Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Dragonfly_34
Mouseketeer

School Lunches

I heard this on the news this morning and thought it was interesting given the recent discussion here about school lunches.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/...ry?id=17324285
June '11 ~ Caribbean Beach Resort
Oct '14 ~ Animal Kingdom Villas
Dragonfly_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

I'm sure Michelle would say let them eat cake....er, vegetables
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Given what I saw when I ate lunch at my children's school years ago, the problem likely is them not eating everything on their plate. I watched all the kids sitting around me pick at their food and eat only one or two elements of their lunches. Usually the veggies got passed over.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

It's funny b/c the girl in the photo has more on her tray than our kids are getting at their cafeterias.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Our local newspapers covered this story last week. The average complaint was from people receiving free or subsidized lunches. Most were complaining that the kids were hungry after school or before after-school activities, creating an increase in home grocery budgets. Many of those who complained expressed a desire that an afternoon snack/dessert should be provided. Imagine having to plan snacks for your own kids.
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I also wondered about kids that don't get food at home, and you know there a bunch of those kids. Yes, they would be hungry if all they got was 800 calories a day.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
Given what I saw when I ate lunch at my children's school years ago, the problem likely is them not eating everything on their plate. I watched all the kids sitting around me pick at their food and eat only one or two elements of their lunches. Usually the veggies got passed over.
I suspect that's the real reason most of the kids feel hungry - they aren't actually eating all their lunch. Plus, if they are used to eating 1000+ calroies of pizza and french fries, then I'm sure it is a different feeling for them.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
DISvirgin1
Mouseketeer

I'm a child care provider who is on the food program, very similar to school lunche program. Let me tell you, most of what I serve goes in the trash (and it's not my cooking! ) The kids will not eat most veggies, fruits, or the main course. They will eat any bread/grain, and ask for more...
Another parent was complaining that her child is hungry at school, but her child refuses to eat any vegetables. So she packs her lunch full of junk that she will eat
February 2013 Second Visit - AoA LM Room
February 2011 First Visit - LBV Best Western
DISvirgin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

My elementary school children refuse to buy lunch, because it's so gross. They will eat healthy at home, but healthy her is edible healthy. My teens have open lunch, and never eat in anyway.

I think 800 calories would be okay, if it was all eaten. However, I doubt most of it is. I remember the cafeteria at college (decades ago), and the freshmen 15 brought on by cheese fries and the ice cream bar. I ate very healthy at home (fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, beef and chicken prepared well and healthy), but not at school, where the healthier options were "yucky." I never ate a canned vegetable in my life.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

I think it is ridiculous to think a 17 yr old boy would be filled by 2 nuggets and 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes. That is like 2 bites for a teen. Oh and some vegetables that would be burned off in nothing flat. A teen boy needs 2500 calories plus a day, that makes for some huge snacks to make those calories up with that lunch.

If I read that correct and that high school amounts are the same as elementary that is really nuts.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Starbrite
DIS'ing since 2004........... Didn't like my old name ;)

My DS16 has been known to buy 2-3 lunches at at time. He says theres just no way to get full from the little bit of food the school gives. And keep in mind, many of these high school kids go straight from school to an acfter school sport or activity. So those 2 fish nuggets are all theyre getting until 5-6pm.

I've seen our school lunches. I know I'd be starving by 2pm!
Starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

In my house we give one serving of things with the exception of fruits and vegetables. Those are unlimited. I tell them if they are hungry enough, eat fruit or drink water. Otherwise, I don't want to hear it. Suck it up buttercup! The other night my son had a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, a handful of pretzels, 3 pieces of watermelon and about 25 grapes. I know not all parents are that way. I watch my SiL cry how my niece is so obese yet offers her nothing nutritional or does not limit her intake because" she is hungry and will only eat certain things". 3 bowls of pasta, and 2 hostess cupcakes does not a nutritional dinner make. Granted, I started the healthy eating early so it comes as second nature. My DD is more challenging as she is not a big fan of fruits and vegetables. I still don't cave into her though. I had the talk about how she has to keep the right fuel in her body to keep it going.

However, even saying that, I agree the portion on that tray is more geared for elementary students. I cannot see that as a proper portion for high school students and probably not even middle school students. I would think 4 - 6 nuggets would be more appropriate.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
My elementary school children refuse to buy lunch, because it's so gross. They will eat healthy at home, but healthy her is edible healthy. My teens have open lunch, and never eat in anyway.

I think 800 calories would be okay, if it was all eaten. However, I doubt most of it is. I remember the cafeteria at college (decades ago), and the freshmen 15 brought on by cheese fries and the ice cream bar. I ate very healthy at home (fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, beef and chicken prepared well and healthy), but not at school, where the healthier options were "yucky." I never ate a canned vegetable in my life.
Exactly. My kids eat healthy at home. they love broccoli, zucchini and squash, green beens, sweet potatoes. They also love broiled fish and baked or gilled skinless boneless chicken breast. They also, (big shocker here) like their veggies steamed with no cheese sauce like most kids do. BUT, they won't touch a school lunch veggie. To label most of that stuff as food is an insult. And lets be real, I love veggies, but they in no way shape or form fill you up. Fruit, it does for about 30 minutes, after that sugar leave, yes it is natural but it is still sugar, I am hungry.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
In my house we give one serving of things with the exception of fruits and vegetables. Those are unlimited. I tell them if they are hungry enough, eat fruit or drink water. Otherwise, I don't want to hear it. Suck it up buttercup! The other night my son had a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, a handful of pretzels, 3 pieces of watermelon and about 25 grapes. I know not all parents are that way. I watch my SiL cry how my niece is so obese yet offers her nothing nutritional or does not limit her intake because" she is hungry and will only eat certain things". 3 bowls of pasta, and 2 hostess cupcakes does not a nutritional dinner make. Granted, I started the healthy eating early so it comes as second nature. My DD is more challenging as she is not a big fan of fruits and vegetables. I still don't cave into her though. I had the talk about how she has to keep the right fuel in her body to keep it going.

However, even saying that, I agree the portion on that tray is more geared for elementary students. I cannot see that as a proper portion for high school students and probably not even middle school students. I would think 4 - 6 nuggets would be more appropriate.
If I am reading correctly, your DS is 2. You wait until he is a teen. Well one serving for my DS is half a chicken. And fruit, multiple servings, not doing them any favors, it is still sugar. I read an interesting article a while back, it said people believe fruit is so good for you because it is natural, and while it is good for you, people think that they can eat as much as they want. This article also mentioned that back in the old days fruit wasn't as readily available and you had to eat what was in season, limiting the amount you ate. It said that these days people are in fact over doing the fruit.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
sunshine1178
DIS Veteran

The ideal thing would be to sign each kid up for WeightWatchers and find out how many PoinsPlus they need a day. Then we install tracking software on each child that tells how many points he's consumed, how many activity points he's earned, and how many points he needs to eat for the rest of the day.
sunshine1178 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: