Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #46
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElinor View Post
Um- not in Montana. That's part of my problem. I did check out STraight Talk and I'm really interested in that, but there are some coverage gaps that I'm concerned about. We don't have T-mobile, or Virgin, or any of a half-dozen mobile phone companies I've seen mentioned in this thread.
I think it would be helpful to let the rest of the commenters know that most of Montana has nothing but Verizon towers -- especially in the western portion of the state (so most of your recommendations for Sprint/T-Mobile isn't going to be very helpful to OP).

Note to OP: Does it "have" to be an iPhone? Your geographic location seriously limits your options -- as I said in a PP, I have a Verizon-networked Android, and I'll take $45 a month over $100 a month, any day of the week...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #47
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
I think it would be helpful to let the rest of the commenters know that most of Montana has nothing but Verizon towers -- especially in the western portion of the state (so most of your recommendations for Sprint/T-Mobile isn't going to be very helpful to OP).

Note to OP: Does it "have" to be an iPhone? Your geographic location seriously limits your options -- as I said in a PP, I have a Verizon-networked Android, and I'll take $45 a month over $100 a month, any day of the week...
I agree. I don't see that an iPhone is that much better than the Android phone in terms of what is available for it. It's much cheaper to buy and may be cheaper to use.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #48
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
I agree. I don't see that an iPhone is that much better than the Android phone in terms of what is available for it. It's much cheaper to buy and may be cheaper to use.
Indeed.

But, there are generally two arguments out there in support of the iPhone:
  • It's "user-friendly" (and, IMO, so is the Android)
  • It's Apple/a fashion statement/everyone else has one
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #49
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

if your kids are old enough to drive,they're old enough to pay for the phone they want. or at least a part of it.
my ds bought his first smartphone(droid) and is on the virgin mobile plan for 30.00 per month. He loves it as it's a text/data plan,with 300 talk minutes which he rarely uses.(he recently bought the iphone,and still pays that 30.00 per month)
so no, all smartphones aren't that expensive!
I use pageplus (b/c I like the coverage MUCH better) as our all around family phone- for 39.95 per month I get unlimited talk and text,(wifi wherever it's available) plus 100 mb of data. I use this carefully,as I don't 'need' data on most of the time.(I click it on/off as needed,it's easy) last month I turned it on perhaps once-twice daily,maybe 10 mins at a time to load an app,or navigate somehwere in the car(very nice)
*and I used about 15 mbs total.*
I boughta manufacturers refurb. phone on ebay (old droid,love it) and have all the bells and whistles of an android ,(cost of phone 60.00)
So total cost for one year of unlimited service is 540.00. including the phone.

(I stick with pageplus,they have AWESOME coverage)
no one will be stunted from lack of smartphones IMHO
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #50
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

pageplus runs on verizon network for cheap
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #51
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
as I said in a PP, I have a Verizon-networked Android, and I'll take $45 a month over $100 a month, any day of the week...
With 5 phones, the OPs total would still be $225/month if each phone runs her $45/month. While that sort of plan can be a good savings for an individual, with a 5 person family it doesn't really do much for her.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #52
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
yes, unfortunately.

DD15 and i each have a smartphone with 2Gb of data per month each. DH has a flip phone. our bill is $237.+ each month. of course, that is bundled with home phone and DSL, so it's not as bad as most people i know; but, for us, it's a LOT of money. we got scammed by a salesperson at the AT&T store (LONG story), and i'll NEVER go in there again. i'll get everything online from now on.
AT&T Online isnt much better, we do all our stuff at Radio Shack. They are the best IMHO dealing with ATT. They know the plans better than ATT themselves.

We have 3 smart phones, on the mobile share plan. BUT we dont have a land line or paid TV service (except netflix), we do have WIFI at home. So we use our phones a LOT. Its not a "need" but I wouldn't go back if I can afford it. I would of course go back to keep food on the table or the mortgage paid, but right now ours is $200 a month for 6 GB of data among us, and unlimited talk/txt.

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #53
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Indeed.

But, there are generally two arguments out there in support of the iPhone:
  • It's "user-friendly" (and, IMO, so is the Android)
  • It's Apple/a fashion statement/everyone else has one
I have a HTC Droid and Hubby has a iphone 4s. They are both easy to use - BUT the iphone is more "smooth" with is iOS that the HTC. I love my droid, he loves his iphone, but either one of us could use the other. I have an ipad (wifi only) and he has a droid tablet - the ipad is much easier to use, smooth and sleek. The droid tablet gets the job done, but its a bit more clunky.

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #54
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I'm planning on downgrading our smart phones when our contract says we can. We have Sprint and pay $215 a month for 4 phones, $80 of that is for unlimited data. We don't have iphones and they're not in the budget, the android based phones that we do have are junk. Without going into too much detail, they rarely do what we need them to do when we need them to do it. I need the phone so my kids can reach me and they need theirs to reach me, but there's no point to them if they don't work.

I use the data on mine maybe once a month for random things, it's definitely not a need.

I am hoping to save some money by going to a pay as you go plan when this contract is up, but I don't understand alot of the details that I'm reading about on here, when posters talk about "unlocked phones" it starts confusing me. I'm just not very knowledgeable about cell phones and plans.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #55
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

Quote:
LOL- I already have said that- twice- There are many great things about living here but cell service is not one of them.
Quote:
Yes, it does have to be an iphone. My husband is an Applophile. He's been waiting forever to get one- we've only had a network that can support an iphone for about a year, and I made him wait until our contract was up which just happens to coincide with the iphone 5 release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
pageplus runs on verizon network for cheap
Thanks! I'm just learning about these prepaid plans , they sound like a great alternative, depending on how many of us want smartphones.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #56
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

Wow, very happy I have a sister who works for a major cell phone retailer. I am on her employee rate plan and have to pay taxes only. I get unlimited talk, text, and only pay $25 per month for unlimited data, plus I get a new phone pretty often. Every time a new hot phone comes out the store employee is required to get it and give up their own phone. It goes back to the company to be sold as a refurb but sometimes they let them keep it for a while. In that case, she gives it to me, and I use it. However, if the company asks for it back she has to return it, which they normally don't until she switches phones again. Ex: She had to get an Iphone 4. When the next new Blackberry came out, the employees had to switch to that. She used that, I used the iphone 4, and then when the next new thing came out (I think it was an HTC) the company wanted the iphone4 back, and I got the Blackberry. She's on the iphone5 now, and I am oddly enough back to an iphone 4, it's the third one I've had. She has me, herself, and her friend on her employee plan (they are allowed 3 lines) and we have to be VERY careful with the phones, because if they get returned in poor condition then she has to pay full retail price minus her 30% discount.

I know I'm very lucky to be on this plan, and reading the actual costs of plans is pretty scary.
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #57
lizzytizzy
Mouseketeer

Verizon Wireless has a promotion where they give the iPhone 4 for free if you upgrade and sign on to a 2 year plan. I got that for DD15 . DH and I got smartphones as well. The plan is Share Everything plan which is unlimited texting and minutes, but we bought a 6 GB data. Total $188/month after employee discount is taken. Pre-ordered the iphone 5 as well!
lizzytizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #58
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

So today I got an email from Verizon that informed me I had been changed to the new Family Data Share Plan- with the exact same four phones I have now (no smartphones) for $190. Current plan is $119 (plus tax).

In other words, my visit to the Verizon store cost me $70 a month.

Needless to say, I immediately called Verizon and a very nice guy apologized for the Verizon store rep jumping the gun and putting me on the Family Share Plan. I'm sure he could see I am NOT under contract and had NOT purchased the iphones I had discussed with the Verizon store rep...

But he had to file paperwork to reverse the "upgrade" because it had been backdated to the start of the billing cycle. Sigh.

I told DH that I'm putting off changing for as long as I can. Every month I delay saves me $100- even he has quit wanting an iphone 5- I think he realizes that he just doesn't need it. Plus, we have an ipad, three desktop and three laptop Apple computers. Oh, and my son has a laptop PC and a desktop he built from scratch. That's 9 computers, and four phones for five people. Crazy.

Last edited by QueenElinor; 09-28-2012 at 11:45 PM.
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #59
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

With Verizon can you have an iPhone with no data plan on these phones? I know someone that has a Galaxy on Verizon but has no data plan. She just uses WiFi either at home or hotspots to use the Internet. Most apps works without the phone being connected to the Internet. That could save you a considerable amount.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #60
DawnM
Dawn

But that is the information we NEEDED in your OP. Hard to suggest and go into detail about plans when we have no idea that you have limited options anyway.

What towers/networks WORK in your area? If we start with that info, we can help with what pay as you go providers would be a good fit for you.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElinor View Post
Um- not in Montana. That's part of my problem. I did check out STraight Talk and I'm really interested in that, but there are some coverage gaps that I'm concerned about. We don't have T-mobile, or Virgin, or any of a half-dozen mobile phone companies I've seen mentioned in this thread.

What I might do is get my sister to put my daughter on her plan, and pay her back for it. Then DD can get her iphone. SHe's going to school in the Bay Area, and honestly, every kid there DOES have an iphone and I don't want to ignore the fact that technology is a really, really big deal there and her future may be dependent on how proficient she is with that kind of thing.

For me, DH, DS 20, and DS 14, not so much. DH loves him some Apple, though- we have more computers than people in this house . So I told him if he can make the media/communications costs net neutral after all the changes, I won't complain. (I'm lookin' at YOU Optimum!)

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: