Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

question about TSA/3-1-1 rule

Inexperienced at flying as a large family, and no clear answer on the TSA regs page...regarding the 3-1-1 rule, I know it is one qt -size zip bag per traveler, but can I put all the zip bags for the family in one carry on bag? I have a great vintage Samsonite train case I would like to use for everyone's toiletry items. Then I can pull all the zip bags out at once at the security checkpoint, put them all in one bin and put them right back in the train case once they're screened. Or does each individual need to carry her own zip bag separately in her own carry on bag?

Thanks!

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Hoopfamily
We're 3 Caballeros, We're 3 Caballeros, They say we are birds of a feather.

I don't think that would be a problem.
May '01 Orange Lake, Sept '02 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '06 Boardwalk, May '08 Radisson Worldgate, Oct '08Vistana Villages, May '09 Mariott Sabal Palms, June '10 Sabal Palms Again, Nov '12 ASMu, Sept '14 Saratoga Springs Resort

Hoopfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina
Inexperienced at flying as a large family, and no clear answer on the TSA regs page...regarding the 3-1-1 rule, I know it is one qt -size zip bag per traveler, but can I put all the zip bags for the family in one carry on bag? I have a great vintage Samsonite train case I would like to use for everyone's toiletry items. Then I can pull all the zip bags out at once at the security checkpoint, put them all in one bin and put them right back in the train case once they're screened. Or does each individual need to carry her own zip bag separately in her own carry on bag?

Thanks!
Each person will have to go through with their own carry-on with their own 3-1-1 bag.

If you think it through, you cannot be at the head of the line and then try to explain to the TSA agent there are five of you, only four with a carry-on and then you present all of the 3-1-1 bags, and then point out everyone else traveling. Imagine the confusion. In addition, if someone has an item that is not correct to take onboard, how do you determine who did not follow the rules.

You present your ID. You remove your shoes and pull out your 3-1-1 bag out of your carry-on. You are pulling the bin and placing the items for yourself only. The TSA agent scans it and waves you through and the next person goes through.

There are multiple lines, so you may not even be motioned to the same line.

It may make a lot more sense when you go through the line and you see how it works.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
julirina

Really, even in the family security lane? My 3yo is not going to be able to manage much beyond getting her shoes off. I was really hoping I could handle getting her toiletries screened and not have to wrestle with her bag in addition to my own. This is disappointing. I guess I'll be checking more than I'd planned.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

How many family members are you talking about? Sure there are multiple security lines, but how often does a family get split up? If they each put their baggie in a separate bin going through the x-ray machine, why couldn't they all put their baggies back into the same train case at the other end?
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
julirina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
How many family members are you talking about? Sure there are multiple security lines, but how often does a family get split up? If they each put their baggie in a separate bin going through the x-ray machine, why couldn't they all put their baggies back into the same train case at the other end?
Family of 6, but probably only 4 zip bags -- three for liquids and one for meds.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina
Really, even in the family security lane? My 3yo is not going to be able to manage much beyond getting her shoes off. I was really hoping I could handle getting her toiletries screened and not have to wrestle with her bag in addition to my own. This is disappointing. I guess I'll be checking more than I'd planned.
You can certainly do it for her; go through the family security line. But to do it for everyone would be too confusing.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Amandaka78
Earning My Ears

If you have 6 people flying you can have 6 -1qt bags all in one carryon bag and they can all go in the same bin. Also your 3 year old does not have to remove her shoes or any other child you have under the age of 12. Per the TSA officer I have sitting next to me.

February 1988 - Disney Inn, February 1990 - Polynesian, April 1992 - Yacht Club, April 1994 - Yacht Club, April 2003 - Yacht Club, December 2005 - Coronado Springs, October 2010 - Coronado Springs & Not coming soon enough: November 2012 - Coronado Springs and Disney Dream

Last edited by Amandaka78; 09-24-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: More info
Amandaka78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.

I am no fan of the TSA but people do it exactly how you've told us you want to do it ALL DAY LONG without confusion. Go ahead. They won't even ask you which family members they belong to, if they do just wave your hand in the air in no specific direction whatsoever and you will be cleared through.

Have a nice trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina View Post
Family of 6, but probably only 4 zip bags -- three for liquids and one for meds.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

You take the baggies out of the bag and put them into a bin. You do not have to use one bin per baggie. All baggies can be in one bin. Therefore, this is NOT a problem.

Sure you might run into a TSA in need of a coffee break who might huff and puff, but just show them the owners of the baggies. I assure you if you tried to use one bin per baggie there would be more huffing and puffing! It's already amazing how many bins a family (even my family of 3!) and space on the conveyor belt needs, let alone if it was one baggie per bin.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina View Post
You little one can keep her shoes on - children do not need to take them off (I cannot remember is the upper age limit is 12 years or 14 years, but it is definitely much higher than 3 years).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Hoopfamily
We're 3 Caballeros, We're 3 Caballeros, They say we are birds of a feather.

My daughter has always had to remove her shoes. Her first trip she was 3 and the last she was 6.
May '01 Orange Lake, Sept '02 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '06 Boardwalk, May '08 Radisson Worldgate, Oct '08Vistana Villages, May '09 Mariott Sabal Palms, June '10 Sabal Palms Again, Nov '12 ASMu, Sept '14 Saratoga Springs Resort

Hoopfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopfamily View Post
My daughter has always had to remove her shoes. Her first trip she was 3 and the last she was 6.
When was her last trip? Perhaps it was before the new rule was introduced.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
julirina

Thank you for all the input. I will prepare the kids for the possibility of taking off shoes; they will no doubt think that's hilarious and probably make stinky feet jokes all day. I'll pack all the toiletry bags together, go through the family line and pray for a kind and patient TSA agent who's having a great day.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,

According to the TSA website "Children 12 and under can leave their shoes on during screening"

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14
helenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: