Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger

?? number of bags on DCL transfer from resort to port

We may book a rental car to use at WDW the day before our cruise--pick up a few things and adult beverages. Part of the family will drive to port in rental car and others use DCL transfers.

How many bags can we take on the DCL bus from the resort to the port? Probably won't be enough room in the rental car for all the bags.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
clten
DIS Veteran

Officially, I believe DCL says something about 2 checked bags per person (and they send 2 luggage tags per person) but that is rarely checked or enforced. You can get extra baggage tags from the resort if you need them. Also, the checked bags don't actually travel on the bus with you so there is no limitation with space under the bus. If you have DCL transfers arranged from a WDW hotel, they will let you know the night before on the time on the bus pick up and what time to have your luggage ready for pick up (usually 8 am inside your room -- you don't have to be there to have them pick it up).

Now if you are having 2 people on the bus and everyone else in the rental car but having them load up 20 suitcases, they may look at you funny. But the bell services person just has a list of rooms to pick up luggage from and as long as they have cruise tags on them, I think they would take all the luggage you had there.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Correct--you will get 2 luggage tags per person, but the bellman at the resort will happily supply more (you'll write in the name and cabin number as they will be generic cruise tags).

If you put 2 people on the DCL transfer bus with 3-4 suitcases each, I doubt that anyone will say anything. If you go beyond that ????? The written info does say 2 per person, but I've never seen it enforced. You do not need a DCL tag on a carry on, only on checked bags. We do place an ID on carry on bags with our name and cabin number just in case it becomes separated from us!

Another option is that you can book luggage transfer only for $25 for up to 6 bags. I know, free is better, but it's a matter of how many bags you are trying to place on that luggage truck!

Obviously the bags will go to the cabin of the person riding the bus is you send extras with them.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
NC State Tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Another option is that you can book luggage transfer only for $25 for up to 6 bags. I know, free is better, but it's a matter of how many bags you are trying to place on that luggage truck!
How do you arrange for "luggage transfers"? They would pick up bags and you sould not see them again until they deliver them to your stateroom? Sounds good to me!

Am I correct in understanding that if DCL transfers are used, the bags would be picked up as early as 8:00a and would not travel on the bus with us? I had not planned to be up that early becasue I thought the DCL transfer bus did not pick up guests till approx 11:30
Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State Tigger View Post
How do you arrange for "luggage transfers"? They would pick up bags and you sould not see them again until they deliver them to your stateroom? Sounds good to me!

Am I correct in understanding that if DCL transfers are used, the bags would be picked up as early as 8:00a and would not travel on the bus with us? I had not planned to be up that early becasue I thought the DCL transfer bus did not pick up guests till approx 11:30
Yes, if you use DCL transfers, you're (generally) instructed to leave your bags, ready to go, in your room by 8:00 (or 8:30). They will be picked up and transported by truck to the ship for delivery to your room onboard. Guest pick up (by bus) is between 11:30-12:30 (depending on which resort you are staying at).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

To arrange luggage transfers when using private transportation for the people, call DCL or your travel agent.

Yes, luggage must be ready to be picked up by 8:00 or 8:30 (we've seen different times at different locations). Your bus departure time will be between 11:30 and 12:30 (you'll get a precise time from the hotel), and you are asked to be there well before the departure time. They won't wait if you are late!

The luggage time is the same whether you use the DCL transfers for people and luggage or just purchase luggage transfers. And yes, the luggage goes on a truck separate from the people.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
NC State Tigger

Thanks!!

Decisions. Decisions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: