absolutely is the "bad thing it's made out to be" it's dead, rotting flesh that no one needs to consume.

People do, and they're free to choose to; I'm not stopping anyone. However, it's neither needed nor more healthy than other options.

There are plenty of protein sources that do not involve meat and, again, Americans eat FAR too much protein, in general.

Broccoli and carrots and etc., do fill people up - they're root and cruciferous vegetables full of fibre. When you say the kids need to be full longer than just a while - this is what I was talking about above.

No, they don't need to be 'full' for a long time. At all. They need to not be hungry (those are two ENTIRELY different things), and it's lunch - how long a time are we talking? There are people in this thread saying their kids eat another full meal three hours after school lunch, have snacks two hours after, etc. There's no long time they need to be satisfied (not kept full) by lunch, and broccoli and carrots and grain and etc., will certainly do that and more.

I will tell you that my son needs and burns a lot of calories. Sometimes there are many hours between lunch and dinner if he has activities after school and he needs to be properly fueled. But as the parent, I know its my job and not the school system's to fuel him.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #146
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And your point would be what?
Well crap the rest didn't post. My point is it changes, they don't know what is best. Also Baylor College of Medicine says that toddlers need approx 16 grams each day. The site you listed says that 9-13 year olds need 34 grams. Last time I checked 12 grams of protein wasn't half of 34. They probably don't get any at breakfast, so less than half at lunch isn't that far off as far as I am concerned. They should be getting the rest for snack and/or dinner.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #147
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I will tell you that my son needs and burns a lot of calories. Sometimes there are many hours between lunch and dinner if he has activities after school and he needs to be properly fueled. But as the parent, I know its my job and not the school system's to fuel him.
Sure, and some kids run from school to fencing practice or whatever, and don't get home until dinner. As you say, that's the individual deal, not the school's to assume every kid needs more than 1/3 of the day's calories from lunch, which is what the new menus are meant to provide.

If a kid is in that position, they should pack something to eat. Many of the people in the thread, however, have said their kids eat lunch at school and come home and eat three hours later.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #148
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well crap the rest didn't post. My point is it changes, they don't know what is best. Also Baylor College of Medicine says that toddlers need approx 16 grams each day. The site you listed says that 9-13 year olds need 34 grams. Last time I checked 12 grams of protein wasn't half of 34. They probably don't get any at breakfast, so less than half at lunch isn't that far off as far as I am concerned. They should be getting the rest for snack and/or dinner.
Ok, if someone actually ate something for breakfast, how would they manage to do that without getting ANY protein, exactly?! Protein is in pretty much everything - :whisper even broccoli (which, just btw, has a ton of protein ).
Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #149
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And your opinion on that is based on what exactly? Because you just think it is so or you have actual data that shows 4 is necessary vs 2.

It's baked, white meat chicken nuggets that I was looking at.

Here is an example that shows you protein for 4 breaded, white meat chicken nuggets: http://www.fosterfarms.com/products/...ductcode=90969

13 grams of protein in those 4 nuggets and that is almost 1/2 the DAILY needs for kids 8-13. Then factor in the 160 calories and 80 fat calories and 9 grams of fat.

I agree with cornflake in regards to the whole protein obsession thing. People eat way more than is necessary and think way more is necessary than really is.
As far as what I am basing my opinion on it could my nutrition science degree. As I mentioned in my post, it depends on what kind of chicken nuggets they are. The chicken nuggets I was using had 11g in 4 nugggets. If 10 - 35% of your daily calories should come from protein and the "average" girl between 9 and 13 should comsume 1600 to 2000 calories a day, that should mean that about 450 calories should come from protein.

Bottom line, I think the schools are on the right train of thought but they definitely have more room to grow. No more posting on this thread for me.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #150
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We will ave to disagree, I disagree with being a vegetarian or vegan. However I also love my veggies and sorry but carrots and broccoli will not fill you up. I know I eat them. My kids can't do the sports they do and eat little veggies and be expected to perform. My child does eat a sandwich about 3 hours after school, but she then goes to 2 hours of very intense cheer practice and then she eats again. Her weight is fine and her Dr has no problem with it. My DS, eats non stop, he is extremely healthy, according to his blood work and is 5"10 and has a 31 inch waste. I don't have a problem with kids eating veggies, I am in the same boat that thinks parents give their kids way too much junk, but I don't think that 2 chicken nuggets will cut it for protein.

I do agree that the school did serve junk, it still serves junk. they are trying to clean it up, but they still serve the crap.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: